New Orleans Pelicans(22-15) @ Golden State Warriors(17-19) on ABC at 7:30pm. We a Basketball City, now! 🏀 (1 Viewer)

Werd. I just got League Pass on YouTube TV and it will record all of the games automatically. I never remember to go to the NBA app to watch a replay lol.

That picture looks like Zion wants out of NOLA.

With having the league's hardest schedule this month, I had said coming out of January a couple games over .500 would be successful (at least 9-6). So far we are 4-1 a third of the way through
Yep. Winning 7 of the last 10 and 6 of the last 7 ( :eek: ) is quite a stunner. And now we get to watch another nationally televised, primetime game on Friday night on the road in Denver against the reigning champs. I'm totally expecting a letdown against the Nuggets, and it would be hard to gripe if that happens. But if the streak continues, I'm going to start believing that this Pels team could make it happen here!

Once again, I'll be all in on Friday night to find out what's in store for the rest of the season! :very-happy:

Yep. Winning 7 of the last 10 and 6 of the last 7 ( :eek: ) is quite a stunner. And now we get to watch another nationally televised, primetime game on Friday night on the road in Denver against the reigning champs. I'm totally expecting a letdown against the Nuggets, and it would be hard to gripe if that happens. But if the streak continues, I'm going to start believing that this Pels team could make it happen here!

Once again, I'll be all in on Friday night to find out what's in store for the rest of the season! :very-happy:
We aren't going to go undefeated the rest of the way lol

The one thing I will say is that during our current run, we have won the 'trap' games that we were losing earlier (Nets, Lakers, Jazz, Warriors) and we haven't had second half collapses.

The one thing I will say is that during our current run, we have won the 'trap' games that we were losing earlier (Nets, Lakers, Jazz, Warriors) and we haven't had second half collapses.
"What's in store" is NOT the same as expecting the Pels to go undefeated. But it IS the same as coming to learn if this team can be considered a legitimate contender in the playoffs. We learn such things by seeing how the Pels handle themselves over long stretches, not just against the top teams. However, if we can't even be competitive against the better teams, then we will certainly know 'what's in store' for the '23-'24 Pelicans.

Football guys trying to comprehend losing a single regular season basketball game

Dude....we are tied for the best record in the NBA vs teams with a winning record since November 14th (tied with Boston) at 9-4. And our conference is far more difficult than Boston's

So if we lose against Denver you are going to ignore that and decide that means we aren't a legitimate contender? How does losing one game to a good team mean more than the 9-4 record we have compiled to this point?

Edit: deleted the previous post because I was incorrect. Since November 14th, we are 11-2 against teams that currently have a winning record. But if we lose tomorrow night we can't compete against playoff caliber teams?

Dude....we are tied for the best record in the NBA vs teams with a winning record since November 14th (tied with Boston) at 9-4. And our conference is far more difficult than Boston's

So if we lose against Denver you are going to ignore that and decide that means we aren't a legitimate contender? How does losing one game to a good team mean more than the 9-4 record we have compiled to this point?

Edit: deleted the previous post because I was incorrect. Since November 14th, we are 11-2 against teams that currently have a winning record. But if we lose tomorrow night we can't compete against playoff caliber teams?
Of course I won't ignore those things. In fact I fully expect Denver to be at the top of their game when they face the Pels on Friday night. I actually expect the Nuggets to take the game. I won't think any less of the Pels if they lose to Denver. But there's a big difference between losing a game and the WAY a team might lose a game. A fan's expectations are based on a lot of things. Which teams you beat and how you win or lose your games tells the real story of the kind of team that you have. And most fans know that intangibles such as injuries and scheduling can affect your team's performance as much as the teams you play.

Example: Would you draw different conclusions about your team if they consistently won (or lost) their next 20 games by 1 point or by 30 points? Of course you would. Would your feelings change about your team in the scenarios above if those same scores happened while you or your opponent had 3 or 4 of the starters out during those games? Those things make a difference in your personal evaluation of where your team fits in the list of contenders.

The Pels are playing some amazing basketball in their last 10 games. They are coming together at a great time and are showing that they can compete with anyone in the league. I feel like the sky's the limit right now. But if they suddenly won only about 10% of their next 20 or so games for no apparent reason, it would certainly affect my expectations regarding their chances come playoff time.

The Pels have displayed the ability to challenge & beat anyone right now. That gives a Pels fan a great feeling! Losing a few (close) games against top competition is not going to change that feeling one bit. But if the Pels get 'skull drug' all over their schedule for the next few weeks, the tune we are signing right now will change in a hurry. For now, I'm seeing some good things in the future for the Pels and their fans! :9:

Of course I won't ignore those things. In fact I fully expect Denver to be at the top of their game when they face the Pels on Friday night. I actually expect the Nuggets to take the game. I won't think any less of the Pels if they lose to Denver. But there's a big difference between losing a game and the WAY a team might lose a game. A fan's expectations are based on a lot of things. Which teams you beat and how you win or lose your games tells the real story of the kind of team that you have. And most fans know that intangibles such as injuries and scheduling can affect your team's performance as much as the teams you play.

Example: Would you draw different conclusions about your team if they consistently won (or lost) their next 20 games by 1 point or by 30 points? Of course you would. Would your feelings change about your team in the scenarios above if those same scores happened while you or your opponent had 3 or 4 of the starters out during those games? Those things make a difference in your personal evaluation of where your team fits in the list of contenders.

The Pels are playing some amazing basketball in their last 10 games. They are coming together at a great time and are showing that they can compete with anyone in the league. I feel like the sky's the limit right now. But if they suddenly won only about 10% of their next 20 or so games for no apparent reason, it would certainly affect my expectations regarding their chances come playoff time.

The Pels have displayed the ability to challenge & beat anyone right now. That gives a Pels fan a great feeling! Losing a few (close) games against top competition is not going to change that feeling one bit. But if the Pels get 'skull drug' all over their schedule for the next few weeks, the tune we are signing right now will change in a hurry. For now, I'm seeing some good things in the future for the Pels and their fans! :9:
I actually agree with you, but you are more supporting my point than you own. In your example, you aren't talking about a single game, you are talking about 25% of the entire season. Of course a trend that exists over 20 games will give you significant insight into the quality of an NBA team.

The results of one game, however, do not.

Let me use another hypothetical....if they are having winning streaks of 4 or 5 games long (especially against teams with winning records) and happen to lay an egg between those streaks, I can accept that because that is still the equivalent of winning in the playoffs

I love the Hawk-Dyson-Trey-Zion-Nance lineup.

Zion + 2 shooters = death.

I wish Willie would go with similar looks more often but whatever - hard to argue with whipping top WC teams in their own cribs for a whole week.

FWIW it looks like they are tanking the Denver game to rest up for Dallas

FWIW it looks like they are tanking the Denver game to rest up for Dallas

I thought they would tank at least one of them. I really hope they are setting this up to tank the Dallas game because Friday will be the first one that broadcasts OTA.

I actually agree with you, but you are more supporting my point than you own. In your example, you aren't talking about a single game, you are talking about 25% of the entire season. Of course a trend that exists over 20 games will give you significant insight into the quality of an NBA team.

The results of one game, however, do not.

Let me use another hypothetical....if they are having winning streaks of 4 or 5 games long (especially against teams with winning records) and happen to lay an egg between those streaks, I can accept that because that is still the equivalent of winning in the playoffs
I was never talking about a single game. I just said that if they continue the winning streak I will start to believe that we have a real shot to go all the way. Tomorrow night will help us to see how we handle the "better teams". Friday night is just the start of the remainder of the season.

If the latest reports are true that we will be sitting out lots of starters, then the loss tomorrow night really won't define anything about the Pels.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom