If We Had to Take a Back in this Year's Draft, this Guy Would be My Preferred Choice (1 Viewer)

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
Texas RB Jonathon Brooks. He will probably be on the board until the fourth round.

He's the top rated back in the draft, but he's coming off an injury. He might not last until the 4th. He would however, but a good addition to the backfield. We have an aging AK, Miller and crickets.

He's the top rated back in the draft, but he's coming off an injury. He might not last until the 4th. He would however, but a good addition to the backfield. We have an aging AK, Miller and crickets.

I have seen in several articles that some teams are willing to take him in the second. However every mock draft I have done and have looked at has him going in the 3rd or 4th. I think he would have been smart to play another season at Texas, get some NIL money, and showcase his recovery and become a 1st round pick next year.

It will be interesting to see how he recovers from a torn ACL.

We have too many holes to roll the dice in the second, but if he's there at 150, I wouldn't be mad at taking a flier on him.

I don't think we have to draft one. But I wouldn't mind getting one that could replace Jamaal Williams in the 5th round or later.

With the devaluation of the position, there should still be some pretty good RB’s in the 3rd-5th rounds.

I’d like to grab Jaylen Wright, Kendal Milton, or Marshawn Loyd but we’d probably have to trade up some.

Will Shipley(if there)
Marshawn Lloyd(if there)
Dylan Laube
Issac Gurendo
Tyrone Tracy Jr
Isaiah Davis
Cody Schrader
Jase McClellan
Frank Gore Jr

There’s a bunch of good ones day 3

We have an aging AK, Miller and crickets.

A pretty spot-on assessment of the current Saints RB room.

AK41 is aging but still talented and may have a few more good years left here if the Kubiak system and blocking schemes are effective.

Miller entered last season coming off of a major knee injury, had a slow start, was gimpy most of the year, and then looked the part the last game.

Williams looked like he was running in sand last year and couldn't make anyone miss. He could be a candidate to be cut or thrown in as part of a trade.

Hill may see a few snaps at the traditional RB position in the Kubiak system. We'll have to wait and see if that happens or not.

And yes, after that, crickets.

The Saints need another young RB or two in the mix and at least one that has the speed to get to the edge and the ability to be a threat in the passing game.

I like Brooks. I like Blake Corum. But for the price, if we have fifth-round picks left by then, I'd like to see us draft Dylan Laube and Luke McCaffrey if they're still available.
I agree with Corum as well---if he is available on day 3 grab him---can't have enough good RBs

Brooks's screengame is sick. He is not Bijan, but he's not far from him as a playmaker.

Texas RB Jonathon Brooks. He will probably be on the board until the fourth round.

Man, Steve Sarkisian can dial up plays to get guys in space and Brooks took full advantage. Hope he returns from the injury the same guy because he’s fun to watch. I don’t think he’ll last to the 4th round.

A pretty spot-on assessment of the current Saints RB room.

AK41 is aging but still talented and may have a few more good years left here if the Kubiak system and blocking schemes are effective.

Miller entered last season coming off of a major knee injury, had a slow start, was gimpy most of the year, and then looked the part the last game.

Williams looked like he was running in sand last year and couldn't make anyone miss. He could be a candidate to be cut or thrown in as part of a trade.

Hill may see a few snaps at the traditional RB position in the Kubiak system. We'll have to wait and see if that happens or not.

And yes, after that, crickets.

The Saints need another young RB or two in the mix and at least one that has the speed to get to the edge and the ability to be a threat in the passing game.
We have Jordan Mims on the practice Squad. He was an UDFA signing at buffalo's camp, played well in preseason, but then got a concussion, didn't make the final roster. We signed him for depth and special teams. When Williams came back from injury we waived him. When no one picked him up we signed him to the practice squad.

He's a slashy, quick and shifty kinda back, 5'10" 200 lbs, tough but not over-powering, 4.6 speed isn't a breakaway kinda back, but has good vision and patience and catches well and is a great screen runner. He played college ball at Fresno State, where he holds a couple of Team all time records and is in the top 5 some mountain west division records. His QB in college was Jake Haener. If Jake has been working hard to learn the offense, I would bet Mims is too.

Perhaps we think we can grow a role for him in the offense with Kubiak.

Last edited:
The Saints need some youth and depth in the RB room. The RB I'd love to see the Saints grab if he lasts until the 5th or later rounds would be Isaac Guerendo. This guy has incredible measurables at 6' 1" and 225 pounds he ran the 40 at a mind boggling 4.33 seconds. That's crazy for somebody that size. He's an ascending player who was injured early in his college career with most of his playing coming the past 2 years. He averaged over 6 yards per carry the past two years. He's a former WR who has shown he can catch out of the backfield. He's a former track guy. Will need to learn to run a bit lower with better pad level. With his speed he should be able to press the edge and find the cutback lanes in the Kubiak system. He would immediately be the fastest RB on the Saints roster and similar in size if not a bit bigger than Miller and Williams. He has the potential to be an every down back. Lots of upside.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom