Draft prospect: Zach Edey, C, Purdue (1 Viewer)

I doubt we would be able to move up to get Missi or Clingan, but Ware might be achievable without giving up too much and he has shown a limited ability to hit 3s (low attempts, but good percentage)

Welp... we always got those Two 1st round picks in both 26' and 27' too! LOL

You get what I mean...

It's doable, it just has to be done.... the only reason not to is if you are okay with the status quo of "just good enough, but never great".

30 years ago? Yes.

Today? No thanks. Way to stiff and would clog the lane.

Welp... we always got those Two 1st round picks in both 26' and 27' too! LOL

You get what I mean...

It's doable, it just has to be done.... the only reason not to is if you are okay with the status quo of "just good enough, but never great".
Unfortunately I might be difficult to get a 5 that fits the bill in this draft with how weak it is.

Pels have 5 first round picks between the 2024 and 2025 drafts... What are we...? NBA Thanos?

Why are we hoarding infinity 1st rounders when we have a team on the cusp of top 4 seed talent? And 2 potential "max players"?

Use the damn picks to make a move to "find one".

It's only 3 first rounders in 2024 and 2025 with the highly unlikely possibility of Pelicans getting Milwaukee's first rounder in 2025 (MIL's 2025 1st round pick to NOP protected for selections 5-30 or to NYK protected for selections 1-4). Furthermore you can't count the potential pick swap with Milwaukee this year as a first rounder (looking unlikely it will happen at that) lol.

I would take him if we somehow landed a 2nd round pick, but he makes me think of Drew Timme, Matt Garza, and so many other great college bigs who just couldn’t translate to the NBA. You can’t teach size, but it’s equally hard to teach athleticism.

I would take him if we somehow landed a 2nd round pick, but he makes me think of Drew Timme, Matt Garza, and so many other great college bigs who just couldn’t translate to the NBA. You can’t teach size, but it’s equally hard to teach athleticism.
I certainly wouldn't expect him to be our primary center. I am just saying that given how weak this draft is, he will likely go in the first

I certainly wouldn't expect him to be our primary center. I am just saying that given how weak this draft is, he will likely go in the first
And I wouldn’t be upset if we took him. I like the guy and want to see him prove the doubters wrong, and have a nice long career.

I was telling Ms. Caliente the other night that it is crazy how pro basketball works. Both Edy and the center from UConn are 7’2+, however neither guy is a highly coveted draft prospect in today’s NBA. It used to be height was all you needed, however now, if a center cant move quickly, or shoot > 15 ft from the basket, then he is considered useless in today’s NBA. 15-20 years ago that wasn’t the case.

And I wouldn’t be upset if we took him. I like the guy and want to see him prove the doubters wrong, and have a nice long career.

I was telling Ms. Caliente the other night that it is crazy how pro basketball works. Both Edy and the center from UConn are 7’2+, however neither guy is a highly coveted draft prospect in today’s NBA. It used to be height was all you needed, however now, if a center cant move quickly, or shoot > 15 ft from the basket, then he is considered useless in today’s NBA. 15-20 years ago that wasn’t the case.
I wouldn't say useless....just means they will be a bench/matchup player

While the offensive fit wouldn't be good, I think we would end up with the best defense in the NBA. We would play a lot of zone....between the length of our perimeter defenders and having a 7'2" beast rim protector, we would cause nightmares for opposing offenses

While the offensive fit wouldn't be good, I think we would end up with the best defense in the NBA. We would play a lot of zone....between the length of our perimeter defenders and having a 7'2" beast rim protector, we would cause nightmares for opposing offenses
The problem I see with Edy is he loved to live in the paint, and not in a “well that can be offset with zone defense” sort of way. He literally lived under the basket, and the refs never called 3 seconds on him. I don’t think refs call 3 second violations in the NBA, but if they do, he could be one a major liability.

At the end of the day, I would just trade the draft assets we have and sure up the roster with a vet. This teams window keeps opening and shutting with every Zion and BI injury, to the point that it’s causing a draft.

The problem I see with Edy is he loved to live in the paint, and not in a “well that can be offset with zone defense” sort of way. He literally lived under the basket, and the refs never called 3 seconds on him. I don’t think refs call 3 second violations in the NBA, but if they do, he could be one a major liability.

At the end of the day, I would just trade the draft assets we have and sure up the roster with a vet. This teams window keeps opening and shutting with every Zion and BI injury, to the point that it’s causing a draft.
Regardless, I would target Ware before Edey

Looking at some mock drafts
We draft Isaiah Collier (guard) and Kel'el Ware (c) at 18 and 19. That would be a damned good draft. They have Filipowski going at 14 so if the team was really sold on him over Ware, it would be possible to move up if the draft shakes out like this

This one has us drafting Dalton Knecht at 14 and Edey at 22. I don't lend much credence to this draft. Knecht would be a good pick, but they have Filipowski available at 14 and Ware is still available at 22. If they had us getting Knecht and Ware I would like it.

This one has Filipowski and Ware going early. We get Isaiah Collier and Tidjane Silaun. Not that wild about a draft where we don't get a center at all

I don't see how we would take a 6'3" defensive guard with Filipowski available

Edey is 7'4. His jersey number looks comically small on him.

The Pels already have offensive spacing issues though, and we are lucky if JV even gets 20 minutes a night lately. He had 4 whole minutes against the Suns. They are phasing these guys out unless they are athletic or switchable. We do need a center though, but in a completely different mold.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom