Sig or Glock (1 Viewer)

Bayouboy

Football Genius
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
If you had to choose between the two, what are you going with & what model? Home defense/general safety that won't be used for concealed carry.

If you had to choose between the two, what are you going with & what model? Home defense/general safety that won't be used for concealed carry.
The biggest question is what caliber do you like? I will assume 9mm, because that the "me-too" caliber of the day. 9mm hollow-points will not over-penetrate, so I will propose a 9mm in an auto loader.

Sig - 320 is a great rig, the older 220 is nice, but it is huge. Many people have an issue with it in their hands. I have a 365 that I am in love with (especially after adding a Wilson Combat handle). I am a 1911 guy - that is what I learned with. Sig makes some awesome 1911's. They come in 9mm, 45, 10mm. Of the 2 brands you listed, I would steer you toward the 320.
Glock - Utilitarian. Poor grip angle. Poor trigger. Goes bang on a regular basis. It is ok, but there are better, for less money. Glock 19 is sized nice. The Model 20 and 21 (10mm and .45 respectively) are a little bigger, and medium and small hand people may have some issues.

I will add Barretta 92F. Good capacity. Popular. nice balance. 9mm
On the budget side, Girsan makes an excellent clone of the Browning Hi-Power in 9mm.

If you are not a firearm-person, and do not do a lot of range-time, I recommend a .357 - Smith and Wesson is my preferred brand. You can shoot .38's or +P .38's if you do not like the full-load .357. Wheel-guns (revolvers) have less to go wrong than a semi auto. The old saying is "they just go bang". A Smith and Wesson 686 plus (7 shot) is a wonderful shooting tool. No magazine issues or feeding problems with a revolver. Especially if you may have it set for a long time in the dresser drawer.

Thank you for the response. I own several firearms, but they are mostly rifles and shotguns. The only pistol I own is my dad's hand me down .22. It has a hard time stopping an armadillo.

I will likely get a 9mm. I should've clarified that in my post. Basically because its common and I "assume" we will be able to get ammunition for it in the foreseeable future. The Sig 320 was also recommended by a friend at work. Sounds like a solid gun.

Are there any local shooting ranges that allow you to rent a gun? That is the best way to see what you like, and what fits you. Then practice. I cannot emphasize that enough. Buying the thing is only 20% of the game.

If you want something that looks ugly, but still goes boom no matter what, Glock is the way to go. Sigs are a little more picky. I love Sigs though. But for a duty weapon you really can't beat Glock in my opinion.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom