Router/Ring Camera Advice (1 Viewer)

Semper

Super Forum Fanatic
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
So I have a ring camera like what I assume is most of the US. A few weeks ago something happened and my ring camera won’t connect to the internet.

I started out by calling ring and explaining it won’t connect they said too far away even though it worked fine for the last year. I brought the camera indoors about 4ft away from the router and still no bueno.

Ring then blamed Spectrum and said something changed.

So I called Spectrum. We went through some diagnostics and he said he sees the camera trying to connect but it isn’t happening. I asked about my service and that I used to have 2.4ghz but now I only see 5ghz. He explained that Spectrum only offers 5ghz with their routers. My Ring camera only connects to 2.4ghz.

So choices…. I could get a new Ring doorbell that does the 5ghz and call it a day. Or I could use my own router.

I do have a new Netgear AX1800 WiFi 6 router I just bought but I am wondering should I just get the new Ring camera and stick with the spectrum router.

Help…

I'd get a new door camera.

I've already stopped using all cameras that require a subscription to use, ie. Ring, Blink, etc.
All of what I use now is from the Eufy brand of security, cameras, door locks, Lights, etc. I get all of these from Amazon.

I see that Walmart is now carrying some Eufy products in the store.
There are no subscriptions.
Check them out on YouTube and see if it's something you're interested in.
I'm not sure what they use as far as frequency goes. My router does both 2.4 and 5 ghz

I ended up getting a new router. Getting better signals in my garage etc than before. Cameras work fine and I don’t have a subscription to ring at all.

I am personally not a fan of any of the doorbell cameras mainly due to the backdoors that exist for law enforcement/hackers to access your camera and download your images without your knowledge.

That said, you should enjoy the new router. I have an Asus Mesh system that extends my range around my entire neighborhood.

www.amazon.com/ASUS-ZenWiFi-AX6600-Tri-Band-XT8/dp/B0CBJQ3BWF

EDIT: It doesn't like the link, so trying to get it to not format it. The name is copy/pasted below.

ASUS ZenWiFi AX6600 Tri-Band Mesh WiFi 6 System (XT8 3PK)​

They have a new Pro version that has stronger radios that I would likely go with if I was doing it over. All about placement and height to get wider coverage.

Mine crapped out about the same time. I figured it was a 5ghz vs. 2.4 issue but haven't done anything yet (too busy with the holidays). I am hoping I can split my router into two different networks (a 5 and a 2.4, I think they currently combine them into one).

I'd get a new door camera.

I've already stopped using all cameras that require a subscription to use, ie. Ring, Blink, etc.
All of what I use now is from the Eufy brand of security, cameras, door locks, Lights, etc. I get all of these from Amazon.

I see that Walmart is now carrying some Eufy products in the store.
There are no subscriptions.
Check them out on YouTube and see if it's something you're interested in.
I'm not sure what they use as far as frequency goes. My router does both 2.4 and 5 ghz

I have a lot of Anker and Eufy items around the house. My only issue is they tend to crap out. Most of my charger cords die eventually and I have been through about 4 of their vacuums. Admittedly that could be from the dog hair...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom