90% of Americans believe at least one conspiracy theory (1 Viewer)

I don't know if this counts as a tin foil hat conspiracy theory but I believe it

I believe that a certain percentage of speed camera tickets are BS

You don't get the ticket in the mail for 3 or 4 weeks (or longer), there is a picture of your car and your listed speed is plausible not outrageous

You know damn well you weren't going 80 MPH in a 40, but 52 mph? That's possible but you certainly don't remember it and there's no way to prove that you weren't past the limit

I once got a ticket saying I was going over 60 in Washington DC at like 8:30am. It's not even possible to go that fast on that street at that time of day

Basically, I was told "tough shirt, that's what the camera says, that's the price you have to pay"

In the same vein, when red light cameras first became a thing I know for a fact that the duration of yellow at some lights were shortened

Last edited:
I don't know if this counts as a tin foil hat conspiracy theory but I believe it

You don't get the ticket in the mail for 3 or 4 weeks, there is a picture of your car and the speed is plausible not outrageous

You know damn well you weren't going 80 MPH in a 40, but 52 mph? That's possible

I once got a ticket saying I was going over 60 in Washington DC at like 8:30am. It's not even possible to go that fast on that street at that time of day

Basically, I was told "tough shirt, that's what the camera says, that's the price you have to pay"

In the same vein, when red light cameras first became a thing I know for a fact that the duration of yellow at some lights were shortened

When I lived in DC, there was a camera set up on Michigan Ave right next to the apartments I lived in right down the street from the National basilica. This thing wasn't on a giant pole or anything. It was basically steel box that was about 5 to 6 feet tall. Tall enough that you could obscure it fairly easily. And so it would be obscured by "citizens" from time to time. I wonder if it's still there.

You don't get the ticket in the mail for 3 or 4 weeks (or longer), there is a picture of your car and the your listed speed is plausible not outrageous

You know damn well you weren't going 80 MPH in a 40, but 52 mph? That's possible

It's absolutely a racket. I'll never understand how they are legal.

When I lived in DC, there was a camera set up on Michigan Ave right next to the apartments I lived in right down the street from the National basilica. This thing wasn't on a giant pole or anything. It was basically steel box that was about 5 to 6 feet tall. Tall enough that you could obscure it fairly easily. And so it would be obscured by "citizens" from time to time. I wonder if it's still there.
remember articles about people blocking or damaging the cameras

You don't get the ticket in the mail for 3 or 4 weeks (or longer), there is a picture of your car and the your listed speed is plausible not outrageous

Those cameras are just a way for local governments to tax people, mostly people who don't live in that town. They are no different than small towns that have speed traps with quickly reducing speeds and Sheriffs waiting to ticket the unsuspecting. I'm sure they sometimes read the wrong speed, but overall they are correct. But it's still a bullshirt and unnecessary way to tax people. And the worst part is they are usually done by a private company who are doing it for profit so, they are never going to allow for judgment calls. And, because it's not a criminal offense and is only a civil fine, they can get away with it not being done or reviewed by the Police. You can't get arrested for not paying them, but they can ding your credit.

It's absolutely a racket. I'll never understand how they are legal.
I think it slides because there are no points on drivers license or effect on insurance rates. If it did i think they would be a much greater outcry about it

and it's absolutely a money making racket I don't care how much they claim otherwise

Remember all the signs early on that said "Red Light Camera or Speed Camera Ahead"? They're all gone now, because they want people to run the red, they want people to speed, they want to generate those tickets and that revenue

and the one out X times a red light was run that causes a terrible accident that would have been avoided with a warning sign or longer yellow light?

Just the cost of doing business.

And make no mistake, they are doing business

Last edited:

One good thing I can say about Ms. is Cameras can't be used to issue a ticket for a moving violation. They can only be used
to issue tickets for expired tags and no insurance. I'm fine with that.

These below are perfectly legal as far as I know.

laws by state

Last edited:
One good thing I can say about Ms. is Cameras can't be used to issue a ticket for a moving violation. They can only be used
to issue tickets for expired tags and no insurance. I'm fine with that.

These below are perfectly legal as far as I know.

laws by state
I don't have a problem with that either. But as far as I know, all cameras here in Virginia are for moving violations.

from the laws by state link.

Virginia law
only allows speed cameras in school zones and work zones.
Virginia permits red-light running cameras if there is a local ordinance.
Interesting. We have both here. FCPD trying to get all the money they can. They've passed some new laws in recent years but the cameras are still there. Maybe just haven't been taken down yet, but the school/work zone cameras are still working for sure. There are several red light cameras here too. Meh.

Fortunately, I haven't been dinged by those yet. My kids tho...:covri:.

Those cameras are just a way for local governments to tax people, mostly people who don't live in that town. They are no different than small towns that have speed traps with quickly reducing speeds and Sheriffs waiting to ticket the unsuspecting. I'm sure they sometimes read the wrong speed, but overall they are correct. But it's still a bullshirt and unnecessary way to tax people. And the worst part is they are usually done by a private company who are doing it for profit so, they are never going to allow for judgment calls. And, because it's not a criminal offense and is only a civil fine, they can get away with it not being done or reviewed by the Police. You can't get arrested for not paying them, but they can ding your credit.
this is more in conspiracy realm and not sure I believe this but I've heard that these camera companies have a VIP list to not hassle

More or less, high ranking politicans, judges, high profile executives and lawyers etc.

Catch a red light runner but the car is registered to the 18 year old son of the most litigious attorney in the state? Let's not mail that one out.

We catch the mayor's car going 20 miles over the limit? Never happened

I've heard the rumor (conspiracy theory?) that credit card and insurance companies have similar lists.

People not to fork with and be on the straight and narrow with.

Basically, don't screw with anyone who has the power to screw with you

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom