Know of anyone who wants to buy a better than decent telescope? (1 Viewer)

Bleu Raeder

Tasty
Staff member
Super Moderator
VIP Subscribing Member
Reaction score
I have an 8" Meade Schmidt-Cassegrain for sale. PM me.

i am looking for a less than decent one...

Umm..."better than decent?"

Hey, anyone wanna buy a better than descent car? I've got a 2015 Corvette convertible.. ;)

I wish I had the cash for a 'scope like that.

We used to love our telescope, but there’s so much light pollution, it’s no fun anymore.

At the risk of sounding old, when I was a kid, on the edge of Baton Rouge, there were stars in the sky. Hundreds. Now there’s like four.

10-15yrs ago, north of Houston, we used astro-binos on a tripod and would spend quite a bit of time in the backyard scanning the skies. However, with the MASSIVE growth in the area of housing, mega apt complexes and shopping centers, the increased lighting has more/less killed that freebie. Practically, I now see as much at my home as I did when star gazing while visiting Beijing.

Thankfully, we have access to spectacular skies in the western Hill Country where most of the time we don't even bother to bring binos or scopes since the viewing is so good. Frequently can see stars "one finger width" above the horizon and can see the Milky Way from horizon to horizon. Some of the best viewing in all of the US.

Why you getting rid of it? Did the novelty wear off?

You get a good telescope and use it a couple times, then it just sits?
I moved on to something a bit bigger (this post was 2018, I ended up donating the scope).
10-15yrs ago, north of Houston, we used astro-binos on a tripod and would spend quite a bit of time in the backyard scanning the skies. However, with the MASSIVE growth in the area of housing, mega apt complexes and shopping centers, the increased lighting has more/less killed that freebie. Practically, I now see as much at my home as I did when star gazing while visiting Beijing.

Thankfully, we have access to spectacular skies in the western Hill Country where most of the time we don't even bother to bring binos or scopes since the viewing is so good. Frequently can see stars "one finger width" above the horizon and can see the Milky Way from horizon to horizon. Some of the best viewing in all of the US.
You should try Big Bend or the Davis Mountains.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom