Cousins stunned Falcons took Penix (4 Viewers)

How does this make any sense if you're a Falcon's fan? I mean you just paid a boat load of money to a guy
who may be sitting on the bench in a season or sooner if Penix is the real deal or you just wasted a pick on
a QB project who happens to be injury prone. There was a lot of talent they left on the table.

This is legit a pick that I'm worried about long term. I know folks don't like what I said earlier but tape don't lie. Dude is probably the top 2 best QB in this draft (when you take away "highlight" plays and just look at the position) who was already better than the others at the actual aspect of playing to position, who gets to grow and develop. People are talking about this one but this is a long-term move on their part.

Penix is no where near ready to start right now so I highly doubt that.
Compared to who?
Williams, Maye, McCarthy, Nix?

He is probably more closer to starter status than most others in the draft. He just didn't get the 2023 pre-season fanfare like the others.

Picking a QB instead of a playmaker at no. 8 after throwing out a huge FA contract is a curveball. But Cousins shouldn’t be surprised at a 1st round QB. He’s 36 years old recovering from an Achilles injury and most of his 90M guaranteed money is paid in the 1st two years. His deal is designed for the Falcons to have a short term playoff run with him while they get his last best years. He probably won’t be playing at a high level anymore at 38 years old in 2026. They had to prepare accordingly while they had the opportunity with the QB that they wanted.

Penix wouldn’t have made it past the Vikings 2nd 1st rounder at #23. It’s possible that the Vikings wanted him over JJ at 11th. Broncos, Seahawks, and Rams picks were in between too. He never would’ve made it to the 2nd round.

Compared to who?
Williams, Maye, McCarthy, Nix?

He is probably more closer to starter status than most others in the draft. He just didn't get the 2023 fanfare like the others.
I’d take him over them for sure. I was never a fan of McCarthy, Maye needs more experience, Williams has more raw ability in his game but I’m not sure his head is screwed on correctly, IDK what to think about Nix.

Penix isn’t ready to start right now and it doesn’t matter, barring injury he’ll be sidelined for at minimal 2 years

I guess you can say thinking about the future as you did earlier, but it makes no sense. You don’t pay that much for a QB and not think about winning now. It’s a pick that literally doesn’t make sense based off the moves they made prior.

Picking a QB at no. 9 after throwing out a big FA contract is a curveball. But Cousins shouldn’t be surprised at a 1st round QB. He’s 36 years old recovering from an Achilles injury and most of his 90M guaranteed money is paid in the 1st two years. His deal is designed for the Falcons to have a short term playoff run with him while they get his last best years. He probably won’t be playing at a high level anymore at 38 years old in 2026. They had to prepare accordingly while they had the opportunity with the QB that they wanted.

Penix wouldn’t have made it past the Vikings 2nd 1st rounder at #23. It’s possible that the Vikings wanted him over JJ at 11th. Broncos, Seahawks, and Rams picks were in between too.
Right. Barring injury Cousins is the starter for at least 2 years. I would love the pick if they didn’t pay Cousins to make them a playoff team now. They did that, and then didn’t add pieces that can help anytime soon, at least not in the first round they didn’t.

Very Falconish

I’d take him over them for sure. I was never a fan of McCarthy, Maye needs more experience, Williams has more raw ability in his game but I’m not sure his head is screwed on correctly, IDK what to think about Nix.

Penix isn’t ready to start right now and it doesn’t matter, barring injury he’ll be sidelined for at minimal 2 years

I guess you can say thinking about the future as you did earlier, but it makes no sense. You don’t pay that much for a QB and not think about winning now. It’s a pick that literally doesn’t make sense based off the moves they made prior.
They can still win now. I mentioned earlier that they lost 4 games last season by 3 points or less with the defense giving up game winning drives with less than a minute to go. They are better than we think. This benefits Penix and the Falcons in the long term because he can come in and learn the nuances of the game without being thrown to the fire.

Cousins is the top trending player on Spotrac (the pro sports contract website) - Ha.

But he's basically un-cuttable for the next three seasons. What's even more interesting is that his year 3 cap hit is $57.5M and his dead cap is $25M.

This sets up a scenario where if Penix is ready to go by year 3, either by injury to Cousins or just being the better choice, the Falcons would have a choice between carrying Cousins at $57.5M or releasing him and eating the $25M dead cap.

Or a trade but most of the money is salary so it doesn't really set up for a trade where the receiving team gets the benefit of big bonuses already paid on that contract value . . . so they would have to want an almost 39 year old Kirk Cousins at $35M.

They have set off on a strange, risky path here.

I think Cousins' contract should be viewed as a 2yr - 100M deal. Eating 25M for a QB contract is being normalized. It will hurt less when the cap is 300M in 2026. It's basically 50M signing with 12.5M salary in 2024 and 27.5M salary for 2025.

"Kirk Cousins signed a four year, $180 million contract with the Falcons on March 11, 2024. Cousins received $100 million in guarantees. His 2024 and 2025 salaries are fully guaranteed and he received a $50 million signing bonus. There are $10 million roster bonuses due on the 5th day of the 2026 and 2027 league years."

The killer for the Falcons will be drafting a 23yo QB and Cousins plays 3-4 years at a level that makes it hard to walk away. There was so much talent at 8 that could help them win now.

They attempted to prepare for the future this evening. Will it work out, I have no idea…. What I do know is he is talented, and now has two-ish years to get right/healthy. They had an early pick and took a swing. Most people here complained that the saints FO didn’t prepare for life after Brees. ATL is preparing for life after Cousins, and that life hasn’t even started.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom