Question To the draft BPA crowd, was Bresee BPA? (2 Viewers)

We don't even know if Mayer is on their board with his RAS. Moreau is a RAS'd up Mayer with NFL experience who all things are pointing to them signing him once he beats cancer himself.
You're right. Didn't say they would draft Mayer, but he might have been the BPA. Also think they are betting on Moreau. I really hope he makes it!
That's way more important than football!

We don't even know if Mayer is on their board with his RAS. Moreau is a RAS'd up Mayer with NFL experience who all things are pointing to them signing him once he beats cancer himself.
I'd love one of these great young TE prospects in the draft but I really believe the Saints have downgraded this position because they expect and intend to bring Moreau in closer to the season after, fingers crossed, he's recovered.

I'd love one of these great young TE prospects in the draft but I really believe the Saints have downgraded this position because they expect and intend to bring Moreau in closer to the season after, fingers crossed, he's recovered.

I agree. So a guy like Mayer who is a do-it-all complete TE is essentially Moreau, also a do-it-all complete TE. The guys who bring something different are Washington and Kuntz with their size. Washington is ahead with is blocking and Kuntz is a unicorn mismatch receiving threat. I can see them drafting one of them over Mayer, LaPorta or Kraft.

If he can stay healthy he'd be an absolute force in the interior D-line. IF he can stay healthy and that's a big IF when you know his collegiate career. When he's at 100 % I do think he could be a young Ndamokung Suh. I don't think he was the BPA on the Saints board - could have been Mayer IMO - but they had to take him cause we're extremely thin at that position. I love the pick when it turns out that he's healthy, I hate the pick if he'll have the same problems staying healthy as in college. Whatever ... it's hard not to root for this guy. He's been through a lot of sh**. Can't even imagine what it must have been like to watch his sister fight for 18 months and still have to stand at her funeral. F*** cancer!
đź’Ż To your last.
You're right. Didn't say they would draft Mayer, but he might have been the BPA. Also think they are betting on Moreau. I really hope he makes it!
That's way more important than football!
Amen.

Personally, he was who I wanted. Only guy in that range who I would’ve considered was Kincaid and maybe Porter. So I guess he was BPA for me.

I also think even if you have one player slightly higher at that point, that’s when positional need and value come in to play. Which would slide Bresee ahead of, say, a WR or LB in the same range.

I think he was a consensus top 25 player so I could easily see us having him ranked in the top 20 based off athletic profile.

The secondary guys are arguable but both would be pure depth pieces in a spot where we don't really rotate guys. Taylor rode the bench for a game at the end of the year and he probably was our 2nd best CB. Branch doesn't really fit our athletic profile and it doesn't really matter how good your secondary is if your front 7 can't rush the passer or stop the run.

Nolan Smith is in no way a schematic fit.

Mayer maybe but positional value at TE is meh and he doesn't really jump off the board athletically.

Don't think the guards are better than he is but at least they have a path to start as early as next year. Think they have both average RAS scores. I hope we start to develop mid round picks on the inside instead of having to use a first round pick every so often.

QB doesn't make sense from a contract perspective and it was nice to see that the NFL thinks Levis is a fraud too.

Yes. Legitimately think he was the best player available and my historical posts back it up.

I think the front offices’ conversations were probably very similar to the ones we have, albeit with much more insight and much better detail because they have more information available and more knowledge of the sport in general.

1. Hard to make the case that from a pure talent perspective, Bresee was not at the very top of the board. #1 overall high school recruit that plugged in and immediately started for a team that was coming off a run of like 5 of 6 seasons being playoff appearances.

2. The Saints need beef on the interior defensive line, and that is arguably the place of greatest need.

The Saints didn’t move to land Bresee, so it’s likely they had guys graded around the same at 29. Ultimately, the Saints thought the talent/risk difference between Bresee and the next player on their board was meaningful.

Last edited:
Personally, he was who I wanted. Only guy in that range who I would’ve considered was Kincaid and maybe Porter. So I guess he was BPA for me.

I also think even if you have one player slightly higher at that point, that’s when positional need and value come in to play. Which would slide Bresee ahead of, say, a WR or LB in the same range.
Great point. I get why he was the pick.
Hey, we all have done this. Right? Smile. Good vibes. In it to win it.
💯. Swampy at least apologized even tho he didn’t need to, most just double down with their nastiness towards others. I truly hope those folks who are always nasty can find some happiness in their lives. Not being sarcastic either. I feel bad for em.

Good question. I think the team forced the pick, but did not reach for the pick. I think the Saints were determined to pick a defensive lineman, preferably a defensive tackle, and were hoping that Myles Murphy would fall. At 29, they did not consider any other position. But at 29 they probably did not have any player graded materially higher than Bresee, whom they seem to like.

I think he was a consensus top 25 player so I could easily see us having him ranked in the top 20 based off athletic profile.

The secondary guys are arguable but both would be pure depth pieces in a spot where we don't really rotate guys. Taylor rode the bench for a game at the end of the year and he probably was our 2nd best CB. Branch doesn't really fit our athletic profile and it doesn't really matter how good your secondary is if your front 7 can't rush the passer or stop the run.

Nolan Smith is in no way a schematic fit.

Mayer maybe but positional value at TE is meh and he doesn't really jump off the board athletically.

Don't think the guards are better than he is but at least they have a path to start as early as next year. Think they have both average RAS scores. I hope we start to develop mid round picks on the inside instead of having to use a first round pick every so often.

QB doesn't make sense from a contract perspective and it was nice to see that the NFL thinks Levis is a fraud too.
Agreed on most points.
As an aside, I wish we’d stop being so dependent on RAS. It doesn’t seem to be working out imo. I’ve asked this before, genuinely, what have we won in the last few seasons? Nada.

Good question. I think the team forced the pick, but did not reach for the pick. I think the Saints were determined to pick a defensive lineman, preferably a defensive tackle, and were hoping that Myles Murphy would fall. At 29, they did not consider any other position. But at 29 they probably did not have any player graded materially higher than Bresee, whom they seem to like.
I think that’s a good way to put it. I’m glad he “fell” to us. Or lasted until our pick, however you want to put it.
just glad we didnt trade up thought this draft favored the Saints from start to finish of the 1st rd now lets hope the 2nd 3rd 4th and 5th go the same
Trades are coming imo, at least one. If they nail it I’ll be happy. I’m just glad they didn’t sell the farm last night.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Twitter

Back
    Top Bottom