Buying a car in this economy (1 Viewer)

Dont forget to remind them that all those trips to Switzerland, and Dad’s high-end tennis shoe and racquet collections- dont just pay for themselves ! :hihi:

LOL

I got both my racquets USED at Second Serve lol. I wasnt spending $200 per racquet on a sport that i play casually now ( Francos lost their tennis program when Ray and Walker (the tennis pros ) left - most of the tennis players there went to Stonecreek or PAC so now i just play when called - no more USTA for me ) I cant spend $200/mo at Stonecreek just to play tennis and PAC is 20 min from me and im too lazy to drive - im hoping Coquille will put something together soon and i can join/play out of there for USTA.

we will see.

and my shoe game...my youngest has inherited this trait. MY game has fallen off and replaced by her. Effn HOKA and Free People.

Last edited:
It all depends on your industry. I blew way past $200K a few years back.
But I also live just outside Boulder, CO. So there is a cost of living factor.
Hope you get part of the new licensing too :hihi:

cries in having to move to hyper-v

Those folks also seen unable to accelerate with stomping it to the floor, which makes the fuel economy even worse. So they paid 80K+ for anew truck = likely 1000/month on the note. Figure in gas and ins and they're 1400 or so per month in vehicle expenses. That's more than my mortgage, car payment, insurance, and gas all together, and yet these people are the first ones to complain about inflation.

If you want to control inflation then stop buying **** you don't need with money you don't have.
That is the ONLY perk of fuel being sky high in CA. It keeps many people who don't actually need and/or can't afford trucks from buying them. The majority of folks driving large pickups here, usually use them for work.

Plus parking spaces are tiny. I have a mid-sized sedan and many of them I can barely fit into. It's annoying but I get it. As much as Americans bch and complain about freedom and whatever, we really need to move away from car-based society in cities. It's just not sustainable with infrastructure nor is it good for the environment.

I hate driving. It would be nice to not have to deal with traffic, red lights every 50', idiots, finding parking, etc. and just the overall stress of it. The most pleasant way to get to LA from SD is on the train in business class. Super relaxing with great views at several points without hitting the brakes every 15 seconds for 3+ hours like you would in a car.

As much as Americans bch and complain about freedom and whatever, we really need to move away from car-based society in cities. It's just not sustainable with infrastructure nor is it good for the environment.

I hate driving. It would be nice to not have to deal with traffic, red lights every 50', idiots, finding parking, etc. and just the overall stress of it. The most pleasant way to get to LA from SD is on the train in business class. Super relaxing with great views at several points without hitting the brakes every 15 seconds for 3+ hours like you would in a car.

we soooooo missed the boat on this mode of transport in the US.

Hope you get part of the new licensing too :hihi:

cries in having to move to hyper-v
Fortunately my division is being spun off. Hopefully, we won't be part of Broadcom by June 1st.

Also, keep your eyes open for new licensing changes. I think Hock is starting to realize he bit off more than he should have.

For the prices of a new F-150, seems like you'd be way better off just getting the old one serviced / rebuilt.
Which is what we did. We bought this used several years ago. Got it real cheap. Threw some money at it. Got it running well. We just use it for short trips around town. Have a newer f-150 that we rely on for longer trips.

It used to be that buying a car 3-4 years old was the smart thing to do - no premium for the new car smell but still pretty and dependable. That's what the Car Talk guys and Dave Ramsey all said to do.

But when shopping 3 years ago the market was quite the opposite. No discount for slightly used cars, so we just bought new.

Now we need one ("we" means the one of us with expensive tastes). Where is the sweet spot these days in terms of age?

I need to know for religious reasons.

Thanks...

It used to be that buying a car 3-4 years old was the smart thing to do - no premium for the new car smell but still pretty and dependable. That's what the Car Talk guys and Dave Ramsey all said to do.

But when shopping 3 years ago the market was quite the opposite. No discount for slightly used cars, so we just bought new.

Now we need one ("we" means the one of us with expensive tastes). Where is the sweet spot these days in terms of age?

I need to know for religious reasons.

Thanks...

Good point.. all my life, ive heard the old adage that if you buy a vehicle brand new- it loses approx 20%-30% of its value as soon as you drive it off of the lot…. So now, i guess that adage is just completely false.. a lie.. . i wonder, in 2024, how much the average vehicle depreciates as soon as its tires hit the street outside of the dealer .. Maybe 5% ? Maybe not at all ?? What a world .

in 2022 i bought a 2020 Ford Edge for 26k(with 40k miles) the 2022s were about 39k. . i think you can find good deals on slightly used, but it requires a lot of looking. we bought it off Carvana. was weary of buying one without test driving it first, but i will say I'm pleased. o was just glad i didn't have to deal with any salesman..

According to Consumer Reports, the average new vehicle in the USA costs just north of 48k. According to my own quick search the average interest rate is 6-7 percent. Good lord…

in 2022 i bought a 2020 Ford Edge for 26k(with 40k miles) the 2022s were about 39k. . i think you can find good deals on slightly used, but it requires a lot of looking. we bought it off Carvana. was weary of buying one without test driving it first, but i will say I'm pleased. o was just glad i didn't have to deal with any salesman..
I bought my 2018 Mazda 3 from Carmax for the same reason— no salesman. It had 40k miles and was 22k out the door.

It’s been a good car and I’m hoping to drive it for quite a few years yet.

I bought my 2018 Mazda 3 from Carmax for the same reason— no salesman. It had 40k miles and was 22k out the door.

It’s been a good car and I’m hoping to drive it for quite a few years yet.
i actually bought 2 cars from Carvana. The first one was a Dodge Journey. We had it for 3 days and someone slammed into the back of us on the BR Mississippi river bridge and totaled it out.

we recently bought a 24 Subaru Crosstrek...we were looking to buy a 20ish model with low miles but they sell quickly so we couldn't find one we liked....the brand new one ended up costing just a couple grand more than a used one so we just went with that

and it's a great car....no regerts

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom