Mahommes speculation is true (1 Viewer)

This isn't the first time I've heard him say this... he said this when he was on Cowherd during his "hiatus", and he said it before that as well. I believe him.. doesn't matter now. Apparently he didn't want Mahomes bad enough or else he would have traded up to get him.

This isn't the first time I've heard him say this... he said this when he was on Cowherd during his "hiatus", and he said it before that as well. I believe him.. doesn't matter now. Apparently he didn't want Mahomes bad enough or else he would have traded up to get him.
Sean has told this story multiple times lol

Again, it is convenient for him to say that now, because it makes him sound like a QB guru.

But if you are Sean Payton and moving up in the draft to get your guy is your thing… and you just know that Patrick Mahomes is going to be the next GOAT… why did you not move up in the draft and get him?
Because it takes 2 to tango, and if there isn't another team willing to move down then you can't just move up because you want to.

Again, it is convenient for him to say that now, because it makes him sound like a QB guru.

But if you are Sean Payton and moving up in the draft to get your guy is your thing… and you just know that Patrick Mahomes is going to be the next GOAT… why did you not move up in the draft and get him?
His plan was perfect, he was set to take Mahomes, then out of the woodwork, KC trades up and steals him. Sean couldn't predict that. And you have to "manage" the draft, you cant just get nervous and trade up everytime

His plan was perfect, he was set to take Mahomes, then out of the woodwork, KC trades up and steals him. Sean couldn't predict that. And you have to "manage" the draft, you cant just get nervous and trade up everytime
But if Mahomes was the greatest QB prospect SP had ever seen, did he think he was the only guy who knew about him? If a player is that great then you remove all doubt. If he's the guy then you go up and get him. That's how SP always managed the draft. He was willing to move heaven and earth to get his guy. He got nervous and traded up all the time to get a player he loved. Why not do the same thing at the most important position in sports with the greatest prospect he had ever seen? Why let the draft come to you at that point? If he was that certain then by god, go get him. Take away the opportunity for someone to pick the dude literally one pick ahead of you.

Instead he happily tells the story about how he knew Mahomes was the goat and he was this close to getting him. Great story SP. Just not buying it. If you thought you could play it cool and hope the goat of QB prospects fell in your lap then that's on you. Should've known that some other coach would know he was the real deal. I guess my point is that if didn't know, then he should've.

And if Mahomes turned out to be awful at football do you think SP would be telling this story over and over? Lol, doubtful.

They would've had to trade up to 1 overall to be sure no one could take him. Because the Bears chose Trubisky (QB) at 2 overall.

Yep. Had he turned out to be a bust we would've never heard this story
We heard the story from the golfers who were there at the draft, Saints brass naturally denied or deflected it at the time.

The intention to draft Mahomes was legit. And yes, if he was a bust we would not be reminded of that intention.

Because Payton is an egomaniac and hubris is his worst fault. Don't get me wrong, I love the guy and would take him back in a heartbeat, but let's face it; Sean is always sure he's the smartest guy in the room. He thought there was no way Reid would ever jump the Saints to take him after talking him up all offseason.
That mindset and his play-calling "arrogance" in making in-game decisions during games that sometimes backfired terribly were one of the very few things that constantly annoyed and bothered me about Sean over the years. Bill Parcells was right about him when he was Cowboys OC from 2003-2005, in that someone has to calm his arse down because he gets very impulsive, a bit rash and doesn't always think play calls through when he gets on a roll. "Catching the fire" IIRC was the term Parcells used to describe Payton's rash, hubris mindset that he's the smartest guy in the room and the opposing teams' players and assistants are idiot yokels incapable of stopping him.

Their were more then a few games, even playoff games, that we could've actually won if only Sean had exerted a modicum of self-control and self-discipline.

As if you'd be saying this if he played for us. "Yea, the Superbowl wins are nice, but he's got a bad personality. And his brother? Don't get me started." Lol
I think it’s worth saying that it’s easier to root for people you like than people you don’t, no matter how good they are. Obviously you want your team to win, but it’s ok to want other things as well.

I’ve posted this several times the past few years, but we were much better off with the 2017 draft as it actually turned out than had we led off with Mahomes and let the defense continue to stink. It had stunk the previous three seasons. Only a few corrupt refs and an overall corrupt league kept us from a second championship.

Payton is getting fired if he doesn't find a QB. The NFL is a "what have you done for me lately" business.

Not to ruin the narrative :ROFLMAO:....I saw a podcast where Mahommes actually said he tipped the Chiefs off that the Saints were about to pick him. Sean Payton was definitely going to draft him.

[/many coaches have similar stories.

Sean seems to have gone bonkers since he left the SAINTS.

Daddy isn't aging well. Part of it's the angle, but he's mos def lost his Cross Fit body.

Drugs will do that to you.

I think he's been eating some Fried Rocky Mountain Oyster Po-Boys and hasn't figured out yet that they aren't oysters.

Yeah, if you think a HOF QB is the pick right before yours in the draft, you trade up to get him. His "story" keeps getting more definitive every year.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom