Anyone own a smartwatch? (1 Viewer)

Yeah... I like that it looks like a traditional watch with smart tech features.

You had me until I saw this:

According to a new report, the freshly announced Huawei Watch will carry a massive price tag. The Android Wear device will allegedly cost $1,000 when available.

OUT!

I think Top Gear showed off the only real watch you need.

Breitling Emergency

It's great as long as the people coming to rescue you are not named Jezza or Capt. Slow.

For the life of me I don't understand why any adult would want the Apple watch. It looks like a toy.

For the life of me I don't understand why any adult would want the Apple watch. It looks like a toy.

For the life of me, I don't understand why any adult would want to make a blanket statement on a product that hasn't been released yet....

:p

IMO the purchase for an Apple Watch should be based on use case and battery life. Right now I see potentially good use cases such as health monitoring, but the battery life is going to be lacking if the reports are true.

Pricing announced. Sport is $349 for the small one.. $399 for the larger one.. It goes up from there..

More info..

the non-sport Apple watch starts at $599.. got up past $1000...

There is some special edition one for $10,000..

umm, yea, I'll pass..

Apple wanted to incorporate far more medical tech in this thing that frankly would have been impossible/inaccurate without drawing blood. This will be a far overpriced and very quickly obsolete $600-$1000 purchase.

The only person I know of that has said they're getting one is Buzd. He shouldn't count though since he sprinkles diamonds in his food because it makes his doo-doo twinkle.

For the life of me, I don't understand why any adult would want to make a blanket statement on a product that hasn't been released yet.
So it's not going to look like the pictures Apple has released? Functionality is certainly a big part of owning a smart watch, but looks is as equal. It needs both looks and functionality or it's not worth the extra expense of what amounts to a smart phone.

Up is down, right is left, Apple is the old Microsoft, and the New Microsoft actually kinda kicks arse.

The loss of the Steve Jobs Reality Distortion Field can truly be felt these days..

So it's not going to look like the pictures Apple has released? Functionality is certainly a big part of owning a smart watch, but looks is as equal. It needs both looks and functionality or it's not worth the extra expense of what amounts to a smart phone.

Agreed. And if the rumors are true that Google is looking to find a way to integrate Wear with Apple devices it will definitely cuz trouble for Apple...

However, they will always be those who would gladly pay $1,000 for an Apple watch just because it's Apple.

a good article on the unwitting collaboration between competitors:

As much as patent and trade-dress lawsuits would like to stop it, getting to today's idea of a modern, mature smartphone was a collaborative effort. Apple laid the foundation with the first iPhone, which popularized the idea of a finger-driven all-screen device with an on-screen keyboard and later added an app store. Google later came up with now-standard functionality like a pull-down notification panel, voice input, and a heavy cloud component. Even Samsung helped out by giving the world the phablet and leading the charge toward larger screen sizes—today even Apple makes a 5.5-inch phone.

Smartwatches will be a collaborative effort, too. Every new product advances the conversation of what these tiny wrist computers should be, and yesterday Apple gave a long, impassioned speech on the matter.
http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015...smartwatch-an-app-centric-approach-and-wi-fi/

Got moto 360 and the style is amazing. Plus it is amazingly useful. For example when I get off work can say navigate home and will open up GPS on watch and my phone. Buzzing me for each turn. Take pictures with the watch so I can set the phone up somewhere and use the watch as a lens of sorts. Loving it so far.

I customer of mine had the 360 on the other day. It's a really nice looking device. He works in fine dining and can deal with customers and vendors without anyone really noticing that it isn't just a really nice watch. I'm impressed.

Got moto 360 and the style is amazing. Plus it is amazingly useful. For example when I get off work can say navigate home and will open up GPS on watch and my phone. Buzzing me for each turn. Take pictures with the watch so I can set the phone up somewhere and use the watch as a lens of sorts. Loving it so far.

If I was an Android fan, the moto 360 would be my choice of smartwatch. my friend and neighbor owns one and I really like it. It's a tad on the big side for my taste but that round screen really is nice.

Here is a list of 10 things I've done with my Apple Watch since Friday:

1) Spent hours navigating the Apple Watch app on my phone to select the apps I wanted on the watch and what notifications I would recieve on my wrist. (did not want to be inundated with taps and dings and I've done a great job with selection. This is where I've come to realize this watch, is not for everyone the way an iphone is. It's more complex, like going from a side scrolling platform game to a deep role playing game.)

2) customized each watch face to show the complications I like. Swapping faces on a whim depending on mood or utility is cinch.

3) took a group selfie with the kids using the watch as remote (simple and cool).

4) Dictated various things to Siri. (The best feature so far, Siri has never worked better.)

5) Asked siri for directions to my kids friends house and allowed my watch to feed me the directions. Worked well, but I prefer having the phone mounted or using a dedicated gps with overview.

6) Payed for McDonald's with Apple Pay. (Brilliant and simple. I didn't have Apple Pay before because I have an iPhone 5 and this was one of my most anticipated features.)

7) Timed the halves for my daugther's soccer game using the watch complications. (This worked way better than locking and unlocking my phone to check times and make substitutions, of course, this would've worked just as well if I had a simple Casio but at least a simple watch function works as expected and improved upon what I was doing before.)

8) Tracked my fitness activity throughout the day. I'm 3 days in using the Activity app with it's move ring, exercise ring and stand ring. I've never had a fitness tracker so this is great.

9) Went on an outdoor run and I brought my phone along to allow the watch to learn my gait (establish a baseline so I can leave the phone behind later). I paired my bluetooth to my phone as usual to listen to music/podcasts. My watch kept my pace, heart rate and allowed me to control my phones music.

10) Indoor workout on eliptical. I left the phone in the locker today, paired the BT earbuds to my watch and played my favorites off my watch. This worked flawlessly compared to running with my phone which would lose contact or skip a bit on my BT earbuds.

I've done much more than this but these were just some highlights. Again this watch is not something I would recommend to my parents as I have the iPhone. It's much deeper and more customizable than any Apple product I remember and there is quite a bit of a learning curve so you have to spend time to learn it.

If I was an Android fan, the moto 360 would be my choice of smartwatch. my friend and neighbor owns one and I really like it. It's a tad on the big side for my taste but that round screen really is nice.

Here is a list of 10 things I've done with my Apple Watch since Friday:

1) Spent hours navigating the Apple Watch app on my phone to select the apps I wanted on the watch and what notifications I would recieve on my wrist. (did not want to be inundated with taps and dings and I've done a great job with selection. This is where I've come to realize this watch, is not for everyone the way an iphone is. It's more complex, like going from a side scrolling platform game to a deep role playing game.)

2) customized each watch face to show the complications I like. Swapping faces on a whim depending on mood or utility is cinch.

3) took a group selfie with the kids using the watch as remote (simple and cool).

4) Dictated various things to Siri. (The best feature so far, Siri has never worked better.)

5) Asked siri for directions to my kids friends house and allowed my watch to feed me the directions. Worked well, but I prefer having the phone mounted or using a dedicated gps with overview.

6) Payed for McDonald's with Apple Pay. (Brilliant and simple. I didn't have Apple Pay before because I have an iPhone 5 and this was one of my most anticipated features.)

7) Timed the halves for my daugther's soccer game using the watch complications. (This worked way better than locking and unlocking my phone to check times and make substitutions, of course, this would've worked just as well if I had a simple Casio but at least a simple watch function works as expected and improved upon what I was doing before.)

8) Tracked my fitness activity throughout the day. I'm 3 days in using the Activity app with it's move ring, exercise ring and stand ring. I've never had a fitness tracker so this is great.

9) Went on an outdoor run and I brought my phone along to allow the watch to learn my gait (establish a baseline so I can leave the phone behind later). I paired my bluetooth to my phone as usual to listen to music/podcasts. My watch kept my pace, heart rate and allowed me to control my phones music.

10) Indoor workout on eliptical. I left the phone in the locker today, paired the BT earbuds to my watch and played my favorites off my watch. This worked flawlessly compared to running with my phone which would lose contact or skip a bit on my BT earbuds.

I've done much more than this but these were just some highlights. Again this watch is not something I would recommend to my parents as I have the iPhone. It's much deeper and more customizable than any Apple product I remember and there is quite a bit of a learning curve so you have to spend time to learn it.

Just like an Apple user... Gotta write an essay. :hihi:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom