Inflation here? gas/grocery prices just continue to climb (1 Viewer)

I cant say wages are going up for my company, pay raises have gone down from 5% to 1.5% now and that started last year on top of a temporary salary reduction due to Covid. Lets talk job market, as there are jobs out there for my occupation as a project manager but I am hard pressed to find anyone to match my salary for a lateral move much less find a higher paying one.
While your pay raises have decreased and/or stalled, the minimum wage has increased therefore putting budgeted pressure on companies to find ways to keep themselves within budgeted amounts.

Yes, costs of raw materials have gone up, feed for farm animals has gone up and fuel has skyrocketed which are all factors in inflation.

However, inflation and pay decreases come down to one large factor and that is pure unadulterated, old fashioned greed. The easiest thing for CEO's, COO's, Presidents and all those who sit on that side of the building to control are people. They have a scale of what to pay who for what they do and if it so much as infringes on their corporate salaries and/or bonuses, well then, "times are tight and we all have to sacrifice a little and do what is best for the company." Boom, layoff's and cutback's begin so they can keep or inflate their checks. I've seen this in action. They treat people like pawns on a chessboard. I promise you, no matter what a company says about how much they love their people, if your president of your company had to choose between keeping employees and increasing pay or laying some off and keeping his salary, I guran-damn-tee you he/she is keeping their bank account afloat.

Prime example is the company I work for. I will not name them but in 2022, we were told that inflation is hitting, our operations costs have increased and so on, so they changed the salary structures midway through the year on all of us. Basically, they took money away from us. Control the people. That year, they had a net profit of a billion dollars............ I'll say that again. A BILLION DOLLARS! These corporate fat cats, on top of their overinflated salaries, walked out with eight figure bonus checks! And this is after they took money away from the employees, told us that times were tight and all the other corporate BS they spew to justify in their heads their money. As a result, 12 people in my department, roughly half, left. They quit and took other jobs because of this disrespect.

Bottom line, companies can tell you whatever they think you need to hear to justify prices but at the end of the day, it is greed that is the main driver of inflation.

While your pay raises have decreased and/or stalled, the minimum wage has increased therefore putting budgeted pressure on companies to find ways to keep themselves within budgeted amounts.

Yes, costs of raw materials have gone up, feed for farm animals has gone up and fuel has skyrocketed which are all factors in inflation.

However, inflation and pay decreases come down to one large factor and that is pure unadulterated, old fashioned greed. The easiest thing for CEO's, COO's, Presidents and all those who sit on that side of the building to control are people. They have a scale of what to pay who for what they do and if it so much as infringes on their corporate salaries and/or bonuses, well then, "times are tight and we all have to sacrifice a little and do what is best for the company." Boom, layoff's and cutback's begin so they can keep or inflate their checks. I've seen this in action. They treat people like pawns on a chessboard. I promise you, no matter what a company says about how much they love their people, if your president of your company had to choose between keeping employees and increasing pay or laying some off and keeping his salary, I guran-damn-tee you he/she is keeping their bank account afloat.

Prime example is the company I work for. I will not name them but in 2022, we were told that inflation is hitting, our operations costs have increased and so on, so they changed the salary structures midway through the year on all of us. Basically, they took money away from us. Control the people. That year, they had a net profit of a billion dollars............ I'll say that again. A BILLION DOLLARS! These corporate fat cats, on top of their overinflated salaries, walked out with eight figure bonus checks! And this is after they took money away from the employees, told us that times were tight and all the other corporate BS they spew to justify in their heads their money. As a result, 12 people in my department, roughly half, left. They quit and took other jobs because of this disrespect.

Bottom line, companies can tell you whatever they think you need to hear to justify prices but at the end of the day, it is greed that is the main driver of inflation.

If the company you work for is publicly traded, then it has more to do with the stock price than it does about the CEO trying to maintain his salary.

The layoffs, the reduction in pay is more about maintenance of stock price. CEO/Exec bonuses are simply a by-product of them maintaining a certain level of profit that makes their stock more attractive.

Its a self-feeding cycle for both company/execs and stock valuation. Once a company is fully ensnared in that cycle, it can only go one way- up. By any means necessary. The first cost-cutting measure? the companys largest expense ( outside materials if producing product ) which is commonly payroll.

If the company you work for is publicly traded, then it has more to do with the stock price than it does about the CEO trying to maintain his salary.

The layoffs, the reduction in pay is more about maintenance of stock price. CEO/Exec bonuses are simply a by-product of them maintaining a certain level of profit that makes their stock more attractive.

Its a self-feeding cycle for both company/execs and stock valuation. Once a company is fully ensnared in that cycle, it can only go one way- up. By any means necessary. The first cost-cutting measure? the companys largest expense ( outside materials if producing product ) which is commonly payroll.
Private company. So here, it is corporate greed.

Yes, for a publicly traded company? "What's best for the company and stock holders."

Last edited:

Add to that the extra 14% they pocketed from the change in the corporate tax rate in 2017 from 35% to 21%. This was a bill of goods sold us in the form of “companies will have more money to create jobs and give raises.”

Bull****. Companies did what we all knew they would; hoard their cash and buy back their own stock, both of which they did at record-breaking levels. It was all just a 1.7 trillion subsidy for billionaires

Trickle down economics means nothing more than piss on my back and tell me it’s raining

Add to that the extra 14% they pocketed from the change in the corporate tax rate in 2017 from 35% to 21%. This was a bill of goods sold us in the form of “companies will have more money to create jobs and give raises.”

Bull****. Companies did what we all knew they would; hoard their cash and buy back their own stock, both of which they did at record-breaking levels. It was all just a 1.7 trillion subsidy for billionaires

Trickle down economics means nothing more than piss on my back and tell me it’s raining
Exactly!! Greed.....

Getting
Richer
Each &
Every
Day

I mean, greed’s not really about getting rich is it? It seems more about craving more than you need at the expense of others
Once again, the pathology of wealth addiction. Wealth addiction is no different than any other addiction. The addict will do whatever he/she needs to do to satisfy the craving. That it comes at the expense of others is no barrier, and the underlying addiction is chaos.

Excellent post!

Its a shame after all these years of proof that trickle down economics doesn't work, So many people still believe it..
With a religious fervor that has driven an entire party and seen the near downfall of our Democracy as those who've been conned into this have been reinforced by identity politics, coddled by racist musings and now bought into a cult led by a crazy person.

With a religious fervor that has driven an entire party and seen the near downfall of our Democracy as those who've been conned into this have been reinforced by identity politics, coddled by racist musings and now bought into a cult led by a crazy person.
And its not just Repubs either, i know many older Dems who think its real.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom