Heads up…Daniel Jeremiah’s final Mock Draft gonna be unveiled at 7 pm tonight (1 Viewer)

You’ve heard correctly on Fautanu. Saints would be backed into a corner to take him at #14 but I don’t think he’s on the board then.
If this is the case, then you can understand why they’re looking to move up, to ensure they get one of Alt/Fashanu/Fuaga/Latham, and not get burned by another known degenerative knee issue at the position. Trading up 2 spots with Denver should need enough, unless they’re dead set on one of them.

You’ve heard correctly on Fautanu. Saints would be backed into a corner to take him at #14 but I don’t think he’s on the board then.

It would be flat out stupid to take a player with a degenerative knee. I know you have some good inside sources, but I really hope the FO isn't that dumb, especially with all of the positive changes they have made this offseason. I can see the rationale if it's 8-9 years instead of 10-12, but if it ends up being 5-6, then a healthy player who might need a little more development makes more sense or just pivot to another position and then grab a player later to develop.

It would be flat out stupid to take a player with a degenerative knee. I know you have some good inside sources, but I really hope the FO isn't that dumb, especially with all of the positive changes they have made this offseason. I can see the rationale if it's 8-9 years instead of 10-12, but if it ends up being 5-6, then a healthy player who might need a little more development makes more sense or just pivot to another position and then grab a player later to develop.
I think it depends on how bad it is.

Would you re-draft Ram at 14, knowing how his career/knee would play out? I think I would.

They could go up with Alt, Fashanu, and Fuaga being the likely directions. I’ve heard some stuff on Alt.

It’s tricky because they feel backed into a corner on OL yet love 14 guys. In other words they feel they can get a very good player at #14. Bowers is the cleanest eval in the draft so if the top 4 tackles are gone it likely means he has fallen. If he has, then is it worth the risk trading up? I know Bowers would be strongly considered even if a top tackle is on the board. If it isn’t clear they love him.

If he’s also gone it means Turner and/or Murphy are there. They would get consideration. Same if a top 3 WR falls.

A dark horse pick might be Penix.
I’d be happy with Turner, Murphy, Alt, Fashanu, Bowers or Penix (not in that order).

I feel like mock drafters are overthinking Bowers. Someone takes him earlier, probably the Jets.

Ryan Ramczyk’s rapid and sudden health decline really put us in a bad spot. He’s only 30 and could be done. If he was healthy, there’s no reason he wouldn’t have had at least another 3 years of elite play.
It wasn't rapid. He had been declining for years, but they foolishly gave him a boatload of cash-poor management. Should have paid a healthy Tackle in free agency if you wanted to throw a way money.

Would you re-draft Ram at 14, knowing how his career/knee would play out? I think I would.
You could draft him for 5 years, then let him hit free agency and get a comp pick. No, we resigned him knowing he a a hand grenade in his knee.-Dumb

Maybe. The positive of drafting him with a degenerative knee is that it forces you to plan for his replacement sooner than later. It would be a better situation than to draft him with some knee injury history and then that turns degenerative later like Ram.

It's the same as going in knowing that RBs are disposable and you could essentially draft a good one, use him up on his first contract, rinse and repeat. That was the Colts model when they drafted Faulk, let him walk and had Edge ready to go.

I can see it with this line of thinking, but with the Ram developments this offseason and now the Hurst retirement, I think the would go at the position differently. Maybe differently is drafting a guy with a sooner expiration date to force the issue of replacing him sooner. It is a cheaper option since the 2nd contract wouldn't be for as much or at all.

At this point, I’m moving on to pick 45 lol. I’m convinced one of Fautanu, Fashanu, or Fuaga will be a Saint.
I am on this train of thinking also.

It would be interesting to know how they are ranked, but also how would they fit in the plan we have for out offensive line.

- I think Fashanu may be the higher ranked player, but I think he is only a left tackle. If we pick him, there should be a previous discussion if Penning can move inside or to the right side.

- Fuaga may be gone, but if he is taken, we need to have a plan for left tackle and left guard, seems to me he is a right side player.

- Fautanu may not be the highest ranked of the three, but he does give us flexibility to play tackle at both sides of the line, and for that reason only, he may be the choice.

If that happens we are going to need to call for a Med Check on Infoman.

I mean if it happens... that's the most "saints way" for it to happen.... and it would not surprise me in the least given this HC and GM. Every year I am screaming for Rousseau, and we draft a Turner.... Banging the table for Karlaftis, and we draft Penning... Begging for Kincaid or LaPorta, and we draft a Bresee.... Wondering who the heck Ruiz is, when Love, Aiyuk, and Queen are sitting there....

I mean I'm not always right.... I did want Kenny Pickett over Penning too... even though I am not positive yet which will be worse....

I am getting used to this team not drafting the right player, and instead drafting the need player... It's a sickness they have called "WeStillThinkWeAreInWinNowModeItius"

Just think about the last 4 drafts, and image the Saints take the BPA instead of a perceived need / RAS guy... This is what we would have instead of what we have now...

Jordan Love - QB
Greg Rousseau - DE
Chris Olave - WR
George Karlaftis - DE
Sam LaPorta - TE

Last edited:
If this is the case, then you can understand why they’re looking to move up, to ensure they get one of Alt/Fashanu/Fuaga/Latham, and not get burned by another known degenerative knee issue at the position. Trading up 2 spots with Denver should need enough, unless they’re dead set on one of them.
I think trading up with DEN is the way,especially since you’re sniping the raiders in that scenario who could use a lineman.

It should cost relatively minor resources to move up 2 spots to secure someone and CSP is always looking to deal.

Of course if Bowers is falling I think you stand pat though.

I think trading up with DEN is the way,especially since you’re sniping the raiders in that scenario who could use a lineman.

It should cost relatively minor resources to move up 2 spots to secure someone and CSP is always looking to deal.

Of course if Bowers is falling I think you stand pat though.
The value difference between the picks is the equivalent of a late 3rd/early 4th. Assuming Denver is getting multiple offers, I’m thinking a future 3rd and one of our 5ths will get it done.

IMO that gets us Fuaga. If we’re dead set on Fashanu/Latham, we’ll need to trade up with Chicago to get ahead of the Jets.

Man I'm reading all these final mock drafts and I'm starting to get real nervous. Lots of them have the Eagles jumping in front of us to grab a tackle. I don't want to trade up but we may have to just to secure our guy. I'd love Fauga but don't know if he'll be around.

Man I'm reading all these final mock drafts and I'm starting to get real nervous. Lots of them have the Eagles jumping in front of us to grab a tackle. I don't want to trade up but we may have to just to secure our guy. I'd love Fauga but don't know if he'll be around.
Thing is…there are starting to be some wild cards going ahead of us that will push down either a tackle or someone like Bowers or Turner.

Penix and even Nix going ahead of us would help a lot. I could see Payton getting nervous and just grabbing Nix before the Rams get a chance.

Getting a CB to go before us would be great.

I feel like we either need to get one of the top 2-3 tackles or, if they’re all gone, happily take one of those top end players who falls because of the tackle run.

Best case scenarios for tonight are 4 QBs go right at the top... 3 WRs go top 10... 1 DT and 1 DE go before our pick.... Someone grabs Nix or Pennix before our pick...

Then 1 of 2 things... A top 2 rated OT falls to us, or we trade up 2-5 spots to get one of the top 2 OTs... OR - A crazy run on OTs happens before we pick, we can't make a trade - and we luck out and get Bowers at 14.

Anything else is a 1st class ticket on the fail boat IMO.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom