Appalachian Trail Thru Hike (1 Viewer)

whiteshadowen

Millsaps TC forever
Reaction score
I am planning on doing a Flip-Flop Thru hike on the Appalachian Trail in 2024. Wondering if any of you guys have ever done a thru hike on it before. I will be starting in Harpers Ferry in late April, hiking north to Katahdin Mountain in Maine. Then flying back to Harpers Ferry (via Washington DC) and hiking south to Springer Mountain in Georgia. Roughly 2200 miles. Expect it to take me 5-6 months. A little anxious of course, but very excited. I am 67 years old, I have rheumatoid arthritis but under control, and in pretty fit condition. I run every day. Plan on starting regimented hiking in October as prep for it. I have all my gear and plan on traveling lite. Pack should be about 20-22 lbs including food and water.

I've done pieces of the trail.....pretty much all through VA through MD and PA, which is supposed to be the easier stretch (it didn't feel easy).....PA in particular I found a bit bizarre, for a good stretch you are in the mountains but it's more like you are heading to Mordor, it's very stark countryside bordering on ugly....where as the VA stretch is mostly like the Shire.....

A good friend did the whole thing a few summers ago and said the toughest stretch was from the beginning until southern VA.....Good luck, a very cool adventure to do at any age....but 67? Impressive....kudos....

Awesome. Are you experienced with backpacking?

What gear have you chosen? Tent? Sleeping pad? Bag?

Boots or trail runners?

Awesome. Are you experienced with backpacking?

What gear have you chosen? Tent? Sleeping pad? Bag?

Boots or trail runners?
Not really experience hiker. Longterm runner so I do have base fitness to work with. A few camping trips, weekends, years ago. Have pretty much all my gear together. Expect base weight to come in around 13-14 with overall around 19-20 once I add in food/water. Big three is Durstan X-Mid 1 tent, Osprey Exos Pro 55 backpack, Enlightened Equipment Enigma Quilt and Thermorest NeoAir XTherm Pad. Going with Brooks Cascadia Trailrunners. I have been running in Brooks Ghosts for 15 years with no problems. Cascadia's are 8 mm drop vs Ghost 10 mm drop, so close to what my feet are already accustomed to mileage in. Really the only equipment decision I am not completely solid on yet is bear cannister or hanging a bear bag. Will probalby go with bag because 2 more pounds for a cannister is hard decision to make.

Not really experience hiker. Longterm runner so I do have base fitness to work with. A few camping trips, weekends, years ago. Have pretty much all my gear together. Expect base weight to come in around 13-14 with overall around 19-20 once I add in food/water. Big three is Durstan X-Mid 1 tent, Osprey Exos Pro 55 backpack, Enlightened Equipment Enigma Quilt and Thermorest NeoAir XTherm Pad. Going with Brooks Cascadia Trailrunners. I have been running in Brooks Ghosts for 15 years with no problems. Cascadia's are 8 mm drop vs Ghost 10 mm drop, so close to what my feet are already accustomed to mileage in. Really the only equipment decision I am not completely solid on yet is bear cannister or hanging a bear bag. Will probalby go with bag because 2 more pounds for a cannister is hard decision to make.
It definitely looks like you've done the appropriate research. I have an xmid1 myself which I've used on my last trip in Montana. There's a bit of a learning curve when compared with a freestanding tent, but it seems to be clever and well made. I used a piece of tyvek as a footprint but I think I'll invest in the official one for my next trip. Swap the stock stakes for msr groundhogs. You can do 4 full sized groundhogs for the corners and mini groundhogs for the rest. The stock ones are not reliable.

I got a ugq quilt a couple years ago, which is similar to yours. I'll never use a bag again. I do make sure I either sleep in a base layer or cover my pad with a silk sheet or something just so I don't have skin on plastic. But quilts are the way in my experience. I still can't quite find the ultimate pillow. Let me know if you do. :) I like a wide squared pad as I'm a side sleeper and tend to move around a lot. But your pad is very good. I actually own one as well.

The canister is a real dilemma. On my last trip I carried a canister and it's definitely useful and gives a sense of security. But damn it's heavy. I think for next summer I will try a bag instead. The draw back is that if an animal does get to it, it can crush your goods. That doesn't bother me much in theory. The canister I have is cool though. The lid doubles as a cooking pan. https://www.lighter1.com/

Glad youve got the footwear sorted. I'm a zero drop guy so I wear altra. I still can't decide if I like water resistant or quick drying non resistant.

Keep us updated if you don't mind. I'd love to hear more about your gear and adventure.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom