XFL USFL merger (1 Viewer)

It's official. The leagues have merged and will be called the UFL (United Football League). Four USFL franchises and four XFL franchises merge. Unfortunately, the Breakers did not make the cut but I think they have a chance to return as the league matures. Here are the teams that will be competing in 2024 and their respective conferences

Screenshot 2024-01-01 at 12.27.47 PM.png

XFL teams not making the cut: Orlando Guardians, Vegas Vipers, Seattle Sea Dragons, Houston Rougnecks (brand lives but is the former Gamblers franchise rebranded as Roughnecks)

USFL teams not making the cut: Philadelphia Stars, Pittsburgh Maulers, New Jersey Generals, New Orleans Breakers

The Houston Gamblers franchise will be known as the Roughnecks. The Roughnecks had a good following in Houston plus I think this had to be done to satisfy the government and get to a merger. The USFL players had/have a union and erasing 5 of their 8 teams likely wasn't acceptable. So a 4th franchise survives (same players, coaches) but will be rebranded to the XFL Houston identity. If this is the case, the union was able to save half it's members. The rest will be placed in a special dispersement draft that only USFL Conference teams can initially choose from. Any former USFL players not selected in that draft would then be open to a later UFL draft that all teams participate in. By the way, Curtis Johnson remains coach of the Houston USFL franchise. It's unfortunate for Houston fans who had Wade Phillips coaching the XFL Roughnecks. Phillips had a 2 year contract with the XFL and will now coach the San Antonio franchise, replacing Hines Ward. I think this is a huge missed opportunity as Wade was a winner in the XFL and had a built in relationship with the Houston market.

The UFL will make it's debut on March 30 when the 2023 XFL Champion Arlington Renegades kick off against the 2023 USFL Champion Birmingham Stallions.

The ownership and broadcast partners for the combined league are strong. The USFL was basically owned by Fox. The XFL was owned by Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, Dany Garcia (former wife and business manager) and Red Bird Capital. All of those forces combine and allign with ESPN/ABC as cooperating broadcast partners.

The merged league has yet to disclose it's rules. Personally I hope it's the XFL's rule book, I really like the kickoff and PAT rules. But, like with all mergers, I'm sure it will be some kind of blend.

If they can polish up this business model, I believe there will be room for modest expansion. I'd expect the Breakers and Seattle Sea Dragons to be options. New Orleans loves football and though this iteration of the Breakers played at hubs away from it's "home" market, they had "good" television ratings. Seattle showed up and supported their team. They got caught up in a geographic squeeze. Compared to the 8 teams that will be competing, Seattle is just too far away. Why does that matter? This league will follow the XFL 2023 model where all teams hub in Arlington, TX. They will travel to their home markets to host games on game days. Seattle is just too far away right now.

When it comes to expansion, I think the league will be looking for actual franchise owners (league investors), so new teams may need independent ownership. Heck, they may want investors to purchase the 8 current teams that will be owned by the league in 2024.

Last notes: Former Breakers head coach John DeFilippo will coach the Memphis Showboats this year. Lastly, I guess the Gamblers name has a chance to return in Las Vegas eventually.

Last edited:
Well... I don't think that I will be putting this much work into creating a board style for the next New Orleans fly by night football reiteration, I can tell you that. :hihi:

Could you rebrand it as LSU Sports and change it to Purple and Gold? There's plenty of LSU fans on here who would like to discuss LSU Sports without clogging up the NCAA forum and prefer not to venture to Tiger Droppings.

Could you rebrand it as LSU Sports and change it to Purple and Gold? There's plenty of LSU fans on here who would like to discuss LSU Sports without clogging up the NCAA forum and prefer not to venture to Tiger Droppings.
Yes! I can. I don't think that is a bad idea. It will take some time for me to skin it, but it's doable.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom