Official "Hypothetically...Would Y'all Make This Trade?" Thread (1 Viewer)

I'm not focused on 1 player....I am focused on how he fits with the team and the net gain or loss to the TEAM. Literally, that has been what I have posted

If I support a trade, I can discuss how and why it would be a net positive (meaning address the gain vs the loss). That's all I have asked

And I have given my opinion several times on why I think defense only players are way overvalued in the NBA.... Especially in a starting 5. Herb is the only player that was discussed in trade.... and Fit would be a PG playing PG.... and a SG playing SG.... That's just my thing. Net positive is players playing their natural position.

Again, no offense to Herb... I'd love to add an actual starting PG and an Upgrade at C to this team's stating 5 and be able to keep Herb and JV on the team as rotational guys.... but that's not reality.

Reality is, we'll likely have to move on from both at some point soon to really compete. If you are looking for stats.... I'm not going to throw them around... way to subjective in the NBA 82 game season. Stats can paint a pretty picture, but they can't predict the weather (sorry miss jackson)

Last edited:
And I have given my opinion several times on why I think defense only players are way overvalued in the NBA.... Especially in a starting 5. Herb is the only player that was discussed in trade.... and Fit would be a PG playing PG.... and a SG playing SG.... That's just my thing. Net positive is players playing their natural position.

Again, no offense to Herb... I'd love to add an actual starting PG and an Upgrade at C to this team's stating 5 and be able to keep Herb and JV on the team as rotational guys.... but that's not reality.

Reality is, we'll likely have to move on from both at some point soon to really compete. If you are looking for stats.... I'm not going to throw them around... way to subjective in the NBA 82 game season. Stats can paint a pretty picture, but they can't predict the weather (sorry miss jackson)
I agree that stats aren't the end-all, be-all but it's at least something to back up an opinion

So if defense doesn't matter in today's NBA, why are people calling to get rid of JV for a rim protector who isn't a 3 point threat at all? JV is a good FT shooter, hits 35% of his 3s, and is a double double machine (for what it's worth, as much as I love JV, I think we would be better served with a rim protector. Our defense would be phenomenal with our length on the perimeter and a true rim protector at the 5)

I agree that stats aren't the end-all, be-all but it's at least something to back up an opinion

So if defense doesn't matter in today's NBA, why are people calling to get rid of JV for a rim protector who isn't a 3 point threat at all? JV is a good FT shooter, hits 35% of his 3s, and is a double double machine (for what it's worth, as much as I love JV, I think we would be better served with a rim protector. Our defense would be phenomenal with our length on the perimeter and a true rim protector at the 5)

How about actual situations...

Defensive players should be rotational pieces only.... Reason: Last night - 90% of the games are played in rotational defense... Every team switches everything nearly every play on the defensive end - very much negating your best defensive players abilities. Last night we kept trying to get Herb on Harden... They kept running action to get Zion switched to him... and he cooked Zion for good while. Herb's biggest strength is on ball defense... this is highly negated within today's NBA because everyone switches everything on nearly every play. This is my "back up" for not giving a poop about defensive only player in the starting 5. They have a place... it's not there in the modern NBA starting 5. Rim protection is not the same as "defense"... your 5 is one of the only guys that's not regularly in "rotation" - That is also a dying position in the NBA FWIW... very few teams have a big that's rim protecting old school player.

Also, when you add a real PG to the team instead rotational pieces playing out of position (Herb is not a 2 guard)... It frees up CJ, BI, and Z to play thier natural spots as well... (Instead of point Zion, point CJ, and point BI) - You are never going to come out of a TO with 2 secs on the clock and draw up a play to get Herb a shot.... You know this... I know this... the NBA knows this.... dead people know this... No more hot potato 3s at the end of the clock... No more blitz doubles leading to bad shots by bad shooters...

Games in the NBA are not won on defense... They are won by teams with Star talent across their entire starting unit.... 3 point shooting at the right time.... and not having a weak link other teams can force you into giving the ball to when it matters. Defense is almost strictly at the mercy of the Refs at this point... which makes it less valuable in your starting unit.... shooting... and only shooting.... is the most valuable asset in the NBA.... and takes priority over all else in comparison when it comes to winning.

How about actual situations...

Defensive players should be rotational pieces only.... Reason: Last night - 90% of the games are played in rotational defense... Every team switches everything nearly every play on the defensive end - very much negating your best defensive players abilities. Last night we kept trying to get Herb on Harden... They kept running action to get Zion switched to him... and he cooked Zion for good while. Herb's biggest strength is on ball defense... this is highly negated within today's NBA because everyone switches everything on nearly every play. This is my "back up" for not giving a poop about defensive only player in the starting 5. They have a place... it's not there in the modern NBA starting 5. Rim protection is not the same as "defense"... your 5 is one of the only guys that's not regularly in "rotation" - That is also a dying position in the NBA FWIW... very few teams have a big that's rim protecting old school player.

Also, when you add a real PG to the team instead rotational pieces playing out of position (Herb is not a 2 guard)... It frees up CJ, BI, and Z to play thier natural spots as well... (Instead of point Zion, point CJ, and point BI) - You are never going to come out of a TO with 2 secs on the clock and draw up a play to get Herb a shot.... You know this... I know this... the NBA knows this.... dead people know this... No more hot potato 3s at the end of the clock... No more blitz doubles leading to bad shots by bad shooters...

Games in the NBA are not won on defense... They are won by teams with Star talent across their entire starting unit.... 3 point shooting at the right time.... and not having a weak link other teams can force you into giving the ball to when it matters. Defense is almost strictly at the mercy of the Refs at this point... which makes it less valuable in your starting unit.... shooting... and only shooting.... is the most valuable asset in the NBA.... and takes priority over all else in comparison when it comes to winning.
The 9 out of 12 teams that are currently in the Top 6 of each conference that are top ranked defensive teams would disagree with you.

The only 3 teams that aren't are Milwaukee (whose owner fired their coach about 40 games in despite a great record specifically due to bad defense), the Pacers, and the Suns

The facts don't agree....defense is obviously very important

The 9 out of 12 teams that are currently in the Top 6 of each conference that are top ranked defensive teams would disagree with you.

The only 3 teams that aren't are Milwaukee (whose owner fired their coach about 40 games in despite a great record specifically due to bad defense), the Pacers, and the Suns

The facts don't agree....defense is obviously very important

Here we go with stats... LOL.... Told you I am not getting into that.... How many of those 9 are killing it from 3 and score in the top 10? Stats and bikinis or sumthin'

I didn't say defense wasn't important... I said it was controlled by Refs, and it's not nearly important as shooting/scoring (not close).

Defense in today's NBA is a team effort thing, and not a player thing - again everyone switches everything nearly every defensive possession... (which is why the Bucks brought in a coach and not wholesale player changes to fix their defense)

Players that specialize in defense and are liabilities as shooters - are replicable.... the most valuable asset in an NBA player today is shooting..... Those are the facts.

Last edited:
We are going to be players in the buy out market if there is one.

we have to add at least 1 guy

Last edited:
no rumors confirmed yet besides joe harris who is a decent wing

Any idea of who will be in the buyout market?
killian hayes looks decent for a flyer, corey joseph, joe harris spencer Dinwiddie also seth curry, davis bertands and one of the morris brothers. the one who hasn't been here lol

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom