Saints sign LB Khaleke Hudson (1 Viewer)

Interesting. I wonder if they see him as a true LB or more of a 3rd down pass rusher in the Baun type role? I know nothing about the guy, but the videos above seem to show him with some Edge rushing ability. But, maybe it's really more about special teams with the new kickoff rules and LBs likely being the choice for covering kicks with the new rules.

Interesting. I wonder if they see him as a true LB or more of a 3rd down pass rusher in the Baun type role? I know nothing about the guy, but the videos above seem to show him with some Edge rushing ability. But, maybe it's really more about special teams with the new kickoff rules and LBs likely being the choice for covering kicks with the new rules.
He's so small that I don't see any way he could be a real edge rusher. He's more of a weak side money backer than anything. A guy who can play some LB on pass downs and cover and provide occasional edge pressure (plus special teams, obviously). I think he's closer to Johnathan Abram than Zack Baun, but not exactly either. Allen has a penchant for versatile defenders and he definitely fits that mold. If I had to give a comp for him on our roster I would say Nephi Sewell, and that's probably whose role they're trying to fill. Sewell is coming off that major injury and it could be a long time before he's ready and there's no telling if he'll be his old self once back.

More than likely a special teams signing and a guy who can add depth at Linebacker but he is not much of a pass rusher, he was a safety at Michigan who then converted to the hybrid role the Michigan Defense created that got then S/LB Jabrill Peppers in the Heisman race.

He's so small that I don't see any way he could be a real edge rusher. He's more of a weak side money backer than anything. A guy who can play some LB on pass downs and cover and provide occasional edge pressure (plus special teams, obviously). I think he's closer to Johnathan Abram than Zack Baun, but not exactly either. Allen has a penchant for versatile defenders and he definitely fits that mold. If I had to give a comp for him on our roster I would say Nephi Sewell, and that's probably whose role they're trying to fill. Sewell is coming off that major injury and it could be a long time before he's ready and there's no telling if he'll be his old self once back.

The Baun/Elliss role is the role I was referring to where he would the passer in obvious passing situations and maybe even from two point stance. I wasn't suggesting he was a true DE that could play 3 downs.

The Baun/Elliss role is the role I was referring to where he would the passer in obvious passing situations and maybe even from two point stance. I wasn't suggesting he was a true DE that could play 3 downs.
I don't see us even doing that with him, given his size. We'll see though.

• 1Like
Reactions: RJS
More than likely a special teams signing and a guy who can add depth at Linebacker but he is not much of a pass rusher, he was a safety at Michigan who then converted to the hybrid role the Michigan Defense created that got then S/LB Jabrill Peppers in the Heisman race.

Good info. It's interesting that they seem to be intent on adding LB depth this year with this guy and Gay when they have more or less ignored it or filled it with UDFAs for many years. Likely does have something to do with the new kickoff rules.

I don't see us even doing that with him, given his size. We'll see though.

Fair enough. Like I said, I don't know anything about the guy. Just saw him being used to rush off the edge in a two point stance in the videos above and wondered if he was the Baun replacement.

Strengths​

Robust production in 2017 included 17.5 TFLs and eight sacks. Commendable toughness against consistently bigger foes. Early run diagnosis triggers race to beat blockers to the spot. Downhill flow into the gaps looking for work. Sees gaps develop in blocking scheme and fits them downhill. Tremendous burst out of his stance as punt blocker. Twitchy, short-area change of direction in space. Adequate balance in coverage. Instant get-off in race to the punter. Finished career with five blocked punts.

Weaknesses​

Got mauled by Army's rushing attack. His GPS sends him to heavily trafficked areas. Frequently pinballed around by blockers. Hip tightness and short strides prevent recoveries against bounce-wide runs. Has to work overtime to pull away from blocks. Lacks length and pattern anticipation for man coverage. Needs abundance of steps to close downhill from his drops. Average response time to what he sees in zone.

Even on a situational basis he will not be a pass rusher outside of an occasional blitz similar to the use of a safety. The main thing he's likely being brought in for is special teams. Smaller faster LB types will be valuable with the new kickoff rules.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom