Peter Angelos (owner of Baltimore Orioles) es morte (1 Viewer)

How the mighty have fallen (Marsha, not Peter Angelos)

Huh, he graduated from the same law school my dad did. That's all I have to say.

Hmmm. Well, I used to live in Baltimore so it's relevant to me.
fxk1.gif

Angelos got alot of hate in the local area, especially from DC area folks, but in the end he was pretty committed to Baltimore and did want to field a competitive team.

That 14-year losing streak was painful to live through. But during his tenure they were at least had two stretches where they were legit contenders (mid to late 90s, and 2012-2016). You can say he made plenty of mistake and did not adjust to the new style of fielding competitve baseball the smaller to mid market teams like the Oakland As and Tampa Bay Rays figured out. The Orioles fan I think had maybe unreasonably high expectations for the franchise, being stuck in the most competitive division in baseball, probably in all of sports.

Angelos got alot of hate in the local area, especially from DC area folks, but in the end he was pretty committed to Baltimore and did want to field a competitive team.

That 14-year losing streak was painful to live through. But during his tenure they were at least had two stretches where they were legit contenders (mid to late 90s, and 2012-2016). You can say he made plenty of mistake and did not adjust to the new style of fielding competitve baseball the smaller to mid market teams like the Oakland As and Tampa Bay Rays figured out. The Orioles fan I think had maybe unreasonably high expectations for the franchise, being stuck in the most competitive division in baseball, probably in all of sports.
Angelos got a lot of criticism and hatred, perhaps because he had for the longest time opposed MLB expansion or relocation back to D.C. and since Washington D.C. has a rich, deep MLB history, they saw his opposition as mostly selfish and self-centered because after Senators left Washington in 1971, Orioles pretty much swooped in and absorbed the market as their own and why not? Baltimore Orioles were a great team from the late 60's to early 80's with a legendary cast of future HOFers like Eddie Murray, Cal Ripken Jr., Earl Weaver, Frank Robinson, Brooks Robinson, etc. I don't think Angelos earned himself any favors by publicly opposing the old Expos relocation to D.C. in 2005 plus he was the only owner, IIRC, to vote against the team relocating.

Tampa Bay Rays are a great example of an excellent smart-market team that excels, or performs exponentially better with far less then teams like Yankees and Dodgers who have $100 million dollar bankrolls, plus they play their home games in an old, antiquated dump of a stadium and don't even come close to selling out postseason home games that ESPN announcers call out the local fan base for lack of support. A city like Montreal or even Nashville would kill to have a great, exciting consistently winning team like the Rays.

The Oakland A's are going to be a moribund, rented-out team and organization for the next 3-4 seasons and are going to be perceived as having a rootless existence until 2028. I've heard some rumors that suggest MLB would prefer to disband the team, organization permanently for several years, retire the A's team name and moniker, and then just start up again in Las Vegas as a brand-new expansion team in 2028. I can't see the MLBPA allowing that occuring under any circumstances.

Angelos got a lot of criticism and hatred, perhaps because he had for the longest time opposed MLB expansion or relocation back to D.C. and since Washington D.C. has a rich, deep MLB history, they saw his opposition as mostly selfish and self-centered because after Senators left Washington in 1971, Orioles pretty much swooped in and absorbed the market as their own and why not? Baltimore Orioles were a great team from the late 60's to early 80's with a legendary cast of future HOFers like Eddie Murray, Cal Ripken Jr., Earl Weaver, Frank Robinson, Brooks Robinson, etc. I don't think Angelos earned himself any favors by publicly opposing the old Expos relocation to D.C. in 2005 plus he was the only owner, IIRC, to vote against the team relocating.

Tampa Bay Rays are a great example of an excellent smart-market team that excels, or performs exponentially better with far less then teams like Yankees and Dodgers who have $100 million dollar bankrolls, plus they play their home games in an old, antiquated dump of a stadium and don't even come close to selling out postseason home games that ESPN announcers call out the local fan base for lack of support. A city like Montreal or even Nashville would kill to have a great, exciting consistently winning team like the Rays.

The Oakland A's are going to be a moribund, rented-out team and organization for the next 3-4 seasons and are going to be perceived as having a rootless existence until 2028. I've heard some rumors that suggest MLB would prefer to disband the team, organization permanently for several years, retire the A's team name and moniker, and then just start up again in Las Vegas as a brand-new expansion team in 2028. I can't see the MLBPA allowing that occuring under any circumstances.
For Nats fans, I understand the hate. Although to be honest, its hard to blame him for the opposition. Do you think the Nats be OK with a team in northern Virginia? Or how about putting a basketball/hockey team in Baltimore?

For years, the DC media had effectively adopted the Orioles as the "local" team.

Regarding the TV rights, was it really expected to just hand them over for nothing. Thats unfortunately how the MLB does business. Teams have exclusive rights over geographic regions.

For Nats fans, I understand the hate. Although to be honest, its hard to blame him for the opposition. Do you think the Nats be OK with a team in northern Virginia? Or how about putting a basketball/hockey team in Baltimore?

For years, the DC media had effectively adopted the Orioles as the "local" team.

Regarding the TV rights, was it really expected to just hand them over for nothing. Thats unfortunately how the MLB does business. Teams have exclusive rights over geographic regions.
The whole Baltimore/D.C. or DMV geographic regions when it came to sports teams in both cities or one particular city, was a bit strange and peculiar for the longest time because it seemed, at times, like both cities "shared" or from an outsider's perspective, their was this comorbidity as it related to region's NBA and NHL teams. For decades, the old Bullets either played in D.C. or Baltimore or both cities had some arrangement where Bullets played home games in both D.C. or Baltimore until the late 1990's when D.C. finally built an arena in Chinatown region for both Caps and Wizards around 1998-99. Both Wizards/Bullets and Caps occasionally played home games at the Capital Center until the late 90's so one was never totally sure who's teams they really were. Just recently, Northern Virginia rejected a proposal to build a near-billion dollar arena for the Caps/Wizards in IIRC, around Arlington, a D.C. suburb.

The distinctions or fan loyalties became a lot clearer from the early 70's-mid-2000's, as after the old Senators left for DFW, Orioles became the de facto MLB team for Washington-based MLB fans until 2005 whereas conversely, by the early-to-mid 80's with rise of Redskins as SB contenders/Champions throughout the 1980's/early 90's, and the decline and eventual loss/relocation of Colts from Baltimore to Indy in 1984, for twelve, long years, I'm sure more then a few old Colts fans became Redskins fans, Eagles fans, in Saintterps case, he became a Saints fan, but until late August 1996, Baltimore sort of had become a Redskins town although I'm sure some grizzled middle-aged, senior citizen Ravens fans would probably swipe back at me for saying that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom