Saints signed Kicker Charlie Smyth (1 Viewer)

Understand your point, but this is not soccer he plays. And believe me, the game very often does come down to one player making a play at the end of the game - in front of thousands of people, who are rabid about the sport, and they aren't quite strangers either, because the game in insular, and they know you, or your family or people who know you.

I don't know this guy from Adam. But he doesn't play soccer but rather GAA, which is more physical and which is played in a bit of a local pressure cooker environment. I would say he's a goalkeeper apparently, so not as active around the field.

I should also say, I don't really have a vested interest as I don't even like kickers, never have, and would be entirely happy to remove kicking from the game altogether. :)

Fair enough, great points made.

Hopefully he can make the transition and our team can benefit from it!

Looks like a cross between rugby, lacrosse and baseball?
Well, there's gaelic football which is a bit like soccer (ball, goal), basketball with the dribbling type rule and rugby (uprights) I suppose. You can't really tackle the ball carrier as such, but you can rough them up a bit.

There's also hurling which is the same premise, but rather than a football which you have to 'palm' or kick back to yourself every few steps, there's a hurling ball and stick. A bit like lacrosse. You have to hit the ball back to yourself with your hurling stick every few steps, or pass.

…and in an ironic twist, the NFL is banning certain types of tackles and moving quickly toward glorified flag football.

I could be mistaken, but I believe the hip drop tackle originated in this game and it was banned there also.

Gaelic football is not soccer. It does use a soccer ball, an there is a soccer goal. But otherwise, different. Not my game per se, but fun to watch.

Why do they have what looks like a soccer ball in some shots and in other shots they're wearing helmets, carrying a stick and use a ball about the size of a softball in other shots?
Curious, because I know nothing about Gaelic football.

Well I'm pulling for the lad. I'm from Irish descent myself. Bout time we added some green flavor to the black and gold. I hope he comes to camp and makes every kick including a couple 60 yarders

Why do they have what looks like a soccer ball in some shots and in other shots they're wearing helmets, carrying a stick and use a ball about the size of a softball in other shots?
Curious, because I know nothing about Gaelic football.
That video is a mix of two games under the GAA banner -

Gaelic football: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaelic_football

Hurling: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hurling

In any case, this kid is a very long shot as would be the case with anyone switching sports, and to a higher level as well. He's got a big leg which helps, and you could argue that there are only x % of people in the world capable of what he can do. Though I suspect a lad with a big leg is less of a unicorn than a 6'5, 315lb man who is still athletic, robust and driven enough to compete and succeed in the NFL trenches. It's a novelty that he probably lives about 30 minutes away from me though I'm disappointed that in an interview I watched he more or less indicated that there was no football here in Ireland, whereas that's simply not the case and any simple attempt to look for it would have revealed at least 3 teams in the Belfast area, including my own. We could do with a kicker too!

Last edited:
They fill out 90,000 Croke park for Gaelic, and the country is eerily quiet when the final is on because practically everyone is watching.

Other countries also have sports....
I went to Croke Park last year. That stadium tour is one of the most moving tours I have taken in any country, anywhere. The Superdome is inextricably linked to New Orleans and its recent history given it was a shelter of last resort during Katrina, but Croke Park may well surpass it in terms of historical significance and the national identity. The part of the tour where the guide takes you through the events of Bloody Sunday where the Black & Tans entered the stadium and shot and killed players and spectators is absolutely gripping.

If I could travel back in time to any one sporting event, it might be the England/Ireland Six Nations match-up at Croke Park from 2007 (England's first appearance there in 80+ years).

Also, I'd wager that most GAA players are tougher than American kickers who could conceivably go through all of college football without anyone laying a finger on them.

This is a rare occasion where I can actually bring some 'expertise' as Charlie is from the county I follow in Gaelic Football and I have seen him play a bit. He has actually not played a lot at Senior level for his county team, mostly at under 20 so far. Rory Beggan, one of the other Irish hopefuls on the other hand, is a bona fide superstar of the game and the best goalkeeper going back years with a huge leg. There has been a big deal made in Ireland of this small group of Irish kickers and punters trying out for NFL spots and Smyth is by far the youngest at 22 which definitely has to go in his favour for a shot as opposed to Beggan who is into his 30s. He is also pretty big for a goalkeeper and plays at an outfield position for his local club so he will absolutely be ready for the physical side of things.

He is going specifically for a spot as a kicker but definitely could try punting if needed - he would have a big leg for either skill and much like the Aussie players who have come into the US game kicking the ball from the hands is second nature to the Gaelic players.

My understanding of the IPP program this year is that every NFL team is guaranteed an extra slot for an international player on the practice squad and there aren't even 32 players trying out. They are also allowed to activate that international player to the game day roster 4 times per season without him counting against the 48 active players. So it literally makes sense on multiple levels to pick one up presumably on the practice squad rookie minimum (which is still life changing for an amateur Gaelic football player) even if it is just to have them as a project player for several seasons.

The question for a team is really whether you take a chance on a skill position or lineman project rugby player/Olympic athlete or try an Irish or Aussie as a special teamer. Realistically speaking, the odds of the latter making it have to be significantly higher.

Plus for me it would be so much of a novelty to have a Gaelic player from my county playing NFL for the Saints I can't even explain! So hope this works out and we pick him up.

I went to Croke Park last year. That stadium tour is one of the most moving tours I have taken in any country, anywhere. The Superdome is inextricably linked to New Orleans and its recent history given it was a shelter of last resort during Katrina, but Croke Park may well surpass it in terms of historical significance and the national identity. The part of the tour where the guide takes you through the events of Bloody Sunday where the Black & Tans entered the stadium and shot and killed players and spectators is absolutely gripping.

If I could travel back in time to any one sporting event, it might be the England/Ireland Six Nations match-up at Croke Park from 2007 (England's first appearance there in 80+ years).

Also, I'd wager that most GAA players are tougher than American kickers who could conceivably go through all of college football without anyone laying a finger on them.
I think that's well said. Some stadiums are stadiums where games are played, some stadiums have indelible sporting history associated with them, some have that and just wider historical significance and association. The Superdome is one, Croke park is another.

I've lived here a long time and I'm still impressed by the level of fervour around GAA and how embedded it is in local communities.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom