Education / Teaching thread (2 Viewers)

Teachers in The People's Republic of Indianastan are dealing with this group now.

1000000665.png
Or maybe, just maybe, that teacher wants to encourage kids to put down their phone and pick up a book. Why must people insist on being so stupid?

Teachers in The People's Republic of Indianastan are dealing with this group now.

1000000665.png
I am sad to note that as I get older, my kneejerk reaction to violence increases- anytime I read/hear stories like this
It makes me want to show up to one of these gatherings with a 2 wood and do as much physical as possible to their lower extremities
The future must be protected from the mythological past

Buckle up, because Landry is going to be bad news for the entire profession and not just in regards to money.
I've got less than 10 years total (including DROP) before I can get out. I'm to the point in my career where I'm going to do what I want for the most part as far as teaching in my classroom goes, but I dread seeing all of the crap that's coming in the next few years. I'm fairly certain the goal is to crater the school system as completely as possible and then make it for-profit as completely as possible.

I've got less than 10 years total (including DROP) before I can get out. I'm to the point in my career where I'm going to do what I want for the most part as far as teaching in my classroom goes, but I dread seeing all of the crap that's coming in the next few years. I'm fairly certain the goal is to crater the school system as completely as possible and then make it for-profit as completely as possible.
They're doing it in my hometown and have already done it in Gary, Indiana. If I remember correctly, Gary has one public school remaining.

Recently, my hometown abandoned my old middle/highschool. They said that they couldn't justify the expense.

They built a new, central school which replaced three high schools and several middle schools in a really unpleasant part of the city. The solution was to bus the kids in. Then they announced that they don't have the money to operate busses. Now we have kids who are expected to walk 4+ miles to, and from school every day (in a Northern climate). Now they're cutting teachers, teacher's pay, and taking money out of the teacher's healthcare fund during contract negotiations. They're three months past the state deadline to finish. They have been through mediation twice, and the teachers filed, and we're awarded an unfair labor practice against the city for backing out of tentative agreements. The goal is to break the union and eliminate public schools so that they can teach kids about magic sky fairies, sugar candy mountain etc. rather than STEM, civics, how to accomplish basic things like doing taxes and navigating being an adult.

Not that I needed more proof they're trying to run education into the ground and take it private, but this just angers me. Not only did they say you're not getting a permanent raise, but that temporary stipend we gave you last year? Yeah, we're reducing it.

This guy hates educators even beyond the usual conservative talking points. He is going to make our lives hell for as long as he is governor. The only thing that *might* create a firewall is if the local hick reps and senators start to get push back locally as boards of education tend to be big central employers, especially in rural districts. But we're a long way off from that happening, if ever.

I'm effectively dead inside anyway. I'm prepared for the worst.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom