Klint Kubiak's First off-season interview (1 Viewer)

Basis of his offensive philosophy​

“We just want to be grounded and run the football. We want to have an identify of ‘We can run the football against 8-man fronts.’ That’s something we’re going to stress to guys early this offseason. Building our play actions, moving the pocket off of that, being a real good team on first and second down. We’re dialed in on that in Phase 1 and Phase 2.”

It's a strong transition from the previous system. The Pass was the main dish and the run game was used to support it. That type of system works well w/ a Drew Brees who can put a team on his back, but not w/ someone like Carr.

Those guys need to be the supporting cast, and the running game needs to carry majority of the load, and that's exactly what this scheme is and why it fits the current personnel more.

Carr and Rattler had one thing in common last year. Play-Calling.

Both guys suffered from play-callers who would call deep plays on 3rd and 9 and ask them to bail the entire offense out, rather than call plays in such a way that didn't their QB wasn't in 3rd and 8's or longer in most situations. Last year Carmichael would do something like call a WR screen on 2nd and 4 and then watch it go backwards for 3 yards and then put the offense right back in 3rd and 7...then call a 3rd down play with all the receivers going deep. It was atrocious.

Both players require the run the set them up for success and then they can ball off that.

Kubiaks system fits well with where we are as a team, and compliments DA and the way he wants to play defense far better.

Run heavy play action offense. Cool. Wait, we don’t have a powerful running back. Someone should’ve thought about this at some point
In theory it sounds good, but you have to have people that can make it work. Saints have tried this before. I remember it all went to sheet once Deuce got injured. Not to mention that the defense couldn't hold a lead.
Seeing as though our top WRs are Olave & Shaheed, i'm curious how they will hold up for run blocking. Do we have a blocking TE?

156 carries, 462 yards for right about 3 yards per carry. So I guess yes we do, but not very inspiring
This is where understanding what kind of backs that were successful in these systems matter in context.

McCaffrey
Mostert
Coleman
Brieda
McKinnon
Cook
Achane
Etc.

The biggest misconception is that you need a to have a big power back to be successful in this system. AK fits perfectly in this blocking scheme and the blocking will be key to the success of the running game.

Here’s to hoping they can put together a decent OL. So much of their success will be based on keeping Carr upright and actually making holes for the running game.

It’s interesting to see just how much of a complete tear down and rebuild this will be by switching schemes. Sometimes I forget how big of a transition this is and the challenge of learning all the players, coaches, and finding the best ways to teach it. Kubiak says the right stuff but the proof is in the pudding.

I am curious if they won’t bring back Peat.

Yes his quote on running against 8-man fronts scared the crap out of me
I think this means they want to run with confidence and not pass to set up the run. Run successfully even when they’re stacking the box. (8man) That’s definitely a goal, if achieved, will be the foundation of the offense.

I think this means they want to run with confidence and not pass to set up the run. Run successfully even when they’re stacking the box. (8man) That’s definitely a goal, if achieved, will be the foundation of the offense.
It makes sense if you're the 98 Falcons with Jamal Anderson, or the Titans with Derrick Henry.
Seeing as though he comes from the Shanahan tree, are we going to the 98 Broncos style of running, or the 98 Falcons?

The 49ers, the Vikings with Cook, Kubiak Sr. with Arian Foster routinely ran the ball with 8 in the box. The idea that you need a Derrick Henry or a Jamal Anderson or some kind of power runner to run the ball successfully with 8 in the box is flawed in this run blocking scheme.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom