Suggestions on a firearm (1 Viewer)

Det. Brees

E tan e epi tas
Reaction score
I retire next year and the wife has bought me an Alaskan bear hunting trip. I have to take a caliber larger than a .336!
any suggestions on calibers and make of the firearm.

Well, first of all.. congratulations on retirement!!!! And mid-50s to boot!!! Helluva job.

Secondly, congrats on wonderful and supportive wife...wow!!!!.... (or maybe she just wants you out of the house for awhile)...

Thirdly, I've no suggestions for a bear rifle... but I will say, you may consider bringing a slow friend in case bear decides to turn the tables... :LOL:

Good luck! Sounds like an absolute incredible trip...

Hard to go wrong with Weatherby rifles when considering large calibers. I have 2 Mark V's in 30-378 and they are very powerful. I would definitely get something with a muzzle brake and good recoil pad, you will definitely need it.

Part of this is: "What do you have experience with?" "What have you hunted before?" Not knowing your experiences, I will base this off of my history. btw... I am not a big dude. I am 5-10" add 175 lbs. Whatever you get, practice with it, and don't shoot more than half a dozen rounds in a session.

#1. for me would be a 375 H&H in a Winchester model 70 or a Ruger M77
(I know, I am kind of a Fudd)

#2. The modern Browning BAR (Browning Autoloading Rifle) can be chambered in 338 Win Mag - If you are worried about a faster second shot.

#3. 35 Whelen

I understand some guides have started to have minimum calibers. I take 2 rifles and a 10mm pistol: A .338 Win Mag. and either a 30-06 or a 45-70. With the proper bullets the venerable 30-06 or 45-70 can take down anything. Honestly, a 30-06 (shooting 190gr bullet) will take anything you want but I understand the minimum requirements when hunting dangerous game.

I was looking at the AR-500 auto mag but very expensive and there are problems with that system. I think I'm going with the 45-70. Its trajectory is a rainbow but I have a strong background in shooting.

but I'm willing to listen to what everyone has to offer

Someone already mentioned the 35 Whelen. If you don’t need a shot over 100 yards and the only need 1 shot. I haven’t seen anything it won’t drop in one center mass shot.

I was looking at the AR-500 auto mag but very expensive and there are problems with that system. I think I'm going with the 45-70. Its trajectory is a rainbow but I have a strong background in shooting.

but I'm willing to listen to what everyone has to offer
I do not know if the AR500 am can do what a .338 WinMag or a 35 Whelen can do. I would confirm that with the guide service before you purchase.

#2. Check local laws. Some places do not allow hunting with AR-style rifles
#3. This is a new round. So if you need to buy ammo (if it gets lost in shipping, etc...) You may not be able to find it. Common calibers are always the best.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom