All around rifle (1 Viewer)

tomwaits

Frontier Psychiatrist
Reaction score
I am looking for a rifle I can take to the range, but also use to hunt stuff in Texas.
From the research I have done so far, I am leaning towards a 6.5 Creedmoor caliber rifle.

What do you experts think? I know the 6.5 Creedmoor has a lot of fans and detractors.

Barrel burner. 2500 rounds.

Let me qualify by saying, I have practically zero knowledge of Creedmoor..

If in the Hill Country... Anything in the vicinity of 308, 270, 30-06 will be very sufficient. Put some good glass on it and give it a whirl...

BTW, if you're looking to go this season... it's right around the corner, starts in a couple of weeks.

I use .270 as well... 130gr Ballistic Silver Tips... alas I haven't found any in over a yr.

Practically all shots are <200yds, most in 125-150yd range. I've also shot axis with this setup and it's about 50/50 on whether they drop right there or not. Shot placement does play a part, but they are tough animals.

I use .270 as well... 130gr Ballistic Silver Tips... alas I haven't found any in over a yr.

Practically all shots are <200yds, most in 125-150yd range. I've also shot axis with this setup and it's about 50/50 on whether they drop right there or not. Shot placement does play a part, but they are tough animals.
Man I have hundreds of unloaded rounds. I just load about 10 a year. I have a 95grain also I believe I load for coyote. I love my .270.

I've used nothing but a .270 for 20 years now. Before that it was always 30-06. They are continually top choice, for good reason. Stick with the classics. It will be easier to find ammo during the shortages.

I have had people tell me 30.06 and .308 would tear up too much meat on Whitetail, but .243 is not great for anything bigger than whitetail. Then I hear that barrel life for .270 and 6.5C is not that much different. I also hear that 6.5 has less shoulder impact so can be fired more at the range.

I have had people tell me 30.06 and .308 would tear up too much meat on Whitetail, but .243 is not great for anything bigger than whitetail. Then I hear that barrel life for .270 and 6.5C is not that much different. I also hear that 6.5 has less shoulder impact so can be fired more at the range.
So I don't target shoot with my 270. I typically go to the range the w eek before gun season. Fire a couple rounds to ensure scope is still set and the 1 shot for a deer. I control everything for my .270. I use the same brass, primers, bullets and powder.

Same here.

I have a Remington 700 .270 with a Leupold VX.R 3-9x50 glass. Back when I purchased it about 10 years ago I sighted it in with Fusion 130 gr. soft points. I like the flat trajectory at <200 yds you get with the .270. I had a muzzle break installed on it, so it really doesn't recoil much at all.

The 6.5 Creedmore is interesting and inviting, and were I in the market for a new rifle I would probably go with that due to the extended range, popularity and the variety of loads available since it became popular.

So I found a great deal on a .270. I got a Marlin XL7, which I understand is an entry level rifle that got all of the basic stuff right, but I also know that Marlin is currently not serviceable, as they were recently sold to Ruger after Remington bankruptcy. I am now looking at a scope and hear that 3-9x40 is pretty standard for TX whitetail hunting. How important is parallax settings?

I lived without them for most of my life.

Of all the rifles I own, and I own a small armory, my 270 is the one that is just the one. I’ve run about 190 rounds through it, sighted it in with 130 grain and shoot a few just to make sure everything is spot on. It’s like that favorite pair of socks. It’s just there, it just does.

Now if I have to go out and reach out, I use my dads custom 300 Weatherby which is sighted in at 500 yards with 180 grain

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom