James Hurst retires (1 Viewer)

There are a bunch of dismissive comments about Hurst, but dunno . . . He had a lot of starting time for the team and filled that Kelemete role in being able to plug in all along the line. Seems like he had a good shot at continued starting time this year and could certainly be a solid next-man-up given all of the uncertainty.

There must be some more to this story. I agree with Artifactual-- reel Peat back in.

I'm not sure there is much more to the story than that he has regressed the last two years and was terrible last year. I think the fact that he chose to retire at his age (32) tells us that he likely knew he couldn't cut it in the NFL anymore.

Really every position on the line except center could use addressing. Ruiz is serviceable at RG but that's it. Both tackles and LG are empty at the moment lol.

Enjoy retirement James.
And if you want to get really down deep, we could even use a center. We don't have a backup to practice with.

Nine total offensive linemen on the roster and one of those may not even be physically able to play.

I'm surprised we didn't just at least sign a couple veterans just to have depth, like we did at linebacker and wide receiver. At this point it's probably best that we don't; that way any top UDFA we like will flock to us.

I wondered about Peat's fit. Does Becton fit better?
He's close, 5.1 40, much better than Peat, but not the athletic type that you typically see this scheme put in that spot. Both Darrisaw (Vikings Rookie) and Trent Williams are around 6'4 315-320 with at least 34 inch arms. Darrisaw was projected to have a 4.90 40 and Williams was also in the 4.8 range. Becton seems a bit bigger/more power scheme oriented.

I don't think the Saints are as pressed about O-line as everyone wants them to be. Similar to how Paytons scheme made WR's better, this scheme makes OL better.

And if you want to get really down deep, we could even use a center. We don't have a backup to practice with.

Nine total offensive linemen on the roster and one of those may not even be physically able to play.

I'm surprised we didn't just at least sign a couple veterans just to have depth, like we did at linebacker and wide receiver. At this point it's probably best that we don't; that way any top UDFA we like will flock to us.
I think that's the most interesting part. We usually always sign a bunch of guys for competition at the very least. Especially prior to going into the draft. We either have several guys agreed and are waiting to sign after the draft or we are putting a lot of faith in our young unproven lineman. Either way, offensive line is going to be the biggest question mark going into the season.

I'm surprised we didn't just at least sign a couple veterans just to have depth, like we did at linebacker and wide receiver.

At this point it's probably best that we don't; that way any top UDFA we like will flock to us.

Good Post! All very good points made, especially the last one.

The Saints brass asked Hurst to announce this now so the fan base does not implode when they take offensive tackles back to back picks to open the draft.

So trade up on our second or third pick and have an all o-line early draft.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom