All around rifle (2 Viewers)

How far are you shooting

So I got a Vortex Crossfire II 4-12X44 scope.
I got it sighted in and ready. Bore sighting with a bolt action is pretty easy.
Yup but don’t go with just a bore sight. They are not exact. Follow the break in requirements for the barrel that the manufacture recommends. Usually this means fire a shot, clean barrel and then wait 2 minutes to fire again. This is important because it allows the barrel to cool and each shot is fired under the same conditions.

I've been convinced to make the move to 10mm from 45acp in my 1911 of choice but I refuse to give up my .308.

I've been convinced to make the move to 10mm from 45acp in my 1911 of choice but I refuse to give up my .308.
I like the 10mm. I don’t currently own any but have had a few Glocks and a 1911.

I tried .460 Rowland in a 1911 platform and I love it, but the scarcity and cost of the ammo put me off it. The 10mm delivers a similar energy to the .45acp, shoots flatter, and I get an extra round in the mag. It's not as readily available but it's not terrible.
To the original question, to me, the only way you have an "all around" rifle is that it's to some extent overkill in some categories. If you have a particular use that requires "just so" you generally have a specialized tool for that. At least me.

My 3 "Go To" rifles for white tail are...

35 Whelen - I use this when I am hunting very small food plots, primitive only days, and in the woods on a ladder/climber in small areas. If you place a shot anywhere in the body cavity behind the shoulder... You have a dead animal that you rarely have to track. Everything I have ever shot with this thing drops like it was hit by lightening. That said, it's about 100 yard gun. Anything further requires some scope correction because of bullet drop.

.308 Win - I use this as my "All around" hunting rifle. Pretty much good for all occasions. Good accuracy out to about 400 yards. Good knock down power with good shot placement, and consistent shot pattern with a good scope and the right loads. Can also shoot 7.62x51 Nato rounds in a pinch if needed.

6.5 Creedmor - This is my "Long gun". I use this exclusively when I am hunting on Powerlines, Pipelines, and old Rail Tracks. Pretty much anytime the shot is likely to be more than 300 yards. Very accurate and flies flat. Be prepared to track your kill though. Knock down power is marginal, even when I use the Hornady loads.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom