The Electric Vehicle (EV) discussion thread (Merged) (4 Viewers)

Yesterday when I was driving to work, I saw a car transporter hauling some type of EV car that I had never seen before (not a car enthusiast, so it takes a car looking VERY different for me to even notice). When I got to campus, I looked up the name, Lotus.

I have to admit the cars on the transporter, sedans and SUVs, looked even better than they do on the website. That could just be the product of a poor website though. I only spend a couple minutes looking, but the angles of the pics for the cars, besides the sportscar, were dark, weird angles. Just show the dang car already! At any rate, what do you guys know about them? Do we know yet how they look to fare in the EV market?

I wish I could attend the event, just to learn more about heavy-duty EVs

I want Aptera to succeed, but I think that three wheel design is going to keep them from being anything beyond a small niche player in the EV market. It’s the main reason I haven’t invested in them. Beyond that, the monocoque body is going to make body repairs very expensive.

That said, I dig the design. I love the ability for it to totally recharge itself off solar (assuming you have a clear day). There are several things I like about it. I personally would consider buying one but I think I and many other enthusiasts are outliers from the mass market.

I want Aptera to succeed, but I think that three wheel design is going to keep them from being anything beyond a small niche player in the EV market. It’s the main reason I haven’t invested in them. Beyond that, the monocoque body is going to make body repairs very expensive.

That said, I dig the design. I love the ability for it to totally recharge itself off solar (assuming you have a clear day). There are several things I like about it. I personally would consider buying one but I think I and many other enthusiasts are outliers from the mass maBonks!

Who do you like in the EV market? I posted about the Lotus cars I saw being hauled a few days ago, but it didn't elicit any opinions. Do you like them, Rivian, someone else, or one of the well-known car manufacturers that have entered the EV space?

Who do you like in the EV market? I posted about the Lotus cars I saw being hauled a few days ago, but it didn't elicit any opinions. Do you like them, Rivian, someone else, or one of the well-known car manufacturers that have entered the EV space?

I think the reason you may have not heard many opinions on the Lotus is because its so unknown. I’ve barely seen the Emeya in automotive publications and blogs. It is a great looking SUV though.

I’d have to say I like Rivian. Especially since I’m on my 2nd R1T (the first was totaled in a crash). I’ve also got $15K tied up in their stock (and losing). They’ve built a surprisingly high quality vehicle for their first try. I’ve only had problems with the tonneau cover, which was redesigned and replaced last December. The design is a little out there but it comes with a pretty large frunk and the gear tunnel is the most useful storage space I’ve seen on any vehicle. Then there is the performance. You can now buy the cheapest R1T with dual motors and just over 400HP. But I’ve got the Quad Motor with 835HP and 905Ft Lbs of torque. The performance is just jaw dropping. One other thing I like about Rivian is they under promise and over deliver on range. When the R1T first came out they were claiming 320miles of range. Many reviewers and owners are reporting ranges over 360miles, depending on your tires. The max pack battery will get you over 400miles of range.

Tesla still makes a good car. The Model 3 and Y are very reliable and you’ll find a horde of people that just love them. Tesla’s only real downside is they’re led by a dude that has simply lost his dang mind.

I’ve held my nose up at the Lightning. Mostly because Ford had overstated it’s range and some quality issues but I’m curious to see what the 2024 model has in store. Ford added a heat pump to the battery, which should help it perform better in cold weather. They’ve also cut the price to what I consider reasonable. It fully qualifies for the federal tax credit. Here in Colorado, it qualifies for an additional $5500 credit.

BTW, my neighbor has a Ford Mach E. He loves it and it hasn’t given him a single issue.

I don’t have an opinion on GM’s EV products. I just haven’t tried them. I do, however drool over the Hummer EV. I just love the styling. I just don’t have $111000 of love for it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom