Draft prospect: Zach Edey, C, Purdue (1 Viewer)

Draft this dude. Big, plays BIG, can score, blocks shots, protects the rim, rebounds, etc. Has hook shot.
I'd take a flyer on him late in the first.
There are a lot of questions around him being able to play in the NBA but at the very least he'd be a great bench/match up player

I've seen a few mocks to us. He'd be a bit of a reach at 22, which is weird to say for a 3-time national player of the year. I'd rather get an immediate impact more athletic big.

Last edited:
Still want to see what EJ Lidell can do. He's like Larry but with scoring ability and a better shot blocker. Had a nice 35 and 8 game in the g-league in early March,

I’ve only seen Edey play once — vs Tennessee on Easter Sunday. Gave me Tim Duncan vibes. It made me wonder “If you time-traveled 1998 Tim Duncan to the 2024 NBA, would he have a role?”

I only watched a moment of last night, but it seemed like the UConn center was neutralizing him. I thought before the game he’s a half step slow on D, but would dominate smaller defenders a la JV at the next level. Worthy of a late first in the right situation.

I only watched a moment of last night, but it seemed like the UConn center was neutralizing him. I thought before the game he’s a half step slow on D, but would dominate smaller defenders a la JV at the next level. Worthy of a late first in the right situation.
That's pretty much what I think. It's a weak draft so if we can grab him late in the first, go a ahead and see if Vinson can turn him into any kind of a shooter

For the record, he had 37 points, 10 rebounds, and 2 blocks. He literally had over half of his team's points while going 15/25 fg and 7/10 ft

Unlike a lot of players his size, he is a pretty good FT shooter so there is some evidence that he could develop a midrange game at the least

Another Big useless Old School 5 that can't switch or shoot 3s.... Hard pass... Unless we are talking 2nd round flyer as a potential rotational guy to replace Zeller.

Another Big useless Old School 5 that can't switch or shoot 3s.... Hard pass... Unless we are talking 2nd round flyer as a potential rotational guy to replace Zeller.
This is going to be a weak draft....he is definitely a first round talent this year

It's not like there are Wemby's growing on trees. Don't we have a team full of non-traditional players like 3 long wing players and 1 positionless player. How does the team do in a traditional game? I'm not saying Edey is the answer, but having a durable, athletic big who can affect shots with traditional offensive skilsl isn't necessarliy a bad thing. Maybe replacing Zeller is just where he needs to be until he develops. He hasn't been playing basketball for that long so he still has some development ahead of him

It's not like there are Wemby's growing on trees. Don't we have a team full of non-traditional players like 3 long wing players and 1 positionless player. How does the team do in a traditional game? I'm not saying Edey is the answer, but having a durable, athletic big who can affect shots with traditional offensive skilsl isn't necessarliy a bad thing. Maybe replacing Zeller is just where he needs to be until he develops. He hasn't been playing basketball for that long so he still has some development ahead of him

Some team will over draft him... Likely in the 1st round... I wouldn't touch him or any player like him until the 2nd round, and I would consider him a 10min a game type of guy max going forward.... with no starting upside.

I've made it clear... I don't see a (starting / big mins) place in the NBA going forward for traditional 5-men with slow feet, no 3pt shot, and no ability to switch 1-5... They have been phased out by long and versatile wing players that are 6-7 or 6-9 and can shoot 38% or better from 3....

I'm not talking about the next Wemby, or Joker, or Greek Freak... I've said it before you are looking for the next sort of - Lauri Markkanen, Myles Turner, Naz Reid, Pascal Siakam... or if you're super lucky.... a Jaren Jackson Jr or KAT. These guys are your modern 5s / 4s hybrids that are going to be your new "starting 5"

Last edited:
I'm not talking about the next Wemby, or Joker, or Greek Freak... I've said it before you are looking for the next sort of - Lauri Markkanen, Myles Turner, Naz Reid, Pascal Siakam... or if you're super lucky.... a Jaren Jackson Jr or KAT. These guys are your modern 5s /4s hybrids that are going to be your new "starting 5"
Where you gonna find one?

Where you gonna find one?

Pels have 5 first round picks between the 2024 and 2025 drafts... What are we...? NBA Thanos?

Why are we hoarding infinity 1st rounders when we have a team on the cusp of top 4 seed talent? And 2 potential "max players"?

Use the damn picks to make a move to "find one".

Last edited:
Pels have 5 first round picks between the 2024 and 2025 drafts... What are we...? NBA Thanos?

Why are we hoarding infinity 1st rounders when we have a team on the cusp of top 4 seed talent? And 2 potential "max players"?

Use the damn picks to make a move to "find one".

I doubt we would be able to move up to get Missi or Clingan, but Ware might be achievable without giving up too much and he has shown a limited ability to hit 3s (low attempts, but good percentage)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom