James Hurst retires (1 Viewer)

I mean, he was under contract. Seems like it would be a dumb move to tell him that just before the draft so that it looked like they had even more needs on the OL.

But, I agree it likely has no affect on who they take in the draft. They needed to upgrade from him anyway and he wasn't going to play OT except as depth.

Which means he was going to be cut and opted for retirement... He was likely a non-fit for the incoming new OC and scheme... I gotta believe that the plan is too see what we can get this weekend... then have at least 3 vets on deck with hand-shake deals in place to bring in post draft.

Which means he was going to be cut and opted for retirement... He was likely a non-fit for the incoming new OC and scheme... I gotta believe that the plan is too see what we can get this weekend... then have at least 3 vets on deck with hand-shake deals in place to bring in post draft.

Maybe. I just think it would be dumb for the team to tell him that before the draft and if they were going to do that, why not just cut him?

Either way, I don't think he fit the new scheme and I think he was pretty bad the last two years in the old scheme. He was only ever really serviceable and he wasn't that the last two years.

Maybe. I just think it would be dumb for the team to tell him that before the draft and if they were going to do that, why not just cut him?

They likely were going to... he opted to retire instead of being released / cut.

He was a valuable asset all across the line and I hope he truly enjoys his retirement.

Saints should trade up in the 3rd or 4th round and take Mason McCormick out of South Dakota St. He has a lot of upside to his play. Best of luck to Hurst on his retirement

They likely were going to... he opted to retire instead of being released / cut.

If that's the case, he must have looked around for another job and could not find any other teams interested. That's a pretty serious indictment of our OL considering last year's starting RG couldn't even get a contract as a backup with another team.

There are a bunch of dismissive comments about Hurst, but dunno . . . He had a lot of starting time for the team and filled that Kelemete role in being able to plug in all along the line. Seems like he had a good shot at continued starting time this year and could certainly be a solid next-man-up given all of the uncertainty.

There must be some more to this story. I agree with Artifactual-- reel Peat back in.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom