Fuaga RAS (1 Viewer)

First off, KUDOS to the OP for this post.

I’m amazed at some of the comments. Here we have (arguably) drafted one of the best O-linemen in the past 25 years.

Some have argued that RAS scores are not that important. Really?!?!?

Think about the following:

* His RAS scores were GREEN across the board… with the exception of his height. For those not familiar with RAS, its testing criteria wasn’t pulled out of someone’s arse. RAS gives tangible evidence of:

<> strength
<> speed
<> agility
<> balance
<> quickness

Again, our draftee pretty much aced RAS

Another big plus: He’s DURABLE!

All the evidence points to him as a blue chipper with a bright future and stellar career ahead of him.

Our scouting & staff deserve mega props!

:gosaints:

Last edited:
…..you mean how you actually play on the field

If how they looked on the field was all that counts, then Penning would be a star. But you can't just look at that. You have to look at everything including film, college production, attitude, work ethic, leadership, and yes, RAS, 40 times, and agility drills.

Ask yourself, if none of the information contained in a RAS score was relevant, why does the NFL have a Combine and keep records of the Combine numbers? And why to NFL teams send scouts and coaches to the Combine and Pro-Days to watch these guys while they do these drills? Why aren't they all just sitting in a dark room looking at film?

Last edited:
If how they looked on the field was all that counts, then Penning would be a star. But you can't just look at that. You have to look at everything including film, college production, attitude, work ethic, leadership, and yes, RAS, 40 times, and agility drills.

As yourself, if none of the information contained in a RAS score was relevant, why does the NFL have a Combine and keep records of the Combine numbers? And why to NFL teams send scouts and coaches to the Combine and Pro-Days to watch these guys while they do these drills? Why aren't they all just sitting in a dark room looking at film?
He played at Northern Iowa

He played at Northern Iowa

That was my point. You can't tell how a guy that played at Northern Iowa would hold up athletically against NFL players by just looking at his film. He dominated everyone he went against at that level. That's why you need some objective measure of athletic ability to compare/confirm what you see on film. But even that isn't enough. You also need to know who he is as a person. And even all that won't guarantee that he is the player you think he is.

Again, if the stuff contained in RAS doesn't matter why does the NFL hold the Combine and why do teams go to the Combine and Pro-Days?

As yourself, if none of the information contained in a RAS score was relevant, why does the NFL have a Combine and keep records of the Combine numbers? And why to NFL teams send scouts and coaches to the Combine and Pro-Days to watch these guys while they do these drills? Why aren't they all just sitting in a dark room looking at film?
A little off-topic, but Penning still has a chance to be very good.
If coaching didn't matter, no one would get fired, much less dozens and dozens getting fired every year.
I think Marone was the biggest problem.
I've never been a fan of his player development.

Ask yourself, if none of the information contained in a RAS score was relevant, why does the NFL have a Combine and keep records of the Combine numbers? And why to NFL teams send scouts and coaches to the Combine and Pro-Days to watch these guys while they do these drills? Why aren't they all just sitting in a dark room looking at film?
Ok let's check the RAS
Oof

Attachments

• RAS.jpg
    RAS.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 13
Ok let's check the RAS
Oof

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. I agree RAS isn't everything. What it shows in the case of Penning is that he has the athletic ability to play in the NFL, something you could not know by watching him play against Norther Iowa competition. So, we know this issue has to be technique, work ethic, or attitude. The film showed that he had technical issues. Issues the Saints apparently thought they could correct quickly, but either the coaching was bad or he wasn't working hard enough to fix those things.

Anyway, the point is RAS gives you an objective measure of athletic talent to see if they fit in NFL athletically. It doesn't tell you everything but it is part of the mix of information needed to properly evaluate players. And, again, if that information wasn't important why do teams send coaches and scouts to the Combine and Pro-Days?

I’m not going to copy the videos, but go look up Joe Alt’s combine performance and then go watch Fuaga’s. The difference in fluidity jumps off the screen.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say. I agree RAS isn't everything. What it shows in the case of Penning is that he has the athletic ability to play in the NFL, something you could not know by watching him play against Norther Iowa competition. So, we know this issue has to be technique, work ethic, or attitude. The film showed that he had technical issues. Issues the Saints apparently thought they could correct quickly, but either the coaching was bad or he wasn't working hard enough to fix those things.

Anyway, the point is RAS gives you an objective measure of athletic talent to see if they fit in NFL athletically. It doesn't tell you everything but it is part of the mix of information needed to properly evaluate players. And, again, if that information wasn't important why do teams send coaches and scouts to the Combine and Pro-Days?
I don't think RAS is useless, just think we fans on forums, social media, etc. value it much more than teams and scouts do.

A little off-topic, but Penning still has a chance to be very good.
If coaching didn't matter, no one would get fired, much less dozens and dozens getting fired every year.
I think Marone was the biggest problem.
I've never been a fan of his player development.

I don't disagree. I do think Penning has a chance to get better and indications are that he is looking better and working hard in the offseason at an OL camp. As far a Maronne, I know some here think he is the worst OL coach ever, but I think he was just average. And I have to say that although he did a bad job with Penning and likely the other young linemen, he was the guy that got Ruiz to have one very good year and one average year when he looked to be a bust before Maronne got here.

Still, I think the guys we have to coach the OL now are elite and will really help Penning and the rest of the line. I also think that sometimes certain coaches don't click with certain players. Maronne seemed to be very tough love and old school. Penning looks like he is kind of a sensitive guy who might not react well to negative feedback. That's speculation, but it may just be that Maronne and Penning aren't good fits with each other. Or Maronne is worse than I think he is and he just got lucky with Ruiz.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom