90% of Americans believe at least one conspiracy theory (1 Viewer)

Lmao, dude repeating decades old Russian propaganda. What an idiot. Can't say I'm surprised tho.
There's a surprising amount of people buying into Russian propaganda. Not just the stupid ones. The people who aren't suspicious of everything are falling for it. My dad used to tell me to never believe anything that you read and half of what you see. He eats that propaganda up. They hate the same people he hates. That's good enough for him.

Probably the biggest conspiracy theory, bigger than ufos and aliens, is the mystery surrounding inventors and physicists that have produced energy efficient motors, zero point energy, anti-gravity, solar energy, etc. All of them filing patents that get slapped with the secrecy label in the name of national security then either disappear or die under suspicious circumstances. I like watching this guy because he shows the conspiracy, then either debunks it or shows that it's still a mystery.

Probably the biggest conspiracy theory, bigger than ufos and aliens, is the mystery surrounding inventors and physicists that have produced energy efficient motors, zero point energy, anti-gravity, solar energy, etc. All of them filing patents that get slapped with the secrecy label in the name of national security then either disappear or die under suspicious circumstances. I like watching this guy because he shows the conspiracy, then either debunks it or shows that it's still a mystery.

Yep, this is where a ton of conspiracy theories are birthed, and start people on the road to other more unbelievable conspiracies. Some people need a reason or a way to explain the unexplainable, and often come up with outlandish reasons for things being the way they are. And if they can't trust the government patent office, they aren't gonna trust other government agencies.

People need things to happen for a reason. They need order and control.

The universe is neither. People invent ways to explain things so they can feel that whatever happening is happening for a reason - good or bad. It doesn't matter the reason or the motive behind the reason, as long as whatever it is explains why things happened. Logic need not apply.

Pandemic? Must be a global conspiracy because otherwise it is an uncontrollable global event that randomly happens throughout history.

9/11? Has to be the government because otherwise it is an event that was just an act of terrorists and that can happen anywhere at any time.

HIV? It had to be god punishing gays or the CIA or someone because otherwise there are horrible diseases out there that can randomly appear and cause a pandemic. Oh.

People need things to happen for a reason. They need order and control.

The universe is neither. People invent ways to explain things so they can feel that whatever happening is happening for a reason - good or bad. It doesn't matter the reason or the motive behind the reason, as long as whatever it is explains why things happened. Logic need not apply.

Pandemic? Must be a global conspiracy because otherwise it is an uncontrollable global event that randomly happens throughout history.

9/11? Has to be the government because otherwise it is an event that was just an act of terrorists and that can happen anywhere at any time.

HIV? It had to be god punishing gays or the CIA or someone because otherwise there are horrible diseases out there that can randomly appear and cause a pandemic. Oh.
I wonder if the search for order/meaning might be the byproduct
Akin to saying humans crave sugar- maybe it’s rhetorical but I think it’s more like we crave energy and sugar just happens to be the biggest band for the buck (and modern processing techniques have made it so the basic human need is highly addicting)

So to the conspiracy stuff, maybe yearning for order is the byproduct (like you say, life is not orderly, so why would an organism crave what isn’t naturally occurring?)
I think what we respond to is efficiency
Aside from courtship, most organisms will try to satisfy their needs as efficiently as possible (predators will target the sick and old - many animals will take over existing shelter if it’s easier than making their own, et al)

So we hear a theory and we probably ask two questions: - does this answer a question?
- do I have to spend much brain energy on it?
(Note. Believing in a conspiracy is different than making one - the making of them is, by design, highly inefficient)

Akin to saying humans crave sugar- maybe it’s rhetorical but I think it’s more like we crave energy and sugar just happens to be the biggest band for the buck (and modern processing techniques have made it so the basic human need is highly addicting)

So to the conspiracy stuff, maybe yearning for order is the byproduct (like you say, life is not orderly, so why would an organism crave what isn’t naturally occurring?)
Aside from courtship, most organisms will try to satisfy their needs as efficiently as possible (predators will target the sick and old - many animals will take over existing shelter if it’s easier than making their own, et al)

So we hear a theory and we probably ask two questions: - does this answer a question?
(Note. Believing in a conspiracy is different than making one - the making of them is, by design, highly inefficient)
That is a fascinating theory

This is why the EE is the best source of compelling thought on the internet. And zeetes.

Alan Moore said this was the conclusion he arrived at while researching conspiracies for a bunch of his works. That they were attractive to people because they created the illusion of an ordered world instead of a chaotic one, and the idea of a shadowy, string pulling force being the cause of all the world's horrors was ultimately more comforting than acknowleding the much more terrifying reality that no one is really in control, at least not to that level, and that at the end of the day the world is just a dangerous, deadly place where bad things happen without rhyme or reason

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom