All around rifle (1 Viewer)

Regardless of if you could completely silence the round (you can't) the action is violently loud on most semi-autos is what was most surprising to me shooting various suppressed firearms.

Finally giving things away to my son. I gave him my dad’s custom made 300 Weatherby that was built back when Roy Weatherby was still a wildcatter and you had to form 300 H&H brass to make brass for it. Also gave him my dad’s 30-06 which was again custom built as my dad was an absolute stickler for accuracy. If anyone knows what the action for it is made from, I’ll throw in a donation to SR. Probably built somewhere in the early to mid 60s. Unfortunately dad is no longer here to ask

Attachments

• 6F77A4D2-D1C3-4208-991C-DD91B7FBD315.jpeg
    6F77A4D2-D1C3-4208-991C-DD91B7FBD315.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 8
  • 7A1E04C7-65CA-41CA-A0CA-97811D8D160F.jpeg
    7A1E04C7-65CA-41CA-A0CA-97811D8D160F.jpeg
    775.8 KB · Views: 7
This however is still safely stored in my father in laws massive gun safe with most of my other toys. Serial number is 619 on it. Not ready to give that to him yet

Attachments

• D52D4CDE-0D4D-4094-ACF4-AB729A0A9A75.jpeg
    D52D4CDE-0D4D-4094-ACF4-AB729A0A9A75.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
Finally giving things away to my son. I gave him my dad’s custom made 300 Weatherby that was built back when Roy Weatherby was still a wildcatter and you had to form 300 H&H brass to make brass for it. Also gave him my dad’s 30-06 which was again custom built as my dad was an absolute stickler for accuracy. If anyone knows what the action for it is made from, I’ll throw in a donation to SR. Probably built somewhere in the early to mid 60s. Unfortunately dad is no longer here to ask

Mauser action.

I like a .270. I have a Browning X-Bolt in .270 and it works great for me. Let me also clarify, I do not do any big game hunting, mostly white tail and wild pigs. A friend of mine in Nebraska uses a 6.8 Western and he swears by it. He's definitely the big game hunter of our group.

Nice. I love the round but I feel it’s a waste of money unless you suppress it. What state are you in?
Yeah, in Texas. I don't know if I want to fork over the money for a suppressor and the tax.
I read the AR Pistol in 300BLK with subsonic is good for home defense as it is a little quieter even without a suppressor.
Bringing it to the range this weekend to fire it for the first time.

Yeah, in Texas. I don't know if I want to fork over the money for a suppressor and the tax.
I read the AR Pistol in 300BLK with subsonic is good for home defense as it is a little quieter even without a suppressor.
It’s a larger round than the .223. If you’re using it for home defense think of penetration in regard to walls. Do you have children? Where would you potentially be aiming? If you have kids is it in their direction? Do they know what to do if someone breaks in? Personally I use a Mossberg 590 in my home.

Shotgun with bird shot. Don’t have to be all that accurate, generally a substantial wound and won’t go through walls all that well so you won’t kill your neighbors

I use defensive ammo in my shotgun, Federal LE Tactical. To be honest I use Federal for all my defensive rounds. It is what my local law enforcement uses. If it’s good enough for them…. It’s just me and the wife and I know where she is. For me personally there is no reason to leave my bedroom if someone breaks in. I have guns and a phone. I am not John Wick lol and no reason for me to leave a perfectly good defensive situation. When my kids were living at home we had a different plan.

I have had people tell me 30.06 and .308 would tear up too much meat on Whitetail, but .243 is not great for anything bigger than whitetail. Then I hear that barrel life for .270 and 6.5C is not that much different. I also hear that 6.5 has less shoulder impact so can be fired more at the range.
You want versatile, look no further than the 7mm-08.

Well, you are buying a tool. So what are you doing with that tool? Do you plan on reloading?

You cannot go wrong with a .270 or .30-06 Good rounds. Lots of options. If you reload, you have great flexibility. If you do not reload, there are still a ton of options out there. The .30-06 has been the parent round for many wildcats and SAAMI spec rounds. It has been around for 120 years. The .30-06 uses the same bullets as the .308, but the case is bigger (more powder). The case is not as big as the .300 Winchester Magnum, but I call it a baby magnum. My first hi-power was a 30-06.

6.5 Creedmore is OK. Expensive. Popular. The new "look at me" crowd. I like .260 Remington a bit better, but basically the same round. I would not use it on anything bigger than a deer. I know this will ruffle some feathers, but long-distance = bad hunter. 90% of hunting is putting a good stalk on and getting close to your prey so you can make an accurate shot and make it so your animal does not suffer needlessly from poor bullet placement and a bullet that has lost most of its "omph".

.308 is great (that is what I settled on). I use this for deer, antelope, depredation and target practice. It is a short-bolt, so it is a bit more compact. I know guys who use it for elk, but I prefer .338 Winchester in that role. There are so many platform you can use. My favorite platforms for .308 is the Springfield M1A. But there are AR versions, bolt actions, slight actions, lever actions - pretty much the gambit of platforms. Ammo is plentiful and there are some amazing loads out there for this cartridge.

Sidearm - I like my .45 LC. There is a lot of flexibility in the loads. SAAMI spec. is rather limited, but I use custom loads in bear country.

.45 ACP is great for self-defense. 10mm is better, but availability is less. 10mm is a great round which has matured in the past 15 years. It is in the category of self-defense to dangerous game. Lots of people use it for a sidearm in bear territory. In territory with dangerous animals (i.e. bears when salmon or trout fishing) the .45 LC is my choice. I have a .454 or 2 but they are a little abusive for the little gain I get from my .45 LC loads.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom