Opinion The the Saints offensive line has sidelined 4 to 5 starting Saints QBs in the last 4yrs. (1 Viewer)

Very much this. We're also not calling balanced games and not giving them much help. You can call screens and draws to help slow down the pass rushers, we don't do that often enough. Doesn't help that Carr and Winston are both QB's that like to take shots, which is fine when you have some extra blockers on those plays but we don't and they get killed in the process.
If we don't at least try some jailbreak screens with Shaheed and swing passes with AK41 next week I'm going to be annoyed.

Didn't know Brees was under center at Tulane.

Come on man, give the coach credit.
Huh? You said
Take it for what it's worth. Let's look at the decline in line play, which I think all can agree, currently sucks.

2019 PFF final line rankings= 5th
2020 PFF final line rankings= 8th
2021 PFF final line rankings= 18th
2022 PFF final line rankings= 21st
2023 PFF ranking to date= 23rd, probably going to slip after today.

What happened between 8th and 18th? Coaching? Sure Brees helped with some of this.
I said
Brees helped with all of that! Brees knew he was going quick pre-snap so he never really looked deep. He took 3-10 yard completions all game.
What am I missing?

You are saying that Brees did all of the work. That's not the case, but do you man.
So, you're saying that Brees' operation was not the main contributing factor in those PFF ratings? I couldn't disagree more. Not only has the pass pro been suspect, but the run game suffered under Kroemer's successors and that is including Roushar. The Saints O-Line woes are less to do with personnel and more to do with coaching and that has been true for well over 5 years.

Brees helped with all of that! Brees knew he was going quick pre-snap so he never really looked deep. He took 3-10 yard completions all game.
And in that dink and dunk offense, he averaged two TD passes per game. We are averaging less than half a passing TD per game with a more aggressive passing attack.

This is getting expensive. I really don't have an answer for the breakdown, but Ram is usually a beast. This is what happens when your 1st team get no snaps in the pre season. O line men have to be on the top of the list on draft day.
Ram has a degenerative knee issue, so it's only going to get worse. I don't know if it's something they knew before they drafted him or if it's something that popped up later on or what.

I have to say that Jameis getting injured in '21 wasn't on the O-line. That was just bad luck and Devin White being a dirty player like he always has been.
No, but he was running for his life when it happened.

Yeah...let's draft 5 more in the first round...eventually we'll get it right
The 1st rd is where you find elite pass blocking LTs. I ask, "how much better would we be if we could provide a clean pocket for the QB?" The FO has whiffed on Perderson as HC, and whiffed on a run blocking LT who is a mess at pass blocking. Whiffed on extending Ruiz. We have to come to grips w/ the fact that Drew made bad lines look good, and Carr/Winston can't. By game 5 this O line needs to be clicking. Our only hope is if Kamara can take the heat off the O line some.

That being said, things are not all bad, it seems we are a pretty good defensive line, and the changes DA has made in DL personnel and coaches have panned out. I am hoping we do the same overhaul w/ the guard position next year.

Pete Carmichael isn’t the only coaching problem on this team. The Packers were down 2 starters on their oline and the Saints couldn’t touch Love.

The Saints had their full compliment of starters on the oline, and the Packers were living in the Saints backfield like we were paying them.

Pete stinks
Doug stinks
Whoever is coaching the Dline stinks

Last edited:
Pete Carmichael isn’t the only coaching problem on this team. The Packers were down 2 starters on the Saints couldn’t touch Love.

The Saints had their full compliment of starters on the oline, and the Packers were living in the Saints backfield like we were paying them.
Yep. Our line can't deal with stunts. They don't work well as a unit. That's coaching.

It will be a long season if we can't keep defenses from sacking the QB, and scoring TDs instead of FGs.. We suck at both right now.

And to think, we have just started to see the injuries to that group. Peat will be on IR in the next 45 minutes, then someone else is bound to get dinged eventually. Unfortunately i dont think it can get much better, but it can certainly get sooo much worse.

I was coming here to say, a long absence for Carr is better for him if we don't fix this oline. It's atrocious.

Remember how we ALL knew that the DC Garry Gibbs and CB Jason David were the problems in our team and we celebrated when Gibbs was fired and David was cut? And instantly we were MUCH better and won a Super Bowl that season?

Well, it's the same with this oline. They ARE the weakest link on this team. And we will suffer in turmoil and mediocrity to downright sucking until that is ameliorated.

Derek Carr was hit and pressured WAY too much and it was consistent for 3 straight weeks.
I had to dead falcon this post, but not because it was wrong on any level, as a matter of fact it was accurate.

But you mentioned JD’s name and that is an offense before God and the Who Dat Nation.

5 1st round picks on that line.
First round picks are not guaranteed to transition to pro. Olinemen are tricky because outside the McCoys and such, it's hard to gauge who will be successful. We have better success with second and third round picks but that involved Payton. Is Ireland still around?

Oline is a gamble. We saw it weaken in 2013 and it really did not pick back up until 2018. It took a while to fix the guard spots.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom