It's not just the Pels (1 Viewer)

Teams are blowing big leagues up and down the NBA

it happens across sports. ( think "prevent defense in football" - or up 2-0 in soccer which is considered the worst lead ) Human nature takes over. Players will never admit to "throttling back" - where focus/attention drops to 60% instead of 100%. But it happens.

The problem comes when its time to "switch back on" but momentum has swung in such a way that it just doesnt come right back on.

I play tennis. I have fallen victim to this very issue ( and actually talked about here on EE in older tennis thread ) - ill play an opponent and blank him 6-0 in first. Thinking "this guy doesnt belong on this court w/ me". Throttle down to start second set. Then the unforced errors start. Gives my opponent some confidence/thinking there is a chance. Then i start to over think. Next thing i know im down 4-2 in second set, he has all the momentum and im making more mistakes because im pressing to get the momentum back. End up losing second set because mentally i switched off and couldnt regain that fortitude back in the set.

The greats never lose that focus. Then you add the 3 ball into equation and teams can erase leads in minutes.

Shoot, last night! Atlanta got to within 13 or 14.

Trey hits a 3. They inbound, Jose steals, we score 2. They inbound, fast pace, heave a shot, miss and we transition another quick 2. Thats 7 points in under 30 seconds. Crazy.

I think thats also reason folks have issues with Willie- not calling TO when you see the wheel shaking- its like he waits til it falls off.

it happens across sports. ( think "prevent defense in football" - or up 2-0 in soccer which is considered the worst lead ) Human nature takes over. Players will never admit to "throttling back" - where focus/attention drops to 60% instead of 100%. But it happens.

The problem comes when its time to "switch back on" but momentum has swung in such a way that it just doesnt come right back on.

I play tennis. I have fallen victim to this very issue ( and actually talked about here on EE in older tennis thread ) - ill play an opponent and blank him 6-0 in first. Thinking "this guy doesnt belong on this court w/ me". Throttle down to start second set. Then the unforced errors start. Gives my opponent some confidence/thinking there is a chance. Then i start to over think. Next thing i know im down 4-2 in second set, he has all the momentum and im making more mistakes because im pressing to get the momentum back. End up losing second set because mentally i switched off and couldnt regain that fortitude back in the set.

The greats never lose that focus. Then you add the 3 ball into equation and teams can erase leads in minutes.

Shoot, last night! Atlanta got to within 13 or 14.

Trey hits a 3. They inbound, Jose steals, we score 2. They inbound, fast pace, heave a shot, miss and we transition another quick 2. Thats 7 points in under 30 seconds. Crazy.

I think thats also reason folks have issues with Willie- not calling TO when you see the wheel shaking- its like he waits til it falls off.
In the game last night I mentioned that Willie called a good TO when the momentum began to swing. Needs to do that more often

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom