Charlotte Hornets(8-29) @ New Orleans Pelicans(24-7) at 7pm. Flock up! (1 Viewer)

Because I watch him play and whenever he’s in the game our offense tends to slow down, and our defense suffers because he can’t move well enough. We need an upgrade at the 5 if we are going to contend. The numbers mean little to me because he just doesn’t fit well with what will allow this roster to be a consistent contender. It’s even easier to see how much he doesn’t fit when Larry replaces him. Nothing personal. He’s on the last year of his deal. He’s likely gone next year anyway. Make the upgrade.

Why is everyone so ready to get rid of JV?

We are one of the best defensive teams in the NBA and he is a part of that regardless of what your opinion of him. Plus he is a very efficient double-double machine, is a good FT shooter, knocking down 38% from 3 this year, averaging just over a block a game, and has a 2:1 assist to TO ratio

We have also been a top 5 offense since we were 4-6 so how much room do we have to get better? There are only so many possessions in a game and we are already a top offense in efficiency. Plus JV is hitting better from 3 than Vucevic has in 3 years (although JV doesn't take as many)

Vucevic also has a worse assist:TO ratio and has averaged less than a block a game for the past 7 years. JV didn't fit in previous offensive schemes, but he is fitting in this one. A net gain of 1 rebound and a couple points (at best) is not worth the risk to our team chemistry. JV is a forking warrior....he fights harder than anybody on our squad for rebounds and you won't replace his toughness and determination easily. He is the most physical player we have and this team needs someone like that
I don't understand it at all, because there is literally no other options to fall back too. Some people are so enamored by the rim protection and pace when we lose more often by perimeter defense. It's not like offense can go much faster with Zion anyways

Because I watch him play and whenever he’s in the game our offense tends to slow down, and our defense suffers because he can’t move well enough.
The same is true about Zion but he's supposed to be a Superstar while JV is a role guy that, on most nights, plays his role just fine. We should be demanding more out of Z! If Z was a 30/8/8 guy, I believe your JV beef wouldn't be a thing.

The same is true about Zion but he's supposed to be a Superstar while JV is a role guy that, on most nights, plays his role just fine. We should be demanding more out of Z! If Z was a 30/8/8 guy, I believe your JV beef wouldn't be a thing.

Those guys are not comparable (not that I disagree with you about Zion needing to do more).... Zion "can run" and "can be that 30/8/8 guy" and "can move well and defend" and is young.... and is on a max deal.... He just needs to be in shape and be more consistent. JV is none of those things and will never be those things and is on an expiring contract.

Look, if there was a way to keep JV coming off the bench this season (because he's gone next season) and get better via trade at the 5 in the process this year... I'd be all for it... there isn't.

Oh, and FWIW... My opinion on this and this discussion is more than likely moot.... because I don't think they will actually make any trades to get better before the deadline... I think they will stand pat or make some lateral trade that doesn't move the needle (much they did with Josh Richardson).

Last edited:
Or wait another season for Jalen Duren to come available and hope Detroit doesn't ruin his development.

Best option for a 5 will be developing one in the draft, unfortunately

Yeah it sucks the Hayes experiment failed, but I won't be surprised if that's what we target in the next draft. Then again, I'm in the group of it is more of a luxury than a necessity. He's not perfect, but I think JV is capable enough.

Best option for a 5 will be developing one in the draft, unfortunately

Yay... Just in time to break up the 3 of BI, Z, and CJ.... What's the point? You have a roster to compete for a title now with a better 5.... You have 7 first rounds picks between 2024 and 2026.... Seriously???? Why wait? Make a deal.

Yay... Just in time to break up the 3 of BI, Z, and CJ.... What's the point? You have a roster to compete for a title now with a better 5.... You have 7 first rounds picks between 2024 and 2026.... Seriously???? Why wait? Make a deal.
Because all the deals suck for a worse all-around player.

If Ayton, Lauri Markkanen,Jarrett Allen, and Embiid was available. I sure would get on the phone, but they aren't.

The only thing Zion needs to do is improve his FT%. This offense calls for the ball to move...not for one man to be a superstar. Zion has been doing a good job of finding open guys when he gets double or triple teamed which is what we want him to do instead of forcing it in leading to more turnovers or lower efficiency.

As far as his assists go, he has been averaging about 6 a game since we were 4-6. You have to remember that there are two parts to an assist....the guy on the other end has to knock down the shot.

Agree to disagree? Like I said it's probably moot because I have no faith that we'll make a move before the deadline anyway....

That said, when we end up the 6th seed and get bounced in the 1st round because we didn't make the move to send JV to the bench/trade... and someone else gets Vuc... we'll revisit this.

PS.... I also like Zach Collins (SAS)

Agree to disagree? Like I said it's probably moot because I have no faith that we'll make a move before the deadline anyway....

That said, when we end up the 6th seed and get bounced in the 1st round because we didn't make the move to send JV to the bench/trade... and someone else gets Vuc... we'll revisit this.

PS.... I also like Zach Collins (SAS)
What do we get when we advance?

You have to remember that there are two parts to an assist....the guy on the other end has to knock down the shot.

And the game we had nearly 40 assists, the ball was moving around AND others were knocking down shots. Makes me think of the game last night when BI passed the ball to Naji in the corner for an open-ish 3. Instead, he drives to the basket and missed and I think a lot were thinking... GET THIS MAN HIS 10th ASSIST!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom