Buying a car in this economy (1 Viewer)

a lot of people pay close to 100k on a large truck, then complain about gas prices.. dude, your note is $1500/m, if you can't afford to put $25 more worth of gas on your truck, then you are just a big ol idiot..
And how many of those people actually NEED a large truck? Probably a small fraction of them.

a lot of people pay close to 100k on a large truck, then complain about gas prices.. dude, your note is $1500/m, if you can't afford to put $25 more worth of gas on your truck, then you are just a big ol idiot..
Those folks also seem unable to accelerate with stomping it to the floor, which makes the fuel economy even worse. So they paid 80K+ for anew truck = likely 1000/month on the note. Figure in gas and ins and they're 1400 or so per month in vehicle expenses. That's more than my mortgage, car payment, insurance, and gas all together, and yet these people are the first ones to complain about inflation.

If you want to control inflation then stop buying **** you don't need with money you don't have.

Last edited:
One of the women that work for me, she got married about a year ago, she makes 24/hr. Her husband makes proably 200k a year. So first thing she did was go buy a new big ol truck. 110k. She traded in her other truck that was paid off and got like 20k-25k for it. so she financed like 85k. her note is pretty much 2 of her paychecks. if they split up there is no way she can keep that truck. And yes, she is one that always complains about gas prices.

One of the women that work for me, she got married about a year ago, she makes 24/hr. Her husband makes proably 200k a year. So first thing she did was go buy a new big ol truck. 110k. She traded in her other truck that was paid off and got like 20k-25k for it. so she financed like 85k. her note is pretty much 2 of her paychecks. if they split up there is no way she can keep that truck. And yes, she is one that always complains about gas prices.
I can only dream of making 200k, lol. Even program managers don't make that much where I work. Basically you'd have to be an executive. That's public sector pay I guess.

I can only dream of making 200k, lol. Even program managers don't make that much where I work. Basically you'd have to be an executive. That's public sector pay I guess.
It all depends on your industry. I blew way past $200K a few years back.
But I also live just outside Boulder, CO. So there is a cost of living factor.

same with me, but he's some kind of upper management guys for like Turner or Excel or one of those contractor companies.. But the Chemical/refinery business is lucrative..
Just the operators and mechanics here make $45/hr. not to memtion pretty much any overtime they want. if only i was mechanically inclined... with OT these guys are way over 100k a year. and those are just the guys on their tools.

Last edited:
As a teacher in Louisiana, that is an imaginary number to me. :hihi:
The teaching profession in general isn’t given its due in compensation. Considering how poorly Louisiana is ranked in education, I don’t even want to think how bad the pay is. Heck, even in Colorado, teacher pay is a joke. Everyone talks about improving education but no one is actually willing to put their money where their mouth is.

I really wish EVERY single teach in the country would just walk off the job. That might be the only way to really shock everyone into taking action.

The teaching profession in general isn’t given its due in compensation. Considering how poorly Louisiana is ranked in education, I don’t even want to think how bad the pay is. Heck, even in Colorado, teacher pay is a joke. Everyone talks about improving education but no one is actually willing to put their money where their mouth is.

I really wish EVERY single teach in the country would just walk off the job. That might be the only way to really shock everyone into taking action.
Agree 100%.

I guess this is the part where i have to be the guy to remind everyone that it truly isnt about how much money one makes, but how much you spend, what ur expenses are… I have personally known folks making $350 or $400k who constantly poor-mouth and legitimately *feel* broke because they are spending SO much god**** money … i cant relate but i know it happens .

It all depends on your industry. I blew way past $200K a few years back.
But I also live just outside Boulder, CO. So there is a cost of living factor.
Yeah, I live in Fairfax County near DC. Cost of living here is nuts too. My issue is I started my current career so late after 20 years of working as a minister. It's like my work experience there didn't count. Meh.

Considering my overall work experience and what I do, I legitimately should be making twice as much.

I guess this is the part where i have to be the guy to remind everyone that it truly isnt about how much money one makes, but how much you spend, what ur expenses are… I have personally known folks making $350 or $400k who constantly poor-mouth and legitimately *feel* broke because they are spending SO much god**** money … i cant relate but i know it happens .

it happens more than you think.

And i had read an article not long ago about current retirees who were surveyed and one of the questions was "spending on children" and the response was about 60% of those polled, said they spend a portion of retirement on children.

Lets be clear- ADULT children.

We have many acquaintances that have kids in private school, but they dont pay tuition, their parents ( kids grandparent ) pay for it. I have a close friend that is a builder and routinely does outdoor living areas/pools that are paid for by the clients parent(s). No joke.

Not sure if any of the above anecdotal posts have children, but if they dont, enjoy that $$$ now. Kids are !@$@#$@#$@# expensive. From clothing to necessities. My 15 yr old starts driving school this summer, and thinks upon obtaining permit she will be rolling around in a Jeep.

Imagine the belly laugh i had. I explained to her, just like your sister before you, 17. And you will pay HALF of whatever vehicle you settle on. If that is a Jeep, then i suggest you look for a full time job for the next 2 summers and save every penny you get. Then be prepared to cut mom and dad a check for insurance each month.

Dont get me wrong, i live to spend $$$ on my two girls. I do. But there is a limit and while they, at times, dont like it, they will thank me later for it ( when they have kids of their own ). We are open about finances in the home. I want my girls to fully grasp what finances, credit, cost of living etc are all about NOW so that they can apply this once off on their own, career starting, family starting etc and can make sound financial decisions.

MY oldest is talking about getting an apartment her Junior year. She came home talking about "found one for $1200" - ok cool. Now, how many hours you gotta work making $17/hr to afford that? Gas. Insurance. Utilities. Disposable income ? ( or are you gonna sit home every night, wear same clothes every day ) It stops her in her tracks. And im not telling her all this to pop her fantasy, im telling her all this because its REAL LIFE. At some point, the training wheels come off and you need to be fully equipped to handle the pressures of keeping up with others. Because that is real too.

It took me 30 years to arrive at this point of what i earn. I explain to both my girls that yall just lucky with timing. Had you been 15 and 20 in this home 15 years ago, things would look quite different. lol.

I cycle thru the "dream car" fever episodes to "back to reality" around every 8-12 months. Currently well into "reality" mode with May being tuition month, having just vacationed in CO in Feb, Disney in March and summer beach trip on tap. LOL. Like i tell the fam...these trips dont pay for themselves...dads going to work. Enjoy yalls day lol.

having just vacationed in CO in Feb, Disney in March and summer beach trip on tap. LOL. Like i tell the fam...these trips dont pay for themselves...dads going to work. Enjoy yalls day lol.

Dont forget to remind them that all those trips to Switzerland, and Dad’s high-end tennis shoe and racquet collections- dont just pay for themselves ! :hihi:

the woman i am talkng about is a good example. He husband makes that much money, but a few months ago she was buying a small used camper for like 3k to put their golf cart in wile they were camping. She was telling me she had to get a loan to buy it.. smh...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom