Ireland: Saints won’t force pick at OT (2 Viewers)

Just like they didn't force the pick when they traded up for Davenport, or when they drafted Olave and Penning and telegraphed that for months prior to the draft........ History says otherwise.
They traded up for two of those players. Targeting and trading up for the player you like is different than reaching for a lower-rated player out of need.

Just because fans may not have agreed with the choice doesn’t mean the grade didn’t match the pick.

Last edited:
These nuggets are good indicators of how Penning is progressing. They have a 1st round OT that they haven't been able to get 1st round production from due to injury, bad o-line coaching and mishandled development.

This means we are trading up. If we don’t trade up I hope Fuaga is there.

There’s rumors that the Chargers like JC Latham at 5 or 11 if they trade down. If Alt and Fuaga are gone I wouldn’t mind picking a non tackle or trading down.

Fashanu looks stiff to me. I don’t see the athleticism everyone says he has.

Mims has injury history. Fautanu recently discovered a knee issue.

Take Brian Thomas Junior if Fuaga or Alt isn’t there!

• 1Like
Reactions: RJS
These nuggets are good indicators of how Penning is progressing. They have a 1st round OT that they haven't been able to get 1st round production from due to injury, bad o-line coaching and mishandled development.
He needs to fit on that Line somehwere, maybe even a swing Lineman like Peat has been. And I think you find serviceable guys later on, UDFA even. We NEED top take the BPA at 14 and get better, not more projects, thats for elite teams.

They traded up for two of those players. Targeting and trading up for the player you like is different than reaching for a lower-rated player out of need.

Just because fans may not have agreed with the choice doesn’t mean the grade didn’t match the pick.
They forced the picks. You knew the need, they knew the need, everyone knew the need. That’s why they got fleeced on the trades. Philly is still laughing at them.

But at what point are you reaching for an Offensive Tackle?

If either Joe Alt, Olunuyina Fashanu, Taliese Fuaga, Troy Fautanu, or JC Latham are available at #14, in my opinion, you aren't reaching. After that, Mims, Barton, and Guyton? Yeah... they might be considered reaches at pick #14.

Either way, were it me, unless a bonified can't-miss player is available at #14, I am seriously considering trading down for more early-round picks, possibly more than once. There are some Offensive Lineman that I really like that should be available at the end of the 1st, start of the 2nd rounds, and beyond... and the Saints need more than just one or two.

Having only two picks in the first 150 is brutal, and it seems to me that it won't end that way. I expect some maneuvering to go on with the Saints to increase the number of early-round picks. Whether trading down, trading players, or trading future picks, I don't think that the Saints can afford to stand pat with the situation in FA availability and the OL concerns.

Just like they didn't force the pick when they traded up for Davenport, or when they drafted Olave and Penning and telegraphed that for months prior to the draft........ History says otherwise.
For realz!!! The entire NFL world knows what we are intending to do. Basically our backs are pinned into a corner.

None of the top 5 OTs would be a reach. This class is extremely stacked at the top.

I agree but with the one caveat that if Fautanu has a degenerative knee issue, that would make him too much of a risk to take at #14. But since I can't see the medicals, I don't know if its the case or not. But Alt, Fashanu, Latham, or Fuaga would be good to great value at 14.

But at what point are you reaching for an Offensive Tackle?

If either Joe Alt, Olunuyina Fashanu, Taliese Fuaga, Troy Fautanu, or JC Latham are available at #14, in my opinion, you aren't reaching. After that, Mims, Barton, and Guyton? Yeah... they might be considered reaches at pick #14.

Either way, were it me, unless a bonified can't-miss player is available at #14, I am seriously considering trading down for more early-round picks, possibly more than once. There are some Offensive Lineman that I really like that should be available at the end of the 1st, start of the 2nd rounds, and beyond... and the Saints need more than just one or two.

Having only two picks in the first 150 is brutal, and it seems to me that it won't end that way. I expect some maneuvering to go on with the Saints to increase the number of early-round picks. Whether trading down, trading players, or trading future picks, I don't think that the Saints can afford to stand pat with the situation in FA availability and the OL concerns.

If Fautanu has degenerative knees which has been reported and discussed, he might be a reach at 14 due to medical, not talent.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom