Rebel Moon - New IP space opera coming this year (2 Viewers)

He needs a couple more to break the top 100

I’ll bet weighed as a percentage of his total roles, he’s top 5.

Reviews are mostly negative. Too bad. Consensus seems to be fans of Zack Snyder will like it, which doesn't bode well for me.

I just finished it, while I found it entertaining (some great fight scenes), it kept reminding me of 300 and Sucker Punch w/ a Sci-Fi twist b/c of all of the slo-mo action, (then I remembered that Zach directed those as well lol). Some of the visuals/CGI were pretty amazing, but the story is a little John Carter-campy. I will watch the sequel though. I'm not a Zach fan by any means though...

Last edited:
I watched it last night. I wanted it to be good. Maybe the 2nd part is better.

The story is just a series of tropes one after the other, with nothing really to set them apart from other movies but space setting and the CGI. The fighting scenes, they look too "choregraphed", especially the hand to hand, more like a dance routine than a fighting sequence.

And speaking of hand to hand combat, there have been a number of films with female leads as bad arses. Putting aside superhero movies, the problem with many of these films is that they cast women who just don't look the part of the bad arse, and Sophia Boutella just doesn't look the part, nor does she have the acting chops to play one (or frankly, the acting chops to play a dramatic role). If actual acting is not a requirement, then cast someone like Ronda Rousey; if acting is required, then someone like Michele Rodriguez , Noomi Rapace, Danai Gurira...

I swear Zack Snyder is what would happen if you have any 13 year old boy an unlimited budget to make a sweet fantasy movie. This movie has no nuance, no charm. Every character is a cliche. Every action trope is checked off. It’s amazing that they keep letting him make movies. And more amazing that here I am watching it like a rube.

I swear Zack Snyder is what would happen if you have any 13 year old boy an unlimited budget to make a sweet fantasy movie. This movie has no nuance, no charm. Every character is a cliche. Every action trope is checked off. It’s amazing that they keep letting him make movies. And more amazing that here I am watching it like a rube.
He's made enough of his fair share of hit, mega-blockbuster movies in the past that he still has somewhat of a decent, marketable reputation with some film studio executives, stars, actors/actresses that maybe his huge, over-bloated, massively over-budgeted movies will be successful, decent and believable enough to watch by millions of people like they believe they once did.

They think that perhaps he'll mature, evolve and grow his artistic visions by listening to enough feedback from audiences who complain and keep criticizing and pointing out the same mistakes he keeps making in all or most of his movies. Or maybe they don't care about how many negative reviews critics doll out if the series recoups 4-5x the money it invested in the project.

Zach Snyder is the wannabe Christopher Nolan who remained a 13-14 year old fan boy at heart who never grew up, matured and evolved his artistic, filmmaking scope, vision, and aesthetics beyond that a mid-teen. I have some hesitation even mentioning Nolan in this thread reply because I realize some posters will, rightfully, criticize my lack of decency and ethics for even mentioning Snyder's name anywhere near a great director like Nolan who gave us Memento, Batman trilogy with Christian Bale, and this year's tour de force Oppenheimer.

I guess I'm gonna have to watch this myself just to see how bad it is. The trailer makes it look awesome, but I've not heard one good thing about it.

My 20 yr old was watching this last night and he kept calling it "Rip-Off Star Wars" and kept getting angrier the more he watched it. I am not sure if he finished it or not.
I thiiiink he had originally worked on it as a Star Wars movie, so that tracks

My 20 yr old was watching this last night and he kept calling it "Rip-Off Star Wars" and kept getting angrier the more he watched it. I am not sure if he finished it or not.

Perfect opportunity to introduce him to 7 Samurai.

On the first page of the thread, I posted about all the scenes that were uncannily reminiscent of other movies/series just in the trailer, and mentioned Gladiator, Star Wars, Star Trek, Witcher, Avatar, Game of Thrones, Dune... I can add 300... the last scene with the robot wearing the antlers, very Fallout 3...

i found it more on the Chronicles of Riddick than i did Star Wars.
i didn't think it was terrible. it was entertaining. i am glad the light saber swords weren't a focal point in the movie.

Watching this last night and Synder basically took every movie that made money, stole something from it and sprinkled it into this pile of a movie. I felt like this the entire time.

1704034048645.jpeg

Also, the red-shirt guys from Star Trek have more character development/background than all of the characters combined but one.

I watched it yesterday while recovering from an upper respiratory infection that ****** up 5 days of my vacation. It's a good movie to watch when you're under the weather as it will not strain your intellect. Definite Star Wars similarities. Watch it if you have nothing else to do, but don't clear your schedule for it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom