From James Palmer: Saints tried to get Penix ("It Never Happened") John Hendrix (1 Viewer)

So, in another two years, we need to remember that you can't wait for the quarterback you like to fall to you.

I don’t buy it. From listening to DA’s presser, it sounds like it was going to be Bowers or an offensive tackle. He said so many QBs being selected ahead of our pick made it an easier decision.

Unless the information came from a reliable source inside the Saints organization, this is sheer speculation. Certainly, other teams can say whether the Saints called about moving up. But we know the Saints have many conversations with teams about the price of moving up, and surely the Saints in such a call would not tell the other team the player they are trying to move up for. When the Giants drafted Daniel Jones, there were suddenly stories about other teams wanting to draft Jones.

And as a matter of logic, this doesn't make sense. Picking Penix would have been an admission that the Saints are further away from serious contention than they say and are in the process of a rebuild of some kind.

Incidentally, I like Penix more than McCarthy, who I thought was highly overrated, and Nix. If Penix and McCarthy had switched teams, I don't think Washington has the season it had, it certainly does not beat Texas in the Sugar Bowl, and it gets crushed in the national championship game. The Falcons' investment only seems questionable because of the investment in Cousins.

I really don't buy into these report.
Me either, if Penix does good they can all look back and claim to have tried to get him. Similar to the claim Payton would’ve draft Pat Mahommes, I never believed it.

lol I think we’ve been driving QB paranoia for years. I wouldn’t doubt if Loomis called teams up and said “yeah, we want penix” just to force the reach or bait someone into overpaying for a trade. 6QBs going before us is nuts and I have to think it’s because teams were being fed that unsuspecting teams were considering taking one.

Info came from an agent, which is reliable as Mexican tap water

I’d put money on the Falcons leaking this garbage so it looks like a ‘win’ to their fans who (rightly) aren’t happy with the pick.

I don’t believe for a second we were ever going QB in the 1st. Derek Carr is DA’s QB and given DA is likely fired if we miss the playoffs he’s not going to spend a pick on a player who would be sat on the bench for at least a year. Especially when we have several areas of need.

maxresdefault.jpg

Guys I hate the Falcons as much as you do but they have a young offensive nucleus. They are thinking two years ahead what their offense will look like if Penix works out. They have seen what GB has done with Jordan Love growing into that job sitting behind Rigers. Now Penix can learn behind Cousins while they are still competitive with the vet at QB. If I was a Falcons fan I wouldn’t necessarily be real mad at that pick.
Saints were probably thinking the same thing if he sits behind Carr. The difference is the Saints would have had to spend serious draft capital to move up while Falcons could sit pat.
Ask yourselves this question, if both work out who will be more valuable to their team in 2026, Penix or Fuaga?
It’s a completely illogical pick. Why pay Cousins all that money if you want Penix? He was always going to be there at 8 so what was the point?

Also, they’re tied to Cousins for 2 years whatever happens so Penix will likely be 26 before he’s the full time starter. Has that ever happened before and worked? Of course that’s unless they stink and bench Cousins which would be great to see. They could have just got Odunze or Dallas Turner and likely controlled the division for the next 2 years.

It’s a completely illogical pick. Why pay Cousins all that money if you want Penix? He was always going to be there at 8 so what was the point?

Also, they’re tied to Cousins for 2 years whatever happens so Penix will likely be 26 before he’s the full time starter. Has that ever happened before and worked? Of course that’s unless they stink and bench Cousins which would be great to see. They could have just got Odunze or Dallas Turner and likely controlled the division for the next 2 years.
No player you draft is a sure thing, you say this about Odunze or Dallas Turner as if better prospects haven't busted out. I'd rather take a chance on the QB which means more to the team even if they are just good.

The reality of the situation is you won't be a super bowl contender unless you have a really good rookie QB on a rookie deal, they realize next years QB class will suck and they have a plan.

The crazy thing is, if this was leaked by the Falcons to justify the pick - it hurts them as it might subconsciously make Penix not view the saints as the hated Falcons rival. He might think “those dudes tried to trade up to get me! They can’t be that bad!”

😛😆😆

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom