Computer question (1 Viewer)

SuperSaint

Trek expert & WoW junkie
Reaction score
I have a custom computer that was built for me several years ago.

It sat idle for a few years with no power going to it.

Here's my issue, about 3 weeks ago, I lost another computer to a lightning hit and the other computer in question was on the same circuit.

Now, it turns on but there's no signal.

What are the chances that it simply lost it's memory after the CMOS battery drained, and not power surge damage?

Also, I'm looking for a computer repair shop in the Monroe/Ruston area.

Check your ram sticks. Sometimes ram can cause a "no signal" even though the computer turns on. Move the ram to different slots if its a 4 slot motherboard. Also, does your CPU have an integrated graphics output? You could also check to see if its not a graphics card issue. If your CPU has an IGPU, you can check that by plugging in your display to the motherboard IGPU and see if you get a picture. CMOS batteries are easy and cheap to replace, can just go to a store and buy those.

could be the monitor that fried? Or by "no signal" do you mean that text is being displayed on the monitor? could be the video card fried. Or might simply be the cable going from the video card to the monitor. Theres a lot to troubleshoot

if you get a menu on the monitor with no video attached the monitor is probably good

you can loose the video on a motherboard and will cause even add on video cards not to woirk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom