Mahommes speculation is true (1 Viewer)

That mindset and his play-calling "arrogance" in making in-game decisions during games that sometimes backfired terribly were one of the very few things that constantly annoyed and bothered me about Sean over the years. Bill Parcells was right about him when he was Cowboys OC from 2003-2005, in that someone has to calm his arse down because he gets very impulsive, a bit rash and doesn't always think play calls through when he gets on a roll. "Catching the fire" IIRC was the term Parcells used to describe Payton's rash, hubris mindset that he's the smartest guy in the room and the opposing teams' players and assistants are idiot yokels incapable of stopping him.

Their were more then a few games, even playoff games, that we could've actually won if only Sean had exerted a modicum of self-control and self-discipline.

Above is exactly why we have a SB championship.....CSP was far from perfect, he was a risk taker offensively, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.....but in the big games (playoffs, etc) I prefer a risk taker....

You are ignoring that there were playoff games we likely would have lost had we had a more conservative coach....

Above is exactly why we have a SB championship.....CSP was far from perfect, he was a risk taker offensively, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.....but in the big games (playoffs, etc) I prefer a risk taker....

You are ignoring that there were playoff games we likely would have lost had we had a more conservative coach....
Agreed, but you can also be aggressive, take chances in big games offensively, but its done in a more calculated, less-dangerous sort of way like Ambush after halftime at Super Bowl 44. That was smart, risky, but more calculated and executed in such a way that it gave us a better chance to succeed.

Payton didnt always scheme risky, high percentage plays on ST's or offense in an intelligent way. I got the impression their were times he did it just because he could or he was trying to show off how more intelligent, knowledgable, and smarter he was then the opposing teams we were facing. He took and called questionable plays that werent really necessary a few times late in games. That's where my complaint of "play-calling arrogance" comes from.

If this was really the only thing I can remotely criticize Payton on as Saints HC, then its a minor set of problems compared to other NFL HC's badly mismanaging, organizing or coaching their teams in huge, post-season games. CSP, for the most part, made the right decisions for 16 seasons here in New Orleans.

Agreed, but you can also be aggressive, take chances in big games offensively, but its done in a more calculated, less-dangerous sort of way like Ambush after halftime at Super Bowl 44. That was smart, risky, but more calculated and executed in such a way that it gave us a better chance to succeed.

Nice post, especially the last paragraph.....

But, Ambush was incredibly risky.....the Colts were up 10-6 at that point.....if Ambush doesn't work then you just gave the Colts and Manning a very short field to start the half, the score a TD on that possession and the game goes much differently IMO......

If Ambush doesn't work it is very likely we don't win that game and CSP would have gotten tons of criticism over it......

So, I would venture to say that nearly all the risks that CSP took were calculated and dangerous (risk implies danger), some of them work, some of them don't....again......

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom