Education / Teaching thread (1 Viewer)

In the old system, the summer is 8 weeks long.

In the new system, it's 6 weeks long.

You can still get a temp summer job for 6 weeks.

The teacher's regular rate of pay on the other two intersession weeks should still beat the tourist season server rate for the 2 weeks lost.
Yep, I've long been of the view that teachers get paid a pittance for the long hours they put in and the sheet they have to deal with in the classroom and with parents who often think they know better.

I absolutely don't have the temperament for it. I think part of the problem is the unions have long been demonized (some justifiable, but a lot isn't) and too many people think a teacher loving what they do is enough, and while it help, it really isn't. And people think, well, it's not year round and whatever. But a 6 week summer break is a while, a lot of people get 2-4 weeks per year in vacation pay or sick leave. So that gap really isn't all that large.

Teachers salaries could double and it still wouldn't exactly be a great paying job. Their current pay is just absurdly low and you can't do it without some other source of income unless you're in higher education and tenured.

In the old system, the summer is 8 weeks long.

In the new system, it's 6 weeks long.

You can still get a temp summer job for 6 weeks.

The teacher's regular rate of pay on the other two intersession weeks should still beat the tourist season server rate for the 2 weeks lost.
Intersession jobs in my parish paid between $30 and $35 an hour. However it was usually limited to between 25-30 hours of work a week. As a server in a non-touristy Shreveport, I averaged $40-$50 an hour and could work up to 60 hours a week if I wanted.

The money is not even close, but I am a fan of the shorter summers and "leveled calendar" or year round or whatever you wanna call it.

Teachers are the most underpaid profession in America by a big margin. We should be starting teachers at a professional rate, $80K or more. They shouldn't have to wait tables and tend bar to supplement their income.

Would that it could do some good

I'm not familiar with the situation, but if I had to guess, they want to take over a large ISD so that they can get in on a large amount of money and have total control of what is taught in the state. Is that about right?

I'm not familiar with the situation, but if I had to guess, they want to take over a large ISD so that they can get in on a large amount of money and have total control of what is taught in the state. Is that about right?
That’s how I read it
All state appointees circumventing the elected board

I've got mixed feelings on this. It's great they're "making a dent" in the teacher shortage, but I wonder how truly effective / long-lasting these people will be. Yes, they're doubling the pay of these people who were custodians or bus drivers, but they're still not addressing the overall low pay and conditions that are causing the teacher shortage in the first place. The state just keeps allowing these types of alternate certification programs as a way to hold off a growing problem in education without having to actually address the true issues.

Though not directly involved or in the know, I live close enough to Houston to see the updates on the news... Apparently, Houston ISD has been mismanaged and underperforming for a number of years with no/little noticeable improvement and so Momma has counted to three and told HISD to go get the belt.

My wife is an elementary teacher (Teacher of the Year!) in the greater Houston area... She's told me the threat of state takeover applies to all districts.. If you perpetually underperform/mismanage, there will be consequences.

Though not directly involved or in the know, I live close enough to Houston to see the updates on the news... Apparently, Houston ISD has been mismanaged and underperforming for a number of years with no/little noticeable improvement and so Momma has counted to three and told HISD to go get the belt.

My wife is an elementary teacher (Teacher of the Year!) in the greater Houston area... She's told me the threat of state takeover applies to all districts.. If you perpetually underperform/mismanage, there will be consequences.
Yes we know the playbook- underfund education, then punish schools for underperforming
Which is what ushered in the corporate takeover of NO schools (Katrina helped) which has been in control for 15+ showing the same or worse results as public schools preKatrina
Why?
Because, like crime and bad health, poor education is an expression of poverty not individual, personal shortcomings

Yes we know the playbook- underfund education, then punish schools for underperforming
Which is what ushered in the corporate takeover of NO schools (Katrina helped) which has been in control for 15+ showing the same or worse results as public schools preKatrina
Why?
Because, like crime and bad health, poor education is an expression of poverty not individual, personal shortcomings
Logged in just to high-five you. The Houston thing is just more game-playing with other people's children. :(

I've got mixed feelings on this. It's great they're "making a dent" in the teacher shortage, but I wonder how truly effective / long-lasting these people will be. Yes, they're doubling the pay of these people who were custodians or bus drivers, but they're still not addressing the overall low pay and conditions that are causing the teacher shortage in the first place. The state just keeps allowing these types of alternate certification programs as a way to hold off a growing problem in education without having to actually address the true issues.
I know one really great success story from this kind of program.

Our current assistant superintendent was first a teacher’s assistant for a long time. Got her degree, became a teacher. Got her master’s became an assistant principal. Got her doctorate, became a principal, and then an assistant superintendent. All in the same district. Last year she was the state administrator of the year.

But I would definitely say she’s the exception, not the rule.

I know one really great success story from this kind of program.

Our current assistant superintendent was first a teacher’s assistant for a long time. Got her degree, became a teacher. Got her master’s became an assistant principal. Got her doctorate, became a principal, and then an assistant superintendent. All in the same district. Last year she was the state administrator of the year.

But I would definitely say she’s the exception, not the rule.
Oh yeah, it's certainly possible to get a diamond in the rough like this out of these programs, but how many people go through these programs in order to get that diamond? I'd imagine quite a few.

Logged in just to high-five you. The Houston thing is just more game-playing with other people's children. :(
While the politicians who pass laws sapping local school districts of funds and resources send their children to private schools or live in rich, well-funded districts. Politicians should only be allowed to vote and effect systems in which they and their families directly participate.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom