Name your sleepers in the upcoming draft... (1 Viewer)

Andrus

Owner/Webmaster
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Let's talk about the underrated/unheralded draft prospects that we think are undervalued and should be rated somewhat, or much higher in the upcoming draft. Maybe they come from smaller programs. Perhaps they didn't blow it up at the combine or pro-days, or were unable to participate.

Plus, I wanted to do this for posterity to follow how my own picks pan out.

So, I'm going to name three that I've made note of thus far. Feel free to post your own. The caveat is that I don't know what's going on between their ears, so you just don't know if any of the three that I listed below have what it takes from the mental and character standpoints.

1. DT Khristian Boyd - Northern Iowa. After his Saints visit I had to check into this guy. I kept seeing this powerful 6-2, 329 lb. space eating, run stuffing, well constructed for the position manster, that can pressure the QB going from rounds 4 through 6 in mocks. To me, he's likely the 5th or 6th best DT prospect in the draft, with significant upside, despite playing against lesser competition at Northern Iowa. Very disruptive. Great balance and leverage and has a high motor. Did 38 reps with 225lbs on his pro day. He didn't run due to a hammy, but on film you can see that he is explosive and moves well for a guy his size. He had 43 solo tackles, 6.5 for loss, and 3.5 sacks in 2024. Not too shabby. The knock is his length, but yeah, same knock that was on Trey Hendrickson, right? I was impressed with the film that I was able to find on him, so he is a guy that I want to keep an eye on as I think his ceiling is... well... I'm betting that he is a starter somewhere in the NFL within a couple of seasons.

2. WR Bub Means - Pitt. 6-1. 212 lbs. 33/14 in arms, 10 1/8 in hands. Here is what I think went going unconsidered in the write up below... Pitt had TERRIBLE QB's. One could argue that had Means played in a program with better QB play would be rated a LOT higher. Most have Means rated as a late round pick and a projected backup. I think he's better than that. Good size, strong, fast, excellent large hands, and with build up speed/long speed, meaning he is even faster than his 4.43 time suggests when running the shorter 40 yd dash, I would definitely consider taking a flyer on the guy with one of the later round picks. I could see him in a WR rotation sooner than later.

1713514240338.png

1713514314100.png

3. TE Jared Wiley - TCU: 6'6, 249. Ok, perhaps not ideal as a blocker, but willing. However, as a receiver he's pretty much NFL Ready, IMO. This past season Wiley had 47 receptions for 520 yards and 8 TD's. He's a former QB that understands the position and where he needs to be to get open. He ran a 4.62-40 at the combine which is close to Jimmy Graham's 4.56, and notably both Wiley and Graham actually came in at 6'6" at the combine while Jimmy weighed in at 260 compared to Wiley's 249. Graham had a slightly better vertical (38.5 to 37.0), 10-yd split (1.58 to 1.62) and 3 cone (6.9 to 7.19), so they were close on the measurables. Not saying that he is the next Jimmy, just that Wiley isn't far off, and it gives us an idea of his ceiling. His film, to me, looks a good bit better than the write up below suggests. I see a guy with upside, and I think he's future starter material for some team.

1713516844686.png

1713516871359.png

Let's talk about the underrated/unheralded draft prospects that we think are undervalued and should be rated somewhat, or much higher in the upcoming draft. Maybe they come from smaller programs. Perhaps they didn't blow it up at the combine or pro-days, or were unable to participate.

Plus, I wanted to do this for posterity to follow how my own picks pan out.

So, I'm going to name three that I've made note of thus far. Feel free to post your own. The caveat is that I don't know what's going on between their ears, so you just don't know if any of the three that I listed below have what it takes from the mental and character standpoints.

1. DT Khristian Boyd - Northern Iowa. After his Saints visit I had to check into this guy. I kept seeing this powerful 6-2, 329 lb. space eating, run stuffing, well constructed for the position manster, that can pressure the QB going from rounds 4 through 6 in mocks. To me, he's likely the 5th or 6th best DT prospect in the draft, with significant upside, despite playing against lesser competition at Northern Iowa. Very disruptive. Great balance and leverage and has a high motor. Did 38 reps with 225lbs on his pro day. He didn't run due to a hammy, but on film you can see that he is explosive and moves well for a guy his size. He had 43 solo tackles, 6.5 for loss, and 3.5 sacks in 2024. Not too shabby. The knock is his length, but yeah, same knock that was on Trey Hendrickson, right? I was impressed with the film that I was able to find on him, so he is a guy that I want to keep an eye on as I think his ceiling is... well... I'm betting that he is a starter somewhere in the NFL within a couple of seasons.

2. WR Bub Means - Pitt. 6-1. 212 lbs. 33/14 in arms, 10 1/8 in hands. Here is what I think went going unconsidered in the write up below... Pitt had TERRIBLE QB's. One could argue that had Means played in a program with better QB play would be rated a LOT higher. Most have Means rated as a late round pick and a projected backup. I think he's better than that. Good size, strong, fast, excellent large hands, and with build up speed/long speed, meaning he is even faster than his 4.43 time suggests when running the shorter 40 yd dash, I would definitely consider taking a flyer on the guy with one of the later round picks. I could see him in a WR rotation sooner than later.

1713514240338.png

1713514314100.png

3. TE Jared Wiley - TCU: 6'6, 249. Ok, perhaps not ideal as a blocker, but willing. However, as a receiver he's pretty much NFL Ready, IMO. This past season Wiley had 47 receptions for 520 yards and 8 TD's. He's a former QB that understands the position and where he needs to be to get open. He ran a 4.62-40 at the combine which is close to Jimmy Graham's 4.56, and notably both Wiley and Graham actually came in at 6'6" at the combine while Jimmy weighed in at 260 compared to Wiley's 249. Graham had a slightly better vertical (38.5 to 37.0), 10-yd split (1.58 to 1.62) and 3 cone (6.9 to 7.19), so they were close on the measurables. Not saying that he is the next Jimmy, just that Wiley isn't far off, and it gives us an idea of his ceiling. His film, to me, looks a good bit better than the write up below suggests. I see a guy with upside, and I think he's future starter material for some team.

1713516844686.png

1713516871359.png

Those are three good sleeper picks. I've drafted all three of them in various mocks I've did on the mock simulators. I didn't know much about Means, but when I was plugging in WR attributes into my spread sheet, he jumped off the page so I looked him up. Like you, I believe he'll have a better NFL career than a college career.

I listened to an interview on NFL Radio with Wiley during the combine and he really impressed me with the interview.

I've been doing a lot of research on Nickel possibilities. Two of my favorite are Florida State CB Jarrian Jones and Miami Safety James Williams. I don't guess they are sleepers but they are interesting later round options. Jones is a straight forward Corner with versatility. He played Nickel well last year for the Seminoles. Big time athlete.

James Williams checked in at a staggering 6'4", 231 lbs at the combine. He played deep Safety for the Hurricanes but a creative defensive mind could see him as a hybrid Safety/LBer. A Nickel Backer. He's not fast/quick enough to play traditional Safety but if you put him in the box he could be a handful.

Inside OL, Mason McCormick from South Dakota State. South Dakota State and NDSU out of Fargo are starting to put some quality players in the league. He should be scouted and looked at as a mid-round selection.

Braelon Allen RB- Wisconsin

Almost 6’2 and 235 lbs. All he did was produce in college and he’s only 20 years old currently. Good luck to teams trying him get him down without hip tackling. Projected for rounds 3-4

Jalen Coker WR-Holy Cross

Last edited:
Inside OL, Mason McCormick from South Dakota State. South Dakota State and NDSU out of Fargo are starting to put some quality players in the league. He should be scouted and looked at as a mid-round selection.
McCormick is on my radar as well. The man certainly helped himself at the combine. Now that John Benson has taken over for Doug Marrone I feel better about being able to coach a player like McCormick up.

1713516844686.png

1713516871359.png

Wiley is a GREAT sleeper pick. He absolutely destroyed Baylor. All the knocks I have seen from draft gurus and scouts are things that are fixable. The knocks are mostly, lack of strength for his frame and sloppy and predictable route running were the only things frequently listed. Really high Football IQ guy. Not listed in this overview but consistent in every eval I have seen on him (and consistent with the 2 or 3 games I watched him play) due has GREAT hands, Huge catch radius, and wins almost every 50/50 ball.

If this guy can end up in the slot with a nickelback or safety covering him, he will eat their lunch.

He was a multi-sport athlete in high school. Like Jimmy Graham, he was a basketball player, but he also ran track.

I'm gonna go with Devontez Walker, WR, North Carolina. He's blazing fast, 4.3 speed at 6'2". He a natural playmaker, spent a couple years at Kent State then played for North Carolina. He needs work to learn to run more routes and work short and intermediate stuff better in order to be a complete WR, but would be a great complementary WR to a team with an established #1. He kills it on the deep stuff, but historically doesn't run the full route tree. He had some growth as a WR in college so that shows he's willing to work and can potentially become a complete WR (with 4.3 speed.) He's a bubble top 100 guy and could really make some noise if he lands in the right situation.

Wiley is a GREAT sleeper pick. He absolutely destroyed Baylor. All the knocks I have seen from draft gurus and scouts are things that are fixable. The knocks are mostly, lack of strength for his frame and sloppy and predictable route running were the only things frequently listed. Really high Football IQ guy. Not listed in this overview but consistent in every eval I have seen on him (and consistent with the 2 or 3 games I watched him play) due has GREAT hands, Huge catch radius, and wins almost every 50/50 ball.

If this guy can end up in the slot with a nickelback or safety covering him, he will eat their lunch.

He was a multi-sport athlete in high school. Like Jimmy Graham, he was a basketball player, but he also ran track.

I'm gonna go with Devontez Walker, WR, North Carolina. He's blazing fast, 4.3 speed at 6'2". He a natural playmaker, spent a couple years at Kent State then played for North Carolina. He needs work to learn to run more routes and work short and intermediate stuff better in order to be a complete WR, but would be a great complementary WR to a team with an established #1. He kills it on the deep stuff, but historically doesn't run the full route tree. He had some growth as a WR in college so that shows he's willing to work and can potentially become a complete WR (with 4.3 speed.) He's a bubble top 100 guy and could really make some noise if he lands in the right situation.
Not sure if Walker is a sleeper. He’s well on team’s radar

Not sure if Walker is a sleeper. He’s well on team’s radar
I guess that depends on how you define sleeper. If you define it as "someone not widely known" then you are correct, he's not a sleeper, but if you define it as " underrated and has the potential to outperform their draft position" then I would argue he's a sleeper., but I was doing my best since Andrus already named the best one (Wiley) ;)

I guess that depends on how you define sleeper. If you define it as "someone not widely known" then you are correct, he's not a sleeper, but if you define it as " underrated and has the potential to outperform their draft position" then I would argue he's a sleeper., but I was doing my best since Andrus already named the best one (Wiley) ;)
Ok, I can see your assessment of outperforming their draft position. In that case, heck yes he’s a sleeper. Walker will be a great player for someone. He’s one of my favorite WRs in this draft.
I typically liken a sleeper to someone who will most likely be selected in the middle to later rounds. Generally the 4th rd and later, but also someone who could sneak into the 3rd.

And yes, Andrus pretty much listed the best sleepers. A few of them.

I’ve mentioned Erick All awhile back and it looks like he’s on our radar.

Last edited:
Nehemiah Pritchett CB Auburn

Brennan Jackson DE Wash St

Jaylin Simpson S Auburn

Sataoa Leumea OG Utah

Ainais Smith WR TX A&M

Logan Lee DT Iowa

Marcus Rosemy-Jacksaint WR UGA

Frank Gore Jr RB Southern Miss

I'm going to say Johnny Wilson WR Florida State. Dude is 6'6 231 with Mike Evans length arms and moves like this:

Apparently he had some drop issues at FSU, but if he can be coached up, he could be a monster.

1. Dylan Laube-RB- most mocks are showing him go in the 5th, but I think he goes in the 4th or even 3rd depending on fit. I could see the Saints trading into the 4th for him because of his positional flexibility. His floor as a rookie is to make the team as as return man.

2. Jaylin Simpson- S- Experience playing CB and multiple Safety spots, with above average coverage ability for a Safety. He screams Saints mid-late round pick to me. Needs to work on run support, but if he had that down he’d be a 1st/2nd round pick.

3. Cornelius Johnson- WR- Ridiculous contested catch %, high RAS, above average run blocker. Slated to fall to the 5th/6th round, and he may have just been underutilized on a run oriented Michigan team. Looks like a Michael Thomas clone to me.

Honorable mention:
Evan Williams- S- another safety with positional versatility and above average coverage ability for the position. He plays with some extra fire like a young Tyrann Mathieu.

Texas A&M has a couple of guards, a DT, and a receiver that all looks like NFL players but no one is talking about them.

The guy I really like for the Saints is Holker from Colorado State. Kid was awesome at the Shrine Bowl.

Similarly Isiah Adams is a mid rounds guard l like.

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: RJS

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom