Name your sleepers in the upcoming draft... (1 Viewer)

Let's talk about the underrated/unheralded draft prospects that we think are undervalued and should be rated somewhat, or much higher in the upcoming draft. Maybe they come from smaller programs. Perhaps they didn't blow it up at the combine or pro-days, or were unable to participate.

Plus, I wanted to do this for posterity to follow how my own picks pan out.

So, I'm going to name three that I've made note of thus far. Feel free to post your own. The caveat is that I don't know what's going on between their ears, so you just don't know if any of the three that I listed below have what it takes from the mental and character standpoints.

1. DT Khristian Boyd - Northern Iowa. After his Saints visit I had to check into this guy. I kept seeing this powerful 6-2, 329 lb. space eating, run stuffing, well constructed for the position manster, that can pressure the QB going from rounds 4 through 6 in mocks. To me, he's likely the 5th or 6th best DT prospect in the draft, with significant upside, despite playing against lesser competition at Northern Iowa. Very disruptive. Great balance and leverage and has a high motor. Did 38 reps with 225lbs on his pro day. He didn't run due to a hammy, but on film you can see that he is explosive and moves well for a guy his size. He had 43 solo tackles, 6.5 for loss, and 3.5 sacks in 2024. Not too shabby. The knock is his length, but yeah, same knock that was on Trey Hendrickson, right? I was impressed with the film that I was able to find on him, so he is a guy that I want to keep an eye on as I think his ceiling is... well... I'm betting that he is a starter somewhere in the NFL within a couple of seasons.

2. WR Bub Means - Pitt. 6-1. 212 lbs. 33/14 in arms, 10 1/8 in hands. Here is what I think went going unconsidered in the write up below... Pitt had TERRIBLE QB's. One could argue that had Means played in a program with better QB play would be rated a LOT higher. Most have Means rated as a late round pick and a projected backup. I think he's better than that. Good size, strong, fast, excellent large hands, and with build up speed/long speed, meaning he is even faster than his 4.43 time suggests when running the shorter 40 yd dash, I would definitely consider taking a flyer on the guy with one of the later round picks. I could see him in a WR rotation sooner than later.

1713514240338.png

1713514314100.png

3. TE Jared Wiley - TCU: 6'6, 249. Ok, perhaps not ideal as a blocker, but willing. However, as a receiver he's pretty much NFL Ready, IMO. This past season Wiley had 47 receptions for 520 yards and 8 TD's. He's a former QB that understands the position and where he needs to be to get open. He ran a 4.62-40 at the combine which is close to Jimmy Graham's 4.56, and notably both Wiley and Graham actually came in at 6'6" at the combine while Jimmy weighed in at 260 compared to Wiley's 249. Graham had a slightly better vertical (38.5 to 37.0), 10-yd split (1.58 to 1.62) and 3 cone (6.9 to 7.19), so they were close on the measurables. Not saying that he is the next Jimmy, just that Wiley isn't far off, and it gives us an idea of his ceiling. His film, to me, looks a good bit better than the write up below suggests. I see a guy with upside, and I think he's future starter material for some team.

1713516844686.png

1713516871359.png

BREAKING NEWS: New Orleans Saints sign Andrus to a free agent scouting contract. Terms were not disclosed but it's believed he will be in charge of the Saints 2025 Draft from rounds 5-7 :)

Let's talk about the underrated/unheralded draft prospects that we think are undervalued and should be rated somewhat, or much higher in the upcoming draft. Maybe they come from smaller programs. Perhaps they didn't blow it up at the combine or pro-days, or were unable to participate.

So, I'm going to name three that I've made note of thus far. Feel free to post your own. The caveat is that I don't know what's going on between their ears, so you just don't know if any of the three that I listed below have what it takes from the mental and character standpoints.

1. DT Khristian Boyd - Northern Iowa. After his Saints visit I had to check into this guy. I kept seeing this powerful 6-2, 329 lb. space eating, run stuffing, well constructed for the position manster, that can pressure the QB going from rounds 4 through 6 in mocks. To me, he's likely the 5th or 6th best DT prospect in the draft, with significant upside, despite playing against lesser competition at Northern Iowa. Very disruptive. Great balance and leverage and has a high motor. Did 38 reps with 225lbs on his pro day. He didn't run due to a hammy, but on film you can see that he is explosive and moves well for a guy his size. He had 43 solo tackles, 6.5 for loss, and 3.5 sacks in 2024. Not too shabby. The knock is his length, but yeah, same knock that was on Trey Hendrickson, right? I was impressed with the film that I was able to find on him, so he is a guy that I want to keep an eye on as I think his ceiling is... well... I'm betting that he is a starter somewhere in the NFL within a couple of seasons.

2. WR Bub Means - Pitt. 6-1. 212 lbs. 33/14 in arms, 10 1/8 in hands. Here is what I think went going unconsidered in the write up below... Pitt had TERRIBLE QB's. One could argue that had Means played in a program with better QB play would be rated a LOT higher. Most have Means rated as a late round pick and a projected backup. I think he's better than that. Good size, strong, fast, excellent large hands, and with build up speed/long speed, meaning he is even faster than his 4.43 time suggests when running the shorter 40 yd dash, I would definitely consider taking a flyer on the guy with one of the later round picks. I could see him in a WR rotation sooner than later.

1713514240338.png

1713514314100.png

3. TE Jared Wiley - TCU: 6'6, 249. Ok, perhaps not ideal as a blocker, but willing. However, as a receiver he's pretty much NFL Ready, IMO. This past season Wiley had 47 receptions for 520 yards and 8 TD's. He's a former QB that understands the position and where he needs to be to get open. He ran a 4.62-40 at the combine which is close to Jimmy Graham's 4.56, and notably both Wiley and Graham actually came in at 6'6" at the combine while Jimmy weighed in at 260 compared to Wiley's 249. Graham had a slightly better vertical (38.5 to 37.0), 10-yd split (1.58 to 1.62) and 3 cone (6.9 to 7.19), so they were close on the measurables. Not saying that he is the next Jimmy, just that Wiley isn't far off, and it gives us an idea of his ceiling. His film, to me, looks a good bit better than the write up below suggests. I see a guy with upside, and I think he's future starter material for some team.

1713516844686.png

1713516871359.png

Threads like these should have waaaay more traffic, thanks for the heads up Andrus the Saints scouting dept is definitely tuned in.

Did you come up with any other laye rd draft picks that you think might have a chance to a player?

Dang, Andrus, were you in the Saints pre-draft meetings?

• 1Like
Reactions: LoE
Dang, Andrus, were you in the Saints pre-draft meetings?

Nope! I haven't even been to the facility in about 10 years.

BTW - I still consider you to be the resident draft prognosticator. :9: We need to revive that "Predict the draft" game that you kept winning next year.

Threads like these should have waaaay more traffic, thanks for the heads up Andrus the Saints scouting dept is definitely tuned in.

Did you come up with any other laye rd draft picks that you think might have a chance to a player?

None that didn't get drafted, which obviously there will be some UDFA's that will make it in the NFL.

I seriously doubt that, but I have to admit that once those two picks were made I'd be lying if I said that the thought hadn't at least briefly crossed my mind. :hihi:
You know who else the front office is listening too? Charles Davis. He does an annual "must have" players list.

19% of his 2024 list went to the Saints.

Spencer Rattler
Dallin Holker
Khristian Boyd

Charles Davis Must Haves

1713514240338.png

1713514314100.png

1713516844686.png

1713516871359.png

Well done Andrus!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom