The man or bear hypothetical (2 Viewers)

The original question that started this whole thing was, "Would you rather be stuck in a forest with a man or a bear?" This is why the question is littered with flaws and ripe for people to do a whole bunch of mental gymnastics with it. If there was no mention of an encounter with the bear, then it would have to be said that there was no mention of an encounter with the man either. Stuck in a forest? With a bear (or man) out there that maybe you do or do not physically encounter?

There is no agenda, there is no narrative, it is not an argument, and definitely no mental gymnastics needed to see what the question and answers are trying to reflect. And, unsurprisingly, some men's responses validate the sentiment being alluded to in the question.

And getting stuck on "stuck", it is a common idiom, so it shouldn't be so hard to figure out what's meant by "stuck with", like "I'm stuck with this mortgage", "I'm stuck with this lemon of a car", "I'm stuck in this bar with Falcons' fans"...

There is no agenda, there is no narrative, it is not an argument, and definitely no mental gymnastics needed to see what the question and answers are trying to reflect. And, unsurprisingly, some men's responses validate the sentiment being alluded to in the question.

And getting stuck on "stuck", it is a common idiom, so it shouldn't be so hard to figure out what's meant by "stuck with", like "I'm stuck with this mortgage", "I'm stuck with this lemon of a car", "I'm stuck in this bar with Falcons' fans"...
The question posed was, "Would you rather be stuck in a forest with a man or a bear?" The women gave direct answers based upon the two options presented. The agenda and mental gymnastics evolved from there. That is not to say that there wasn't a point to be made (which, again, has already been agreed upon - just not in direct relation to the straightforward question that was posed and answered). Acknowledging women's right to be fearful of men...just not in direct comparison to an encounter with a bear, with a shark in water, traveling back in time and being stuck with a dinosaur...doesn't mean men don't "get it." Some people prefer grounded reality instead of fantasy hyperbole.

So you have something against 11 that makes you feel negatively about the number? Would you rather be stuck in a forest with a bear or the number 11?

The question posed was, "Would you rather be stuck in a forest with a man or a bear?" The women gave direct answers based upon the two options presented. The agenda and mental gymnastics evolved from there. That is not to say that there wasn't a point to be made (which, again, has already been agreed upon - just not in direct relation to the straightforward question that was posed and answered). Acknowledging women's right to be fearful of men...just not in direct comparison to an encounter with a bear, with a shark in water, traveling back in time and being stuck with a dinosaur...doesn't mean men don't "get it." Some people prefer grounded reality instead of fantasy hyperbole.

So you have something against 11 that makes you feel negatively about the number? Would you rather be stuck in a forest with a bear or the number 11?
you’re concerning with ‘reality’ in a rhetorical question?

I honestly don't see why so many men got upset over this, as the man being left alone in the hypothetical woods won't have to listen to any nagging as he makes his way back into town. Gotta look at the positives.

I honestly don't see why so many men got upset over this, as the man being left alone in the hypothetical woods won't have to listen to any nagging as he makes his way back into town. Gotta look at the positives.
Maybe in the hypothetical woods.

In the real woods one will be nagged at by lots of the critters just for being there, mostly its birds who will do it.

Woodpeckers, magpies, crows, and ravens are the ones who will nag at a fellow the most.

Lizards rage and nag as well, but one can't hear their voice when they do it. I think they are like the dog whistles, dogs seem to hear them, but humans can't hear them. I can tell they are nagging at me through their body language.

[
because their feelings are hurt, that's why
i know you were joking, but it's mostly true.
some here are making it sound like this hypothetical is in a self defense or combat situation, that's not even close to what was asked.
actually the OP used the word alone, not stuck.

i will still say that if given the choice, if my daughter went hiking alone and i was asked would you rather a bear be in the woods or a strange(r) man be in the woods, i would choose the bear. the chance of her even crossing paths with the bear is slim to none, and even if she does, changes are more likely the bear just goes about his business.
maybe that's because I've been camping many times in the Ozark Mountains and have seen bears multiple times and they never raised an eyebrow..
also only 13% of bear attacks are fatal

Did they do the converse study - would men rather meet a woman or a bear in the woods?

Because a bear’s probly gonna leave you alone. But a woman will ask for directions, need food, whine whine whine.

1715135483581.png

That's not how it is done... let me show you:

"Would you rather be stuck in a forest with a bear or with a Jehovah's Witness?"
I'll take the bear.

Last edited:
1715135483581.png

That's not how it is done... let me show you:

"Would you rather be stuck in a forest with a bear or with a Jehovah's Witness?"
I'll take the bear.
I'm in the woods with several Jehovah Witnesses right now. They live about a 1/4 mile from me. I wouldn't describe it as being stuck. We get along fine, smile and wave.

They won't come into my house. That's a Witness thing.

I'm also alone with bears when I step out of my house.

And all alone with women in the house. Outnumbered at home by women.

I just realized it, you didn't give me a choice. I've got both witnesses and women, there is no choice. Cats, and bobcats too.

In my house I have an American Forest Cat, she's pretty, she's huge. The most affectionate cat I've ever been dearly loved by. So there are three kinds of cats here I'm alone with all the time. Two of them being of the larger cat kind.

Did they do the converse study - would men rather meet a woman or a bear in the woods?

Because a bear’s probly gonna leave you alone. But a woman will ask for directions, need food, whine whine whine.
But a man won't ask for directions swearing he knows how to get there and get them lost in the woods and a woman will always pack some snacks in an insulated bag.

I'm in the woods with several Jehovah Witnesses right now. They live about a 1/4 mile from me. I wouldn't describe it as being stuck. We get along fine, smile and wave.

They won't come into my house. That's a Witness thing.

I'm also alone with bears when I step out of my house.

And all alone with women in the house. Outnumbered at home by women.

I just realized it, you didn't give me a choice. I've got both witnesses and women, there is no choice. Cats, and bobcats too.

In my house I have an American Forest Cat, she's pretty, she's huge. The most affectionate cat I've ever been dearly loved by. So there are three kinds of cats here I'm alone with all the time. Two of them being of the larger cat kind.
Took my dog out to do his business a couple weeks ago in the dark. He heard an animal and so did I, but we never saw what it was and I hurried him up and got back into the house.

I'm positive it was a chupacabra and I'm sticking to that story.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom