Space Ghost: Coast To Coast’s 30th Anniversary (1 Viewer)

Great show
Early days of Adult Swim were incredible
Usually, novel ideas or unusual but unique concepts work well when their just beginning but tend to get watered down when they begin trying to replicate or produce content to meet audience expectations as opposed to providing something different that made it stand out in the first place.

I never watched the show back in the day and I didnt start watching Adult Swim until maybe the mid-2000's, but the times I did capture a few minutes of Space Ghost: Coast to Coast, it came across as a bit silly, overreaching. Compared to later Adult Film shows like Robot Chicken or Children's Hospital, Space Ghost didnt really hit a nerve other then breathing life back into an older, 60's-70's children's cartoon character.

Discovering Space Ghost Coast to Coast and Mystery Science Theater 3000 around 1994 was like those monkey men discovering that monolith in "2001: A Space Odyssey" for me.
MTV was great, too until cracks began showing in the mid-80's when they began airing commercials and producing game show content like Remote Control that had nothing to do with music videos. At least Adult Swim got better and continued showing great, hilarious shows as time went along. MTV actually banned more then a few music videos that displayed content that is radically tame to today's ultra-shock standards. Twisted Sister, Ice T, NIN.

By the mid-late 90's, MTV was barely recognizable from its once-great landmark status that it had been a decade earlier because it had become so watered-down and over-commercialized.

Usually, novel ideas or unusual but unique concepts work well when their just beginning but tend to get watered down when they begin trying to replicate or produce content to meet audience expectations as opposed to providing something different that made it stand out in the first place.

I never watched the show back in the day and I didnt start watching Adult Swim until maybe the mid-2000's, but the times I did capture a few minutes of Space Ghost: Coast to Coast, it came across as a bit silly, overreaching. Compared to later Adult Film shows like Robot Chicken or Children's Hospital, Space Ghost didnt really hit a nerve other then breathing life back into an older, 60's-70's children's cartoon character.
Whatever man, Space Ghost was awesome

What he said...

On another note, in the next few weeks I'm going to be interviewing the writer of the new comic book series that's coming out on Wednesday. First issue was really good with only one small issue for fans...

Space Ghost kinda beat the sheet out of Brak. He might not make it if there's a reboot of the show. :hihi:

Sure man, whatever. I just liked Children's Hospital and Robot Chicken better. Nothing wrong with that. Space Ghost did breath life back into an older, forgotten 1960's Hanna-Barbarra cartoon character and it had an unique premise satirizing 90's and early 2000's late-night talk shows and it lasted 11 seasons, so it had a more-then-respectable run. Plus, it inspired other great Adult Swim shows like Aqua Teen Hunger Force and the Eric Andre show.
[/QUOTE

Last edited:
What he said...

On another note, in the next few weeks I'm going to be interviewing the writer of the new comic book series that's coming out on Wednesday. First issue was really good with only one small issue for fans...

Space Ghost kinda beat the sheet out of Brak. He might not make it if there's a reboot of the show. :hihi:
You do know that the original voice actor, C. Martin Crocker, who played the villainous "band leader" for Space Ghost, the evil preying mantis character, died in 2016. He also did the voice of Moltar, the show's director and producer, another villian from the original children's cartoon series who's body is made entirely out of lava.

MTV was great, too until cracks began showing in the mid-80's when they began airing commercials and producing game show content like Remote Control that had nothing to do with music videos. At least Adult Swim got better and continued showing great, hilarious shows as time went along. MTV actually banned more then a few music videos that displayed content that is radically tame to today's ultra-shock standards. Twisted Sister, Ice T, NIN.

By the mid-late 90's, MTV was barely recognizable from its once-great landmark status that it had been a decade earlier because it had become so watered-down and over-commercialized.
I think in the long run, Adult Swim may have had more of an impact.

You do know that the original voice actor, C. Martin Crocker, who played the villainous "band leader" for Space Ghost, the evil preying mantis character, died in 2016. He also did the voice of Moltar, the show's director and producer, another villian from the original children's cartoon series who's body is made entirely out of lava.
And, your point?

I think in the long run, Adult Swim may have had more of an impact.
Can you name a more influential channel on comedy?
Closest I see is Comedy Central, but they don’t have a cult like Adult Swim does.
And they’ve sorta fallen off a bit.
Adult Swim just keeps reloading to the point where they now have more airtime on the channel than Cartoon Network.

Since I’m reminiscing about Adult Swim, here’s some bumps from the beginning.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom