Pretentious Baby Names (1 Viewer)

Dr. Doctor, gimme the news!!
I really can't help the fact that I have an incurable case of passionately loving you. No sedative, pill or shot will cure my ills because I've got a bad case of loving you.

American English is full of "inefficient" words from the front of the dictionary to the back.
Why name someone Robert but call them Bob, or Anthony Tony and William Bill? Isn't that being inefficient? Just name them Bob, Tony or Bill..

sounds like you’ve made that argument before

how did those nicknames even come about?

Nick, Matt, Steve and Tom make sense

but how do you get Bill from William? Jack from John?

How do we get @superchuck500 from superCharles500?

Last edited:
How about the lady who had a perfectly normal/average name and then had the misfortune of marrying the owner of a local car dealership.
She was Rosie...
The dealership was Butts Cadillac

And the rest is history. True story

COPENHAGEN, Denmark (AP) — Have you thought about Malm, Kivik or Trotten?

Swedish retailer Ikea is known for the distinctive names of its flat-pack home products. The company’s Norway branch wants to use the brand’s experience to help parents browsing the baby-naming department.

Ikea Norway has built “a name bank” with more than 800 listings available on its website. The names are drawn from ones Ikea has given to its furniture instead of product numbers since 1948.

“After all these years, (Ikea) has built up a large ‘catalog’ to pick from,” Ikea Norway said in a statement……

It’s always a big deal when a co-worker announces a birth! All the excitement of new life, new additions to their family, new stories, and, of course, new names.

For one workplace, the announcement of a co-worker having twins was exciting, until she revealed the names she had chosen.

Taking to Reddit's r/AmITheA--hole, where users vent about personal conflicts, a woman shared a twisting tale that has gotten her in trouble at work.

She and her husband would be naming the children “Sean” and “Seen,” both pronounced the same. To make matters worse, their last name is already “Sean”.

The announcement was made after she brought the children into the office to introduce to her team, and announced that they would both be named “Sean”, just with one “a” and one with an “e.”

When the overlap of these first names with their already existing last name of “Sean” was pointed out, she responded, “yes, like Tom Tom or Jay Jay." They will have no middle names to distinguish them either.

The woman who penned the Reddit post couldn’t believe the decision and unthinkingly replied "that is the most idiotic thing I've heard, and it's going to be so confusing." Allegedly some coworkers laughed in response, although others felt that she should have kept her opinion to herself, and later texted her to let her know...........

It’s always a big deal when a co-worker announces a birth! All the excitement of new life, new additions to their family, new stories, and, of course, new names.

For one workplace, the announcement of a co-worker having twins was exciting, until she revealed the names she had chosen.

Taking to Reddit's r/AmITheA--hole, where users vent about personal conflicts, a woman shared a twisting tale that has gotten her in trouble at work.

She and her husband would be naming the children “Sean” and “Seen,” both pronounced the same. To make matters worse, their last name is already “Sean”.

The announcement was made after she brought the children into the office to introduce to her team, and announced that they would both be named “Sean”, just with one “a” and one with an “e.”

When the overlap of these first names with their already existing last name of “Sean” was pointed out, she responded, “yes, like Tom Tom or Jay Jay." They will have no middle names to distinguish them either.

The woman who penned the Reddit post couldn’t believe the decision and unthinkingly replied "that is the most idiotic thing I've heard, and it's going to be so confusing." Allegedly some coworkers laughed in response, although others felt that she should have kept her opinion to herself, and later texted her to let her know...........

Like 90% of everything posted on the AITA subreddit is made up bullshirt designed to karma farm. Even among other subreddits its regarded as a place where basically nothing is real.

The woman was right. The parents are morons.

My daughter's name is Bayleigh. Last year, a new girl joined her softball team. Her name was spelled exactly the same.
This year, another new girl joined. My wife asked her name to put her (and her mom) in the group me chat. She said Emily, and with a disappointed tone, says, but it's spelled different, it's spelled Emmaleigh. My wife says, don't worry, I got you, my daughter feels your pain..
But I've never understood the taboo of having a non cookie cutter name. I'm not sure why people have a hard time with other people's names.

It's a cookie cutter name masquerading as a unique one, but it's not unique at all. You just end up with a softball team full of the new centuries' basic names...Bayleighs, Ashleighs, and Emmaleighs.

Sorry, I mean Bayleigh is a beautiful name!

I went to school with a girl named Aeimii AKA Amy

slightly different

i grew up with a girl whose last name was Clutts, pronounced ‘Klutz’ just like you’d suspect

she spent high school trying to insist it was really pronounced ‘Clue-Tess’

I don't mind the Bayleighs of the world. It can actually be pronounced correctly without much thought because -Leigh has a known pronunciation.

What gets me are the names that are "pronunced" differently from how they are spelled. When it's like...that's not the sound those letters make, Klutz

I don't mind the Bayleighs of the world. It can actually be pronounced correctly without much thought because -Leigh has a known pronunciation.

What gets me are the names that are "pronunced" differently from how they are spelled. When it's like...that's not the sound those letters make, Klutz
It's funny you posted this

I was just about to post about a woman I knew who worked at a client of mine

Her name was Karen

Nope. You're pronouncing it wrong. How do I know? because you are pronouncing it the way 99.9999999999999999% of people would

It was pronounced kay-REEN. And if you said it wrong, and again everyone did, she'd have something to say about it

I never found out if her name was always said that way from birth or just decided one day to change how her name was said

Her co workers would hear her correct people on the phone "actually, it's pronounced kay-REEN" and I swear the whole office would eye roll in unison

Last edited:
It's a cookie cutter name masquerading as a unique one, but it's not unique at all. You just end up with a softball team full of the new centuries' basic names...Bayleighs, Ashleighs, and Emmaleighs.

Sorry, I mean Bayleigh is a beautiful name!
Whenever I see those names I think, "Wow, they must be so classi."

Like 90% of everything posted on the AITA subreddit is made up bullshirt designed to karma farm. Even among other subreddits its regarded as a place where basically nothing is real.

maybe. but there we've posted enough examples in this thread alone and people are weird enough that it's certainly possible

The Florida man is chock full of incidents where'd you'd think, 'there is no way a human being would actually do that' but here we are

Years ago, a friend of mine that worked at Children's Hospital brought home a list of horrible names they had seen.

The one that really stuck with me was Nosmo King

Is that something anyone has ever said to a pregnant woman? "Your baby seems cozy in your belly?"

Much less multiple people saying the same odd comment to the same woman?

Noticed she keeps wiping at tears you can't see
=========================================================

Influencer Liana Jade has shared her emotional response to fellow YouTubers who recently made fun of uncommon baby names.

Jade and her partner, Connor Darlington, have more than two million subscribers on YouTube, where they frequently post videos about their relationship and family. In July, the pair announced the arrival of their son, Koazy, whose name is pronounced like “Cosy”.

In a recent video posted to her TikTok, Jade addressed some of the backlash that she’s faced over he son’s name, and called out YouTubers Matt and Abby for a recent episode of The Unplanned Podcast, where they discussed baby names.

“No hate but you might have seen that the couple Matt and Abby,” she said, with tears in her eyes. “They were talking about people naming their kids new, original names…They were saying how ridiculous some of these new, unique names were.”

While the couple didn’t specifically mention the name Koazy, Abby did claim in their video that some of the baby names “that are out there nowadays” kind of “bug her,” which Matt agreed with. Abby also claimed that giving a child a name that hasn’t been used before “might not be the flex that [people] think it is” and could be “a red flag”.

In her TikTok video, Jade went on tearfully address how her child’s name came to be.

“Basically, our baby is called Koazy, and I know it’s not everybody’s cup of tea,” Jade explained. “But people have kind of pulled our context that we called him Koazy because he was cosy in the womb. No, it was a name we already had.”

The influencer acknowledged that the name felt even more fitting during her pregnancy, explaining: “As I was getting so hefty pregnant, people were saying: ‘Oh he’s cosy in your belly.’ And it kind of confirmed to us that’s what we should name him. Because we already had that name and people were saying it.”

After noting that it felt like her son’s name was “meant to be,” she also acknowledged that she “wasn’t trying to name him anything for a flex”. She then shared that when viewers in the comments of Matt and Abby’s video “ripped at” her baby’s name, it “really upset” her...............

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom