Peter Frampton: 55 million streams and I got paid $1700 (2 Viewers)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve heard that artists don’t make much from streaming but I had no idea it was that bad

I’ve read that the thinking of some artists is streaming leads to exposure and popularity which leads to more and better gigs and that’s where the money comes from

But it still seems like they’re getting hosed
=====================================

Peter Frampton put those fractions into actual dollars.

“For 55 million streams of, ‘Baby I Love Your Way’, I got $1,700,” he wrote.

“I went to Washington with ASCAP last year to talk to law makers about this.

Their jaws dropped and they asked me to repeat that for them.”..............

David Crosby Rails Against the 'Theft' of Streaming Music

Does anyone know what 55 million radio plays would be?

He wouldn't be making that much from actual record sales either. Musicians who are not A+ level currently, for the most part, don't make any money unless they go out on tour and tour consistently.

I went to a concert for a certain very influential heavy metal band from Sweden and got backstage meet-and-greet package and got to talking with these dudes, after they get done with their tour they go back home and get crap jobs because they can't live on their record sales. Now these guys aren't the biggest act in the world by far, but they've been around 25 years and have a lot of clout artistically speaking. You wouldn't think they would have to go home and work in a grocery store to make ends meet.

Musicians always get hosed. The record studios, the promoters, and the venues eat all the money.

It's even worse for composers than players. At least players' agents only take 10% (after promoters, etc. have stolen the Lion's share). Publishing companies take 90%, giving the composer only 10% of the transaction of their music sales. It's a complete racket.

I'd like to know the comparing numbers for Radio, etc. I don't think they get money per play on radio.

You can't look at it from an Album perspective, where they probably get a buck or two per album (unless self produced), because people are charged for the Album and can listen to the songs as many times as they want.

Streaming is the worst thing for music I've ever seen. I hate it and won't have anything to do with it.

I promise, you are in the minority on this one. Music cannot be protected from sharing in today's internet world. If musicians want to be filthy rich, they need to adjust their business model. You saying that is like saying, smartphones are the worst thing for news I have ever seen. I won't touch news on websites (and read my newspapers instead).

He wouldn't be making that much from actual record sales either. Musicians who are not A+ level currently, for the most part, don't make any money unless they go out on tour and tour consistently.

I went to a concert for a certain very influential heavy metal band from Sweden and got backstage meet-and-greet package and got to talking with these dudes, after they get done with their tour they go back home and get crap jobs because they can't live on their record sales. Now these guys aren't the biggest act in the world by far, but they've been around 25 years and have a lot of clout artistically speaking. You wouldn't think they would have to go home and work in a grocery store to make ends meet.

As a Swede living in the U.S. Would you mind sharing what band it was? I know there are lot of semi unknown Swedish heavy metal bands touring around the world.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom