Anyone own a smartwatch? (2 Viewers)

I think Top Gear showed off the only real watch you need.

Breitling Emergency

It's great as long as the people coming to rescue you are not named Jezza or Capt. Slow.

that watch is freaking awesome if you set off the emergency feature for any reason (which is very hard to be done accidentally). you have the pleasure of sending it back to breitling after so that they can reset it. it really is a fantastic watch though. the "cool" one uses their superquartz, which is one of the most accurate movements of all time. downfall is that the battery life is about 3 years and its one of the few models that breitling absolutely requires a breitling ad to replace.

after dealing with the breitling service centers, they are definitely one of the better though.

I have a Samsung Gear S, have had it for a couple of months now. I don't get to use it to its full potential since I don't own a Samsung phone, but I only really got it for its cellular capabilities and the health tracker. I have my cellphone forward calls to the watch, and this is sufficient. I don't like texting with it.

Unfortunately, its abilities as a health tracker are somewhat marginal, and using the app to monitor activity such as walking really drains the battery. Checking my pulse is completely hit or miss...I can get 230bpm when sitting or 60bpm when exercising. It seems the reading gets more accurate as there is more sweat between it and your wrist.

Plus, every single activity must be activated manually (as far as I'm able to do). For instance, I don't see how to set the pulse tracker to take a pulse reading every X minutes - unless this is configurable only using a Samsung phone. So what good is it?

Using the watch as a cellphone is iffy, too - as too much time will cause the thing to overheat and go into Airplane mode. While you're in a conversation. Say about 1.5 hours of continuous talking. Be sure to take the watch off during a long conversation to help it stay cooler.

Also, even though the watch has access to 4G and Wifi, it will not get updated weather information unless it has access to the sky (for GPS) or is currently paired with a ******* Samsung Phone. I can't even see my phone logs without having a damn Samsung Phone, because it insists on Syncing every time I try to look.

I love the Samsung Gear Circle that pairs with it - when you get a call, just unhook the earbuds and the call is answered...snap them back together (magnets), and it hangs up. However, when using the Gear Circle with the Gear S, there is a noticeable and annoying delay of at least a second. Using the Gear S paired to my car, there is no such delay so I have to assume it's the Gear Circle's fault.

Also, when I have my arms folded (for instance), I'm finding the Gear S starts randomly activating screens. Try sitting in a meeting, only to have your watch start blasting Daft Punk for no good reason, or starts calling someone out of the blue. Arm dialing is the new butt dialing.

I'd say that eventually having your basic cellular phone attached to your wrist or wherever is the way to go, but it's not really mature enough yet. Also, such a device really doesn't need so many features....But for God's sake, if you have a watch that *is* a cellphone, don't make its basic features dependent upon the existence of some other cellphone of a specific brand. Eventually, I'll just pick up a cheap used Samsung phone just to get the thing better configured. But whatever.

bumping this really old topic because google is about to launch one themselves. They also bought fitbit a couple years ago, which is why it mentions that integrated into the pixel watch

I'm subscribed with Google to be alerted when it goes on sale. I've been wanting a Fitbit and a smart watch so I've been waiting. If it's as good as the pixel 6 pro, I'll be disappointed.

I ordered it because I wanted a Fitbit anyway but I'm expecting to be disappointed. I'm especially concerned about battery life

Seems like companies kind of plateaued in development/progress. The newest samsung galaxy watches have minor tweaks/upgrades over the previous ones. Same goes for the new apple watches.

I'll probably get one next year as I recently got a new Fitbit with a full year of premium.

I ordered it because I wanted a Fitbit anyway but I'm expecting to be disappointed. I'm especially concerned about battery life
Battery life is supposed to be trash. Marques Brownlee gave a pretty level review of it. There are certainly things to like, but battery life kills any hope of the device actually being useful. I do appreciate that you bought one to push the next generation forward, though.

A recent article that goes over a few things to look for
Wirecutter does a nice job of reviewing them as well.

Battery life is supposed to be trash. Marques Brownlee gave a pretty level review of it. There are certainly things to like, but battery life kills any hope of the device actually being useful. I do appreciate that you bought one to push the next generation forward, though.

Wirecutter does a nice job of reviewing them as well.

I just finished my day wearing it for sixteen hours and it has 65% battery life remaining, but I don't play with it all day. I just wear it.

I like that it vibrates when I get a call or text. It's loud at work and I can't feel the phone through my work clothes. The Fitbit part is ok.

My dislikes are that I had to turn off the emergency phone call feature because it kept trying to call 911, after that I had to turn off NFC because every time that I looked at the watch it was displaying a credit card and telling me to tap the payment device.

With those features off it's an expensive, attractive Fitbit that tells time and controls my music app.

I'd much rather have Google glasses with a head's up display combined with earbuds though I wouldn't be able to wear those at work.

I just finished my day wearing it for sixteen hours and it has 65% battery life remaining, but I don't play with it all day. I just wear it.

I like that it vibrates when I get a call or text. It's loud at work and I can't feel the phone through my work clothes. The Fitbit part is ok.

My dislikes are that I had to turn off the emergency phone call feature because it kept trying to call 911, after that I had to turn off NFC because every time that I looked at the watch it was displaying a credit card and telling me to tap the payment device.

With those features off it's an expensive, attractive Fitbit that tells time and controls my music app.

I'd much rather have Google glasses with a head's up display combined with earbuds though I wouldn't be able to wear those at work.
Great feedback.

Pixel Watches are now $299 and $399 through November 28 at the various retailers. Still not sure if it's worth it with the battery stories.

Pixel Watches are now $299 and $399 through November 28 at the various retailers. Still not sure if it's worth it with the battery stories.
I'm about 43 hours on this charge with 29% battery remaining. It has an adaptive battery that gets better over time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom