13 Players To Consider in Round 2 (1 Viewer)

Now that round 1 is over, I wanted to do a quick write-up on what I view as the 13 best players still available tomorrow evening. I’m a comps guy, so I’ll add in my best comparison:

1. Jer’Zhan Newton, DL Illinois - Record breaking year for offensive draft picks means there’s some extreme value on the defensive side going into round 2. Newton was my overall #14 player and my #1 interior defensive lineman. Finding a hole with Newton is a challenge, he’s not flashing with crazy plays - but the pad level is consistent, he anchors as a run defender as well as any of the 3-techs, and as a pass rusher the hip quickness off the snap is real. Think he’ll go well before 45th, but this would be a home run.

Best comparison: Grady Jarrett

2. Ennis Rakestraw Jr, CB Missouri
- Being invisible on a football field is bad for every position except CB, and to me Rakestraw is being overlooked due in large part to the fact that teams didn’t look his way. In a lot of ways, Rakestraw is Diet Sauce Gardner. He can live on an island on the boundary, has elite mirror skills and is incredibly seasoned at attacking the ball on contested catches. He’s a bit small and doesn’t have elite athletic traits, but technique and skill are up to snuff.

Best comparison: Darius Slay

3. Jackson Powers-Johnson, IOL Oregon
- As a pure center, I preferred Barton by a hair, but I think as a versatile interior offensive lineman - JPJ is the best in the class. I would think more so than his physical traits, which are above average - where he is going to be a “safer” pick is his smarts as a signal caller. He’s gritty, tough and along with Quinyon Mitchell was one of the big gainers from the Senior Bowl, so it seemed.

Best comparison: Frank Ragnow

4. T’Vondre Sweat, IDL Texas -
I get the off-field stuff isn’t flattering at all right now and given the terrible streak young NFL players are on, but this is a unicorn on the field. He has one obvious comp, and even then - he’s bigger and just as athletic pound for pound. He’s not a run game “piece”, he’s a dominant space eater, with better than expected 3rd down value. Today’s NFL makes a lot of the old school nose prototypes obsolete, but there is always going to be room for freaks like this.

Best comparison: Vita Vea

5. Edgerrin Cooper, LB Texas A&M
- Cooper has been my favorite off ball LB in the class since about midway through the 2023 season. The East to West speed and physicality in pursuit were always elite, but where he really turned the corner was instinctually. There was considerably less guess work, which is generally a trait you don’t see a big leap in. I think he’s still getting better, and the ceiling is extremely high.

Best comparison: De’Vondre Campbell

6. Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB Alabama
- I might the Diet Sauce Gardner joke earlier, so how about Diet Derek Stingley Jr? Smooth is the first word that comes to mind when I think of the player. There’s no jerkiness, or hesitation in change of direction. There is a growing brand of WRs (just call them the Ohio State guys) that I would call “gliders”, that instead of sticking their routes, they win leverage by steering the defender away from the route and gliding into apex. McKinstry’s talent is going to play to that well and I think he is going to better Year 3 than Year 1. Growing talent.

Best comparison: James Bradberry

7. Cooper DeJean, DB Iowa
- The jokes are funny, but the guy can play. I think he’s a pure zone corner if you’re playing him on the boundary, but the safety skill set is there as well. He’s a willing tackler, great athlete in recovery, and plays the ball extremely well in the air. You don’t want him on an island with deep speed, but it seems avoidable given his versatility to move around the secondary. It seems like he could fall due to being a chess piece than a plug and play, but he’s talented.

Best comparison: Xavier Rhodes

8. Adonai Mitchell, WR Texas
- Given his skill set and the teams that were sitting back end of Round 1, I really can’t believe Mitchell is still on the board. It’s not the 4.22 that Worthy ran, but a 4.34 at 6’2, 205 is incredible - and that speed is there on film. I actually love his deep routes, which has been a big knock on him. Some of the snap isn’t always there on the short to intermediate stuff, but he runs maybe the best deep post in the class. Adjusts well to the ball in the air. Primarily a deep threat, but not totally dissimilar to Brian Thomas Jr, who I also believe has another dimension to add to his game at the next level.

Best comparison: Nico Collins

9. Bralen Trice, Edge Washington
- I get that Saints fans may feel a bit burned by Foskey so far, and it may trickle into the feelings of the rail thin, speed rushers. That said, the heart wants what it wants and I am still dying for New Orleans to find the right burner opposite the stability on the other edge. He needs to develop better moves in the NFL, but that first step twitch is unteachable. He’s smooth hipped, so I think he’s going to get better when he develops some hand fighting. May not ever be a 3 down guy, but he could be a double digit sack producer.

Best comparison: Za’Darrius Smith

10. Christian Haynes, OG UCONN
- He might be my favorite pure guard in the class. Hands are where they need to be, he’s incredibly athletic and agile and he’s got the mean streak in him. He’s not big and bruising, but he can get the job done as a run blocker and the pass blocking is arguably the best among all the interior offensive linemen (unless you consider Fautanu an inside guy).

Best comparison: Shaq Mason

11. Ladd McConkey, WR Georgia
- I went back and forth on ranking Ladd & Keon Coleman. If it was pure player rankings, I’d definitely prefer Coleman - but Ladd has a lot of value, especially with a QB that likes throwing short to intermediate, inside the hashes. I don’t personally comp him closest to Renfrow, but as an in-breaking, out-breaking first read option out of the slot, I think Derek Carr would see the similarities. The routes are crisp and he separates on short routes at an elite level. Also deceptively elite acceleration. I don’t think people realize this is a 4.39 guy.

Best comparison: Adam Theilen

12. Kingsley Suamatai, OT BYU
- For my money, the single most underrated prospect in the 2024 class. Watching his tape, I was instantly reminded of Ramcyzk - in what could be called a “bad way”. There was nothing special about him. Big enough, but not massive. Athletic enough, but not blow-you away agile. What stood out was the consistency. He always plays clean football and he always blocks his man (allowed 2 sacks the last two years combined). Finding a negative about the player is incredibly difficult. Incredibly dependable. Isn’t that what you want in an OT?

Best comparison: Taylor Moton

13. J’Tavion Sanders, TE Texas - A forgotten man with Xavier Worthy and AD Mitchell pulling targets away, but Sanders should not be slept on as the second best tight end in this draft. His blocking is solid, though not always consistent. Where he is really bound to change an offense is as a pass catching option. He has jets for his size and busts the seam as well as Bowers. I love the athleticism and I think the blocking has room to grow. He could be far better than the gap people are assigning between he and Bowers.

Best comparison: Trey McBride
Jackson Powers Booth -Put at Center
Move McCoy to Guard (played in college)
Ruiz Guard
Fuaga RT/LT
Penning/Peat RT/LT

O line gets in pretty good shape for future

Jackson Powers Booth -Put at Center
Move McCoy to Guard (played in college)
Ruiz Guard
Fuaga RT/LT
Penning/Peat RT/LT

O line gets in pretty good shape for future

I think the OL is going to look completely different under Kubiak. Heavy emphasis on zone blocking, which eliminates a lot of exposure for guys like Penning. That being said, Fuaga is not enough with so many departures/injuries that could be career-threatening. The offensive line is in shambles right night now.

OL is deep in this class and there are some real dudes left that can work inside and outside. Suamataia is my favorite that I think will actually be there, but Cooper Beebe, Javon Foster, Christian Mahogany.. It’s a strong class.

Please, please, PLEASE, i hope we’re able to land Cooper Dejean or Johnny Newton. I also like Austin Booker & Mo Kamera. Im also all for a playmaker Keon Coleman, AD Mitchell, or Ladd Mcconkey. Dude…there’s still a ton of talent there for the taking. I hope we’re able to some how get another Day 2 pick.

Oline remains a huge need but part of me thinks they need to go DE with this 2nd round pick. Cam isn't getting any younger, Young is a huge question mark right now and well Turner has been MIA since day 1

I think Cooper Dejean or Johnny Newton would be the guys you consider moving up for.
Both could probably contribute first year and won’t be there when saints draft. If Saints don’t trade up I hope they trade back and pick up a third or fourth.

Probably like to trade down fine a good lineman to add to the wide zone spread

I really like Blake Fisher and picking up a 3rd round pick.

Blake Fisher might be 3 inches to tall to play interior, but he's good fit for the scheme.

Anyone worth trading up for?

In my opinion, based on my own list - I feel like there’s a tier break after the 8th best available (AD Mitchell). That’s really 8 guys I would’ve put a “round 1” grade on. It’s all just personal opinion obviously, but I think there’s value to jump if you get down to 1 or 2 names around the 10th pick of the round.

With New Orleans selecting 13th, moving 5 spots wouldn’t be a killer. If you can jump to land Newton, JPJ, Sweat, Edgerrin Cooper, or AD Mitchell - it feels worth the jump. Also feels like based on position depth one of DeJean, Rakestraw or McKinstry could be there in the next 10.

Anyone worth trading up for?
Illinois DT Johnny Newton was a fringe top 20 guy on most analysts big boards. I hear that the top of round 2 will see a couple of WR drafted, it will be interesting to see how far Newton falls.

There's also some DBs that had a first round grade still available: Iowa Safety Cooper DeJean, and Bama CB Kool-aid McKinstry.

Now that round 1 is over, I wanted to do a quick write-up on what I view as the 13 best players still available tomorrow evening. I’m a comps guy, so I’ll add in my best comparison:

1. Jer’Zhan Newton, DL Illinois - Record breaking year for offensive draft picks means there’s some extreme value on the defensive side going into round 2. Newton was my overall #14 player and my #1 interior defensive lineman. Finding a hole with Newton is a challenge, he’s not flashing with crazy plays - but the pad level is consistent, he anchors as a run defender as well as any of the 3-techs, and as a pass rusher the hip quickness off the snap is real. Think he’ll go well before 45th, but this would be a home run.

Best comparison: Grady Jarrett

2. Ennis Rakestraw Jr, CB Missouri
- Being invisible on a football field is bad for every position except CB, and to me Rakestraw is being overlooked due in large part to the fact that teams didn’t look his way. In a lot of ways, Rakestraw is Diet Sauce Gardner. He can live on an island on the boundary, has elite mirror skills and is incredibly seasoned at attacking the ball on contested catches. He’s a bit small and doesn’t have elite athletic traits, but technique and skill are up to snuff.

Best comparison: Darius Slay

3. Jackson Powers-Johnson, IOL Oregon
- As a pure center, I preferred Barton by a hair, but I think as a versatile interior offensive lineman - JPJ is the best in the class. I would think more so than his physical traits, which are above average - where he is going to be a “safer” pick is his smarts as a signal caller. He’s gritty, tough and along with Quinyon Mitchell was one of the big gainers from the Senior Bowl, so it seemed.

4. T’Vondre Sweat, IDL Texas -
I get the off-field stuff isn’t flattering at all right now and given the terrible streak young NFL players are on, but this is a unicorn on the field. He has one obvious comp, and even then - he’s bigger and just as athletic pound for pound. He’s not a run game “piece”, he’s a dominant space eater, with better than expected 3rd down value. Today’s NFL makes a lot of the old school nose prototypes obsolete, but there is always going to be room for freaks like this.

Best comparison: Vita Vea

5. Edgerrin Cooper, LB Texas A&M
- Cooper has been my favorite off ball LB in the class since about midway through the 2023 season. The East to West speed and physicality in pursuit were always elite, but where he really turned the corner was instinctually. There was considerably less guess work, which is generally a trait you don’t see a big leap in. I think he’s still getting better, and the ceiling is extremely high.

Best comparison: De’Vondre Campbell

6. Kool-Aid McKinstry, CB Alabama
- I might the Diet Sauce Gardner joke earlier, so how about Diet Derek Stingley Jr? Smooth is the first word that comes to mind when I think of the player. There’s no jerkiness, or hesitation in change of direction. There is a growing brand of WRs (just call them the Ohio State guys) that I would call “gliders”, that instead of sticking their routes, they win leverage by steering the defender away from the route and gliding into apex. McKinstry’s talent is going to play to that well and I think he is going to better Year 3 than Year 1. Growing talent.

Best comparison: James Bradberry

7. Cooper DeJean, DB Iowa
- The jokes are funny, but the guy can play. I think he’s a pure zone corner if you’re playing him on the boundary, but the safety skill set is there as well. He’s a willing tackler, great athlete in recovery, and plays the ball extremely well in the air. You don’t want him on an island with deep speed, but it seems avoidable given his versatility to move around the secondary. It seems like he could fall due to being a chess piece than a plug and play, but he’s talented.

Best comparison: Xavier Rhodes

8. Adonai Mitchell, WR Texas
- Given his skill set and the teams that were sitting back end of Round 1, I really can’t believe Mitchell is still on the board. It’s not the 4.22 that Worthy ran, but a 4.34 at 6’2, 205 is incredible - and that speed is there on film. I actually love his deep routes, which has been a big knock on him. Some of the snap isn’t always there on the short to intermediate stuff, but he runs maybe the best deep post in the class. Adjusts well to the ball in the air. Primarily a deep threat, but not totally dissimilar to Brian Thomas Jr, who I also believe has another dimension to add to his game at the next level.

Best comparison: Nico Collins

9. Bralen Trice, Edge Washington
- I get that Saints fans may feel a bit burned by Foskey so far, and it may trickle into the feelings of the rail thin, speed rushers. That said, the heart wants what it wants and I am still dying for New Orleans to find the right burner opposite the stability on the other edge. He needs to develop better moves in the NFL, but that first step twitch is unteachable. He’s smooth hipped, so I think he’s going to get better when he develops some hand fighting. May not ever be a 3 down guy, but he could be a double digit sack producer.

Best comparison: Za’Darrius Smith

10. Christian Haynes, OG UCONN
- He might be my favorite pure guard in the class. Hands are where they need to be, he’s incredibly athletic and agile and he’s got the mean streak in him. He’s not big and bruising, but he can get the job done as a run blocker and the pass blocking is arguably the best among all the interior offensive linemen (unless you consider Fautanu an inside guy).

Best comparison: Shaq Mason

11. Ladd McConkey, WR Georgia
- I went back and forth on ranking Ladd & Keon Coleman. If it was pure player rankings, I’d definitely prefer Coleman - but Ladd has a lot of value, especially with a QB that likes throwing short to intermediate, inside the hashes. I don’t personally comp him closest to Renfrow, but as an in-breaking, out-breaking first read option out of the slot, I think Derek Carr would see the similarities. The routes are crisp and he separates on short routes at an elite level. Also deceptively elite acceleration. I don’t think people realize this is a 4.39 guy.

Best comparison: Adam Theilen

12. Kingsley Suamatai, OT BYU
- For my money, the single most underrated prospect in the 2024 class. Watching his tape, I was instantly reminded of Ramcyzk - in what could be called a “bad way”. There was nothing special about him. Big enough, but not massive. Athletic enough, but not blow-you away agile. What stood out was the consistency. He always plays clean football and he always blocks his man (allowed 2 sacks the last two years combined). Finding a negative about the player is incredibly difficult. Incredibly dependable. Isn’t that what you want in an OT?

Best comparison: Taylor Moton

13. J’Tavion Sanders, TE Texas - A forgotten man with Xavier Worthy and AD Mitchell pulling targets away, but Sanders should not be slept on as the second best tight end in this draft. His blocking is solid, though not always consistent. Where he is really bound to change an offense is as a pass catching option. He has jets for his size and busts the seam as well as Bowers. I love the athleticism and I think the blocking has room to grow. He could be far better than the gap people are assigning between he and Bowers.

Best comparison: Trey McBride

Great write up. I think 9/13 of those players are gone by 45 and Sweat may be a 3rd rounder due to issues. Thoughts on Sainristil as a slot CB, Fiske vs Jenkins at DT, Wilson vs Colson at LB?

We need to draft a G next that also can start from day 1!

1714134474208.png
My concern about Haynes is the level of competition he faced in college.
Will he be able to adjust to the NFL immediately or will it take him a year or two...
Agreed. I'd really like to shift back and grab one of those Michigan guards...

Great write up. I think 9/13 of those players are gone by 45 and Sweat may be a 3rd rounder due to issues. Thoughts on Sainristil as a slot CB, Fiske vs Jenkins at DT, Wilson vs Colson at LB?
Mike Sainristil is one of my favorite football players, but I worry that he just doesn’t have the size/skillset to play to his nickel role. They talked about in on the draft broadcast, the modern slot corner is essentially an early down SAM that can cover the slot - more than just an undersized corner. As willing and gritty as MS is, I just don’t know that he has the weight and ability to take on blocks and you don’t want to match him with the TE. He could be used similarly to Jourdan Lewis (who I think is his best comp), where he is a boundary/Z corner early and bumps inside - but I think there are exploitable size/speed matchups out wide. He can compensate for a lot of the natural limitations with how good he is though.

Fiske would be on my top 20 remaining. Most the time I watched Verse tape, Fiske was the more consistent player. He doesn’t take plays off and shoots gaps incredible quick. Would be a great pick at 45 if the FO likes him. Comp I have on him is Karl Brooks, who slid way past talent last year for the same negatives.

Kris Jenkins and Michael Hall blend a bit. They’re both good and dependable, but I think they were aided by just really, really talented defenses. I haven’t really searched for double team rates, but I would bet a guy like Newton’s is > Jenkins/Hall combined. I prefer Brandon Dorlus and Leonard Taylor upside to Jenkins/Hall, but I think those guys will play NFL snaps.

Payton Wilson would be high for me. Drew Sanders was my favorite LB last year to replace Kaden Elliss and I think Wilson is very similar. There are some wash-out scares, but the cover skills/outside rush talent are insanely impressive. I prefer him to Colson, who reminds me a bit of Darron Lee. He’s athletic and makes up for it, but he doesn’t seem overly instinctual.

3. Jackson Powers-Johnson, IOL Oregon - As a pure center, I preferred Barton by a hair, but I think as a versatile interior offensive lineman - JPJ is the best in the class. I would think more so than his physical traits, which are above average - where he is going to be a “safer” pick is his smarts as a signal caller. He’s gritty, tough and along with Quinyon Mitchell was one of the big gainers from the Senior Bowl, so it seemed.

As I recall you thought Frank Ragnow was a marginal athlete. Has enough time passed now to revise that view? :)

Great list though. I'd happily drop a 5th rounder to sneak in to get Newton to solidify and make that interior DL sparkle. Fiske wouldn't be a bad consolation prize.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom